Need a 60cc saw for firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_1639.JPG
So you're saying a non cat muffler on my 5105 will make a huge difference? I know where iI can pick one up for $50 ,is it worth it?
A muffler and a little timing advance. And you'll definitely notice. And the better thing is it will help your saw run much cooler. Which is much better for longevity. Here's how I like to do the 5105 mufflers.

I'm gonna agree with @Andyshine77 on this one. If you wanna make a trip to Missouri I have every saw you have listed but the 590. Here's my break down. If your leaving it stock. Your not gonna beat the 6100. The echo will be out last unless your goin after the 620. The 2258 is a fantastic saw but will not even bite on the 6100 power butvits lighter. By a pound I believe. But if your worried about weight. Trust me. The time spent using the saw will be much less with a 70cc class. I hate bending over. So my saws of choice are always the big 70cc class with a 28" bar and the 50cc class with a 20". The top of the 50cc class IMO is the 5105. Then the 70cc class well there something I like about several. Old school 372xp. Lightest of the class and run dam hard especially built. 460 stihl. Almost bullet proof but a lot rougher AV. The 7910. Yeep there's the ticket. All good choices. Put them in your hands and see what ya like.

Best of luck in choosing one. As you didn't pick a bad one.
You don't have a good 372 xp around that you'd like to get rid of???

You don't have a good 372 xp around that you'd like to get rid of???
Do you have one of those mufflers you'd like to sell??
I have any new jonsered or makita/Dolmar. But used I have a customer 7910 here he wants to sell. Best person IMO to get ahold of for a nice used old school 372 is @Jacob J. as far as the muffler. Drop me a pm. I'm sure we can work out modding yours. :)

Ok mate, 60cc saws are awesome. Best combination of weight vs power. (For my 46 year old back anyway).
I have a 50cc saw and a 73cc saw and a 92cc saw. For me, the 60cc does it all. But i just use mine around the farm and for firewood. If i was only to have 1 saw (lol, as if!), For my firewood/general needs, i would personally have a 60cc saw. I can use mine all day on firewood and smaller farming duties and my back isnt too bad at the end of it.
My choices,
Well i love pro saws, but they come with a price tag and less warranty.
I dont think you could go past the following,
Echo CS620
Shindaiwa 600sx
Makita Dolmar 6000.
All great machines and should last a lifetime. I would favour the Shindaiwa because they are cheap here in OZ $1200au

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

60 cc saw ? 2260/562/555/2258 would be my choice. I have 2260's little brother, 2253 and its amazing for 50cc. Autotune is awesome, nice not having to mess with carb settings. 2258/555 are a really good firewood saw for the money.

Ok I'm in the market for a 60 cc firewood saw. I have a small Echo top handle and a Dolmar 5105. Looking for a good dependable 60cc saw . Considering husky 555 / jonsered 2258, Dolmar 6100,maybe an Echo 590. I would prefer to keep with the same mount bar and chain as the 5105 . I still have a good 20" bar and a few loops of chain from a 455 Rancher I parted with. I'll add I'm a little Leary of auto tune wondering if service life of the saw may be shorter with AT. Thanks in advance for your input!!!
Go to Flea Bay and CL and find yourself a clean 61! Can't beat em!!!

Ok, 6100 it is! I'm in the market for a 6100, dealers around here are few and far between. What's a reasonable price for a 6100??
Good saw and a fine choice.

With that said, I would at least experience running both a 60cc saw and a 70cc like the Dolmar 7910 before you make your final decision. The weight and size difference between the 6100 and 7910 isn't a whole lot, but again the power difference is huge. This way you can make an informed decision based on actual experience, and not a discussion based upon the recomdations of a bunch of forum members.[emoji6] With a 20" bar the 7910 will be a lightsaber and when you run into a big one you can slap a 32" bar on her and have some real fun.

Just my opinion here, have fun with whatever you end up with.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

For those who like numbers: the advertised specs put the 7910 at 1.5# heavier than the 6100. 78.5 cc versus 61 cc. 5.7 hp versus 4.5 hp. 11% more power head weight, 29% more displacement, 27% more hp. I'm going to guess that the working weight difference with same bar and chain is more like 8% - so a lot of bang for the weight difference, but a pound and a half is still a pound and half.

That said I am a 60 cc saw fan for a one saw plan for general firewood work. Not too small and not too big.

Ron

I have uncertain feelings about Dolmars future under Makita. I am seeing cost cutting, they are currently the most expensive in their respective classes and i am sceptical that the Dolmar brand will continue to be what it once was.
Just a feeling i have

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

For those who like numbers: the advertised specs put the 7910 at 1.5# heavier than the 6100. 78.5 cc versus 61 cc. 5.7 hp versus 4.5 hp. 11% more power head weight, 29% more displacement, 27% more hp. I'm going to guess that the working weight difference with same bar and chain is more like 8% - so a lot of bang for the weight difference, but a pound and a half is still a pound and half.

That said I am a 60 cc saw fan for a one saw plan for general firewood work. Not too small and not too big.

Ron
60cc saws are the most logical choice if you plan on only having one saw, no doubt about that.

The specifications are meaningful, but it's a small picture of true capability and real world difference. I personally simply feel upgrading to a 60 from a 50 just isn't worth the expense. If you want a true upgrade in power and overall capability, do it right the first time and get something in 70cc.

The 7910 can loose a little bit of weight with the SLR muffler delete. That will also move power back to 6.2hp like the 7900.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back