Need advice for new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i guess i would have to say the same thing. i guess my dealer is better than i thought. just dropped another $115 on chaps and helmet all this safety talk got through to me. hey maybe that guy has a boss that wants to sell a saw.
my dealer started at $579 and i got it for $529 w/ 20" bar upgrade, but they will get there money back in parts and service. hope they get my 038 fixed, i miss that saw
ms361

good luck!

These guys are telling you to get a lot of saw for a little wood. I would go handle the 290,310,390 and 361. You will not feel a big difference. Sure if you were cutting all day everyday you may want to spend the extra money. For 3 or 4 cords I would go with one of the mid range saws at half the price and maybe an extra bar incase you get yours pinched. I also suggest you talk to all your dealers first I have half a dozen dealers in my area and only one works with me on price.

346xp cuts a bit quicker than the ms260 but the 260 has been around a long time many used parts out there they are bulletproof. Troll has a 346xp and a 353 and he doesn't use the 353 much anymore. I would go with 346xp or ms260 you can't go wrong with either. The 353 pretty much a 350 with a magnesium cranckcase and also a good saw just a step down from 346xp. I would lean towards the 346xp on pricepoint or go with the nicest/closest dealer.

The NE346xp is way more saw than both the 353 and the 260, those are pretty close, except the 260 vibrates your hands off - more or less.....

Do a google search of Jonsered chainsaws. There is a non AS sponsor out there that has the Jonsered 2165's for $509 with 2 chains. They also have 2171's for $629 same deal. Can't go wrong with either one of those.
If you need to go smaller, they have good prices on the 2159 and 2152. I'm a believer in the pro saws also.

My 2065 with an 16'' bar flies. It has put all my 50 to 59cc saws on the shelf. Plus you can run up to a 24'' on it no problem. For the money that 65cc range covers alot of wood.

Do a google search of Jonsered chainsaws. There is a non AS sponsor out there that has the Jonsered 2165's for $509 with 2 chains. They also have 2171's for $629 same deal. Can't go wrong with either one of those.
If you need to go smaller, they have good prices on the 2159 and 2152. I'm a believer in the pro saws also.

My 2065 with an 16'' bar flies. It has put all my 50 to 59cc saws on the shelf. Plus you can run up to a 24'' on it no problem. For the money that 65cc range covers alot of wood.

I really can not argue with a 65 cc pro saw for 500 bucks. That may be the way to go If you have a dealer near ya for parts.

The NE346xp is way more saw than both the 353 and the 260, those are pretty close, except the 260 vibrates your hands off - more or less.....

Ya sure about that. According to the va ditty o evidence you are mistaken.

Look how smooth that 026 is. Quite obvious it doesn't need springs to dampen vibration that isn't there to begin with. Now that saw in the middle there with the ants in its pants, man that thing needs springs and shock asborbers both,LOL Checkem out ole boy.

Tell me ole boy, I got a shake, rattle and roller and oil leaker, will I ever get a good one,LOL

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l15/THALL10326/?action=view&current=vibration.flv

Last edited:
Ya sure about that. According to the va ditty o evidence you are mistaken.

Look how smooth that 026 is. Quite obvious it doesn't need springs to dampen vibration that isn't there to begin with. Now that saw in the middle there with the ants in its pants, man that thing needs springs and shock asborbers both,LOL Checkem out ole boy.

Tell me ole boy, I got a shake, rattle and roller and oil leaker, will I ever get a good one,LOL

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l15/THALL10326/?action=view¤t=vibration.flv

If you set the middle one on concrete it would wear a hole through the case in no time.....:) :)

Dolmar PS5100 has many advantages

1. Better power-to-weight ratio than any comparable saw on the market Dolmar PS5110 (3.7hp, 11.2 lbs) Stihl MS290 (3.8hp, 13lbs.) Husky 359 (3.9hp, 12.1lbs.)
2. No engine vibration felt in handle while cutting
3. Can take up to a 28" bar if needed, by running a semi-skip/skip chain
4. Runs faster than any other saw on the market (14,500rpm)
5. 4 times the warranty (one year as compared to 90 days)
6. Costs less than any other comparable saw

Obviously, SawTroll hasn't used a 260...

I agree that the 346xp may be a newer faster saw but arguing that the 260 will vibrate your hands off is ludicrous.

I respect you SawTroll but if you have trouble with the 260 vibs then you have a bigger problem than running a saw.

My 026 Pro is so smooth that I'm not sure that AV would be more of a liability rather or a safety feature.

Now if you want a smooth running saw, try the 441. Yeah, it's fat but it doesn't try to shake itself apart like other saws in it's size class. Now my 7900s' are smooth in the cut but at idle dance a bit. I expect that in a larger saw. 361's Smooth, nice, and don't feel like you've been handling a Sherman Tank all day.

Buy the 361 for $599 + Tax.

Dolmar PS5100 has many advantages

1. Better power-to-weight ratio than any comparable saw on the market Dolmar PS5110 (3.7hp, 11.2 lbs) Stihl MS290 (3.8hp, 13lbs.) Husky 359 (3.9hp, 12.1lbs.)

3. Can take up to a 28" bar if needed, by running a semi-skip/skip chain

PS5110 ??? New model???

28" bar on 5100...????

Sorry for the typo, I meant PS5100.

Yes the 5100 will take a 28" bar, and can handle it with a 3/8" skip chain. I would not recommend cutting all day every day with a 28" bar, but if the occasion arises it sure beats buying a whole new saw just to make a couple of cuts. I cut every day with a PS5100 using a 20" bar and 3/8", .050, semi-skip chain. It handles it very well.

Sorry for the typo, I meant PS5100.

Yes the 5100 will take a 28" bar, and can handle it with a 3/8" skip chain. I would not recommend cutting all day every day with a 28" bar, but if the occasion arises it sure beats buying a whole new saw just to make a couple of cuts. I cut every day with a PS5100 using a 20" bar and 3/8", .050, semi-skip chain. It handles it very well.

Can I put a 28" on the PS401 too......

7900 Dolmar $ 50 bucks more than a 361 but has 2 more hp. Dont own one but looked impressive there should be some vids over on utube

You can purchase up to a 22" bar that will fit on a 401, but good luck finding anything other than a full comp chain in 3/8" lo-pro.

First the vibrations on the ms260 are not bad! The 346xp is smoother granted and has more jam but both are fine saws. If I was buying new I would go with the better dealer. The PS5100 should not have a 28" bar on it even with skip that will push it too hard. If you read the post he is cutting up to 18" hardwood and a 50cc prosaw should be perfect for that size of tree. The PS5100 is a great saw but the dealer support is not the best. If you want to get the work done quicker opt for the MS361 but a MS260 or 346xp should be enough saw to cut your firewood. I would wait a little think it over and decide Which one you like the most and if you want to spend the extra money on a 60cc saw.

Latest posts

Back