Need advice for new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ive been reading all the stihl posts i can, it always comes down to some one recomending the 361 or the 5100 for everything. nearest 5100 is 40 miles. its hard to justify 600+ for a saw for firewood. im not an enthusiast i just want a saw that will cut 3-4 cords a year without breaking down all the time.

if the 361 is that much better than the 290 or 310 i would like to know why. weight is not that much of a factor for me.

You aren't the only one who thinks that. If you've been here for any length of time, you would think that everyone has a 361. Not true. Some of the most longest-lived knowledgeable posters here have collections of yard sale acquisitions and nary a 361 in the bunch.

I ran a demo and I was impressed with that model. It was a quick accelerating saw and ran high rpms in the cut. I challenge you to name anyone who regret buying one.

i could name somebody that regrets buying one. :taped:

Jonsered 2171

You can't buy this saw for $500 but if you are looking for one of the best (in my opinion) firewood saws made I'd wait and buy this one. I use Husqvarna, Stihl and Jonsered and I use the 2171 for the size you are talking about. The other saws that everyone mentioned are great also, they just don't have the same bite in my opinion.

Yeup the MS361 is a full on "Pro" saw and does not oil at idle. You will not be sorry that you spent the extra money on the 361. At this point I would say get the 18" B&C, I really prefer a 20" B&C on an "all rounder" but it sounds like you have a good supply of under 20" wood in mind right now and the 18" bar will handle all of that with ease. After you have exhausted that supply of smaller wood and find you need something bigger you will have saved enough on your heating bill to be able to afford a 24" B&C to compliment the 18 incher you already have. An MS361 is right at home with the 20" B&C and would be an excellent choice, but the 18" is a little faster in the bigger wood and a little more nimble for the limbing duties. An 18 and 24 inch combo is the ideal situation for a 361 in hard wood and if you ever pinch the saw you can take the pinched bar off and put the other one on and cut the pinched bar out. (always think ahead ;) ) Glad you finally found a dealer who would work with you and you made a wise choice on the saw. Good luck, cut safe and wear the PPE.

Come back and let us know how you like it and keep hanging around lots of stuff to be learned here, like how to sharpen a chain for instance. :D

I would way prefere the 18" bar to the 20" one as the "normal" bar - the saw will be more agile, and handle better!

Actually, I prefere an even shorter one for most of my use......

Went to out to visit my mom today about 30 miles from my house she wasn't home so i went to this little dealer by her house. And i dont know if it was luck or not but he had a new shindaiwa 488 and a used one let me take the used one out back and cut with it not to bad starts real easy and is very light weight we got to talking and next thing i know i was already back home with the new 488 for only 329.00 will cut with it this year with the money i saved i will have enogh to get my ductwork in for my new wood burner thanks to all for the great advice and i can see this could turn into me buying lots of saws don't know why but i love messing with them.

Great to hear you bought a new saw! There is a pro filter kit for the 488 and that might be a good upgrade latter on. You can upgrade the chain on it as well. Im not sure what they set you up with but it may be safety chain which cuts a little slow.

Latest posts

Back