Need advice for new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

can anyone compare the 359 to the ne346xp they are just about the same price.

If they are about the same price, then the 359 will be your best bet with a 18" bar. A 361 will be good too with a 18" bar.:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

Last edited:
For the 500 bucks I,d go with a basket case 066 & put a bailey.s piston & jug kit on it . Mod the muffler .Even if you do bearing & labor to pull apart the cases you should nt go over. With a 18" roller tip bar 8 tooth it will blow the doors off a 3 series saw.

was just looking on stihls website is the 260 and the 260 pro the same besides the compression release and adjustable oiler and is those things worth 50.00 extra?

was just looking on stihls website is the 260 and the 260 pro the same besides the compression release and adjustable oiler and is those things worth 50.00 extra?
Yes you are correct those are the only differences except the addition of a pro sticker. IMO I don't think they are worth the extra $50.

"or one mid echo, one small echo, maul, and chaps.
i own the ms361, i love it. but the echo cs-440 can handle most of my cutting too!"

Good idea. We're still evaluating the CS-360T. Fine tuned it after the first couple of tankfuls, leaning it up some to bring it up to full potential. That is one fast cutting little saw, and I'm really starting to like it! A CS-520 and the 360T would make an excellent pair of saws if all we did was cut tops.....Cliff

There is a nice looking Woods Ported 361 right now on the "Tradin' Post" for $465.

Buy it! Buy it! Buy it!

You will not be disappointed with the 361 at all and to get one that has already been professionally modded is just icing on the cake.

well i got some side work lined up for tommorrow for a extra 100 to the budget so i will have 600 going tommorrow afternoon and offer the dealer 600 out the door for a 361 or 357xp surely i can get one of them.this will be the only saw i can buy for awhile so im going to get a pro model so maybe i won't have any doubts that i should have got one in the 1st place

micah5634 Take a look at the 361 in the trading post http://www.arboristsite.com/pp-classifieds/showproduct.php?product=1095&cat=6 it looks like a nice saw. I paid $589.00 for my 361 a little over a year ago, so you should be able to pick one up for $600.

Pick of my 361.
attachment.php

If you consider resale value, your best bet is STIHL the 361. LOL And everbody will agree that with proper maintance you'll pass it on to your kids.

can anyone compare the 359 to the ne346xp they are just about the same price.
There is quite some weight differense, much more than the specs tell you - so they aren't really comparable.

The 346 is a faster reving saw, and more responsive to use, but still has a nice wide power-band. :) :)

Both will probably come with a cat muffler in the US, so you will need an extra non-cat one, or have the dealer change it out for you.

You can't really go wrong with either, but for the weight of the 359 I would want more power!

Go to the dealer, and handle both, if possible run them as well.....

Over here the 361 cost less than both, so it is a nobrainer, but not so in the US.

To me, the 359 is totally uninteresting, but the NE346 is an interesting animal - great saw for its weight!!!!

Last edited:
i wish i could bring home a 361 and a 390 or 310 and cut for a day. that would make my choice easier.

my dealer took the time to show me the difference in how they are put together, the 361 has more replaceable parts and is built better. I'm no professional but after cutting with an 038 for a few years i felt i would be disappointed with a lesser saw. Also my 038 is still cutting wood and it was made in the 80's. With gas prices here in wisconsin it won't take long to pay for itself, and it looks like i'll be stuck with it for a long time, my vote is scrape up the extra jing and go pro. I can't see where you would regret it
my 361 will finally get a fair test in the woods today but i love it so far
ms361

Last edited:
I agree, as much as I know about saws, the only newer ones we've used to any extent have been Echo's, couple of Lowe's grade Husky's, and a couple of the smaller Stihl's.

I can say for certain, that the MS250 experience was uneventful, nothing impressive about that saw at any level.

I also owned a small Husky 141 briefly, it acted like a small orange Poulan or Sears Craftsman saw.

I don't think you can go wrong buying a Husky or Stihl Professional model. WAY back in the late 70's, I was out of work for a short period of time, and cut firewood to pay the bills.

I started out with cheap saws, and worn out half a dozen of them, or they were simply too unreliable/slow to stay in the line-up. Completely frustrated, I beg, borrowed and stole enough money to get a brand new Husqvarna 480CD. It cost at least 4 times as much as anything else I'd been using at that time.

28 years later it is still in the line-up, and runs as good today as the day I bought it. We've worn out scores of drive sprockets, bars and chains. A few years ago the linkage on the carburetors main shaft required silver brazing in place, and the tank vent cleaned out. Otherwise, it has never given any troubles in any area. I'm sitting here not regretting the decision to spend the money, although at that time it was a HUGE decision.

Coincidentally, I got married the same year as we bought the 480CD, the wife is still around here as well, I sure wished she was as reliable as the old Husky!......Cliff

well just got back from stihl/husky dealers offered him 600.00 out the door on the 361 or husky 357xp cash and he said no 599 plus tax for the 361 and 639 plus tax for the 357xp i also stop by another stihl dealer 1 mile from the house and he said no to the 600 too but would take 500 out the door for a 260 pro.I have 5 dealers within 30 miles of me but all them act like the don't
care if you buy anything or not.

That is too bad. Those prices are pretty close to what you had. What are you thinking now which one did you like the most.

The husky ne346 and the 260 pro felt the beat to me followed by the husky 353 prices were 260 pro 500.00 ne346xp 475.00 and 353 399.00 any thoughts between these 3

346xp cuts a bit quicker than the ms260 but the 260 has been around a long time many used parts out there they are bulletproof. Troll has a 346xp and a 353 and he doesn't use the 353 much anymore. I would go with 346xp or ms260 you can't go wrong with either. The 353 pretty much a 350 with a magnesium cranckcase and also a good saw just a step down from 346xp. I would lean towards the 346xp on pricepoint or go with the nicest/closest dealer.

their was one more i forgot about the husky 359 for 489.00 but he said he would have to order one but it would only take 2 days to get it have you seen or used the 359?

The 359 cuts a bit quicker than a 346xp as it is 59cc and is built like a prosaw but is a bit heavy for the power it puts out. They are good value for the money but I would rather have a 346xp or ms260 as they are light and nimble. Make sure the 346xp your looking at has a grey side cover that is the newer version which has a 50cc engine and a wider powerband.

Latest posts

Back