Need a 60cc saw for firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I read different places ,to do a muffler mod you need to split the muffler and weld it back together after gutting . Seem pretty labor intensive for the gains and I don't have the skills to weld it back together.

From what I read different places ,to do a muffler mod you need to split the muffler and weld it back together after gutting . Seem pretty labor intensive for the gains and I don't have the skills to weld it back together.
Not necessarily, it depends on the model. Several saw builders will do this for you as well if you send them the muffler. And one fellow from Iowa, I think @Homelite410 sells modded mufflers for many saws.

Some of the small Dolly muffs are not the easiest to mod. I can't recall if the 5105 is one of 'em. Assuming weight is an issue and why a 60cc saw was sought instead of a 70cc saw, then I still stick to the suggestion of modding the 5105. That said, 20cc jumps between saws works well for many. But I recently bought a MMWS 261v2. It made my slightly lighter 241 and somewhat heavier 7900 seem like extravagances. Ones I have hardly used since. I prefer instead to go from the 261 to the 395. It's quite a jump between cc classes and there is a small sweet spot between them the 7900 could fill, but probably not enough of one to keep it.

Some of the small Dolly muffs are not the easiest to mod. I can't recall if the 5105 is one of 'em. Assuming weight is an issue and why a 60cc saw was sought instead of a 70cc saw, then I still stick to the suggestion of modding the 5105. That said, 20cc jumps between saws works well for many. But I recently bought a MMWS 261v2. It made my slightly lighter 241 and somewhat heavier 7900 seem like extravagances. Ones I have hardly used since. I prefer instead to go from the 261 to the 395. It's quite a jump between cc classes and there is a small sweet spot between them the 7900 could fill, but probably not enough of one to keep it.
I refuse to do another 5105 cat muffler. THEY SUCK :(

Buy the 6100, send it out for a full mod job and watch chips fly. You will be smiling, for sure. Show us a picture.

Seriously considering the 6100 , I'll likely run it stock for a while just to make sure everything is as it should be. I have a really GOOD dealer about 2 hours away I can get one around $560 out the door. Local dealer 20 min. away wants $589 plus tax.
I can buy a 2258 online for $540 PHO to my door.
Im thinking dealer support might be well worth the extra $.

I just got a 562 after much thought and deliberation... Common bar mount, solid power, good fuel economy, and supported a local dealer who have a very fair price... I really like the 555 for the $$$ as well with a muffler mod.

I know some guys been beating that silly 6100 drum for 3 years now.

I just grabbed a 562XP tonight from a friendly local dealer who gave me a great deal, if we didn't have so many nice sized Oaks here in WA and larger softwoods as well... If I just needed a 12"-18" firewood saw and didnt ever plan on wanting or needing the cabability the 555 would be a fun saw as well with a 20" bar and a muffler mod. On the lower price end I'd even take a CS590/600/620 for bucking as well. I have only heard good things about the Dolmars, no personal experience.

***Sorry for the kinda double post, phone acts up out here.***

The weight penalty with a 70cc saw is slight, the power difference is not. And saws like the Echo 590 and Dolmar 6100 are just as heavy as a 372. IMHO a 60cc saw just isn't a big jump in power over a 50cc and I don't think it's worth the money. If you want a true jump in power and have way more capability, don't waste your time with anything 60cc. If you want a saw that self adjusts go with a Stihl.

I've owned saws from 35cc to 120+cc and the best combination is still a good 50cc and 70cc saw.

Later.

Andre.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Here is the 5105 I did. And lastly 2159 that's so much easier. Carl.....
1a4c6153d071b2f3c7b2f37edacdb929.jpg
ba7cc109514d9b3236e695561dbb26e5.jpg
a33e12ecfcd3218edde3e97d53a2f4a2.jpg
9ef77d8c75e2b4d4bdeda98ab4283d90.jpg

I'm gonna agree with @Andyshine77 on this one. If you wanna make a trip to Missouri I have every saw you have listed but the 590. Here's my break down. If your leaving it stock. Your not gonna beat the 6100. The echo will be out last unless your goin after the 620. The 2258 is a fantastic saw but will not even bite on the 6100 power butvits lighter. By a pound I believe. But if your worried about weight. Trust me. The time spent using the saw will be much less with a 70cc class. I hate bending over. So my saws of choice are always the big 70cc class with a 28" bar and the 50cc class with a 20". The top of the 50cc class IMO is the 5105. Then the 70cc class well there something I like about several. Old school 372xp. Lightest of the class and run dam hard especially built. 460 stihl. Almost bullet proof but a lot rougher AV. The 7910. Yeep there's the ticket. All good choices. Put them in your hands and see what ya like.

Best of luck in choosing one. As you didn't pick a bad one.

Back