Need advice for new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dolmar 5100s

I would like to look at the 5100 but the closest dealer is 125 miles away i called them and the said 419.00 plus tax. any thoghts on the shindaiwa 488 for 360.00

Micah,

They are some Dolmar's including the 5100S on evil-bay right now. The 5100 is going for $399 and $15 shipping new in the box with warrentee. Just passing that one to you. Also I've seen them for $379 and even a little less. Best saw the money IMO, all around firewood saw.:cheers:

For what your doing the 290/310 is fine but you can get a 346xp or a 357xp which are prosaws or 359 and I think those are better choices but it really is a personal thing. I would go check them all out again handle them a bit and decide which saw feels right in your hands.

As far as Stihl's go, since the 361 is out of your budget, I'd recommend the 260 Pro over the 290. Since I'm a small guy, the lighter weight of the 260 is a worth more than the power gain of the 290. I have a 260 that I use to cut 10-18" firewood and the guy I cut with has a 290. I'll take mine over his any day. The main thing is finding one that's comfortable for you to handle. Any of the saws recommended will cut wood. Get something that wears you out and you'll be running the chain into the ground or worse.

if the 361 is that much better than the 290 or 310 i would like to know why. weight is not that much of a factor for me.

The 361 is a PRO saw. The 290/310/390 are MID RANGE Consumer saws.

The 361 has more metal in the construction and is generally put together better, has improved filtration, superior Anti-Vibration (namely springs), making it very smooth to operate. As a result of the better construction, the life expectancy is generally longer.

Also - the 361 while having a smaller displacement than the 390 actually puts out MORE power.

Going tommorrow to look at stihl 310 390 260 pro and the husky 460 ne346xp and the 359 to see what feels the best in my hands.

ive been reading all the stihl posts i can, it always comes down to some one recomending the 361 or the 5100 for everything. nearest 5100 is 40 miles. its hard to justify 600+ for a saw for firewood. im not an enthusiast i just want a saw that will cut 3-4 cords a year without breaking down all the time.

if the 361 is that much better than the 290 or 310 i would like to know why. weight is not that much of a factor for me.

I think a 353 Husky would meet your needs. I have cut a pile of wood with mine. They are around $360.00 at a dealer. I have an outside WB and go through a pile of wood a year. I heat 2 homes with it. I burn at least 10 cords a year and this saw has been great. I have owned it 5 years and never even a hiccup. I take good care of it though. I also have a 372XP and it has low hours and sees much less use than the 353. A 70cc saw is overkill and is a status symbol for the casual user who is using the saw for firewood. Let's face it, he is not a professional logger and 3 to 4 chord a year is not that much wood. I am not sure what is comparable in a Stihl, but whatever might be comparable would be fine. This guy does not need a $600.00 or $700.00 dollars saw.

Last edited:
For what your doing the 290/310 is fine but you can get a 346xp or a 357xp which are prosaws or 359 and I think those are better choices but it really is a personal thing. I would go check them all out again handle them a bit and decide which saw feels right in your hands.

For $500 the best saw available is going to be the 357XP. Its a fantastic firewood saw and the Cadillac of that price range. Next will be the Stihl MS390 and Husky 359.

The Dolmar 5100 for $400 out the door is a great value also. It wont handle 20" logs like the other saws I listed though.

The Shindaiwa 488 is a great saw, less power than the others listed but very dependable. Also you would have enough cash left over for a pair of chaps and some headgear.

That extra $150 for the 361 spread out over the life of that saw is well worth every penny.

It not only would handle the wood you mention but might be used for a few bigger projects if the occasion should arise.

I've actually bought both my 361's off of Ebay with no problems. It worked for me and I saved a few $$. Look them over good and ask lots of questions.

In my opinion, the 361 is one of the most nimble, easiest to use, and one heck of a fun saw to cut with.

I love my 026 Pro but it isn't a 361.

where can i buy a 357xp for 500.00 they are 639.00 at 3 dealers i checked??

I was wondering the same.

Around here the 357xp is actually more expensive than the MS361.

Funny thing is I just found a local Dolmar dealer here. I can pick up a 5100 with an 18" b/c for $375 but they want $725 for the 7900 without b/c.

Last edited:
I was in your shoes for years, The 290 suited me perfect. I still have it and it will be running when Im gone. You can still get them on sale for 330 with a 20 inch bar. At 3 to 4 cords a year heck even 10 cords a year the extra pound will never bother you. That saw with proper care is good for 1000 to 2000 cords so it will last you between 250 and 500 years. Good luck

One saw will never cut it. More than likely you will get "pinched" or hit something and dull the chain on most outings. Instead of wasting precious time trying to free the bar when you get one stuck, grab the back up saw and cut her free in seconds. Waste a chain, no problem, grab the back-up saw and keep cutting, mess around with changing chains between outings.

If all you are doing is cutting firewood for home heating, small stuff less than 18", you can get two medium size Echo saws, a good splitting maul, and a log lift and still make the budget.

Although there is nothing overly impressive about any of Echo saws we own/use, they start with one or two pulls, run flawlessly, VERY thrifty on fuel, and never, ever, give us any troubles anyplace requiring anything other than "normal" maintenence.

Even being a tried and true Husqvarna fan, there is not need to spend a lot of money on high end Husqvarna's, or even the better Stihl saws, just to cut small stuff for home heating......Cliff

+1
or one mid echo, one small echo, maul, and chaps.
i own the ms361, i love it. but the echo cs-440 can handle most of my cutting too!

Well, if you are looking NEW and your $500 budget is inflexible

MS 310 plus a pair of chaps will be just over 500 by the time you add tax and or extra goodies.

If you are looking to spend extra - MS 361. It's a nice jack of all trades saw.

If neither of those excite you, I would look for a used saw on CL or here.

I to agree the Ms 361 would be a great saw for you

can anyone compare the 359 to the ne346xp they are just about the same price.

I'm a firewood cutter too. I got my 361 out the door w/ a20" bar for $529 plus tax. Is there that much difference between dealers and states?

Latest posts

Back