Need advice on which pole saw to buy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bought a 327PT5s telescopic a while back, very user friendly. The dealer I bought from sells Efco, Stihl and Husky. I read reviews before my purchase, hard to find any negative ones. The dealer confirmed what I found online, his customers have been very happy with the saw, me too now. The business end of the saw is lighter by quite a bit from the other brands. Very well balanced.

Thanks for the input so far, it's been helpful. I have a manual pole saw/pruner that I've been using for years, but I'm at the point where I need to get up on a ladder to get to some of the higher stuff. I don't feel comfortable working the manual saw while on the ladder, and there are some larger diameter limbs that need to come down as well. I am going to take a look at some of the other brands as well. Any other opinions would be appreciated!

Thanks for the input so far, it's been helpful. I have a manual pole saw/pruner that I've been using for years, but I'm at the point where I need to get up on a ladder to get to some of the higher stuff. I don't feel comfortable working the manual saw while on the ladder, and there are some larger diameter limbs that need to come down as well. I am going to take a look at some of the other brands as well. Any other opinions would be appreciated!

I would like to put out a word of caution about cutting branches while on a ladder. I have had personal bad experiences doing that and can't recommend it. I occasionally will use a ladder to get up in a tree but like to be in the tree and not on the ladder when cutting. Maybe time to rent one of those manlifts that can be towed behind a pickup truck. Cheaper than a trip to the hospital.

Love my HT 101. Never really had a need for more powerful 131. Also never felt a need to pivot the head. I guess I just rotate the whole saw as needed. The telescoping shaft is heavy, but I guess that's the trade off for the height.

I got the Husky you mentioned last fall. Even with the harness on it will give you a work out. Its a solid unit, dependable and easy to transport in my Tacoma. I am thinking about doing a muffler mod on it though. I bought a high end Husky gas hedge trimmer a few years back, and this spring noticed it seemed to lack throttle response and power, there was also excessive oil stains around the muffler shroud.
After disassembly, I found husky installed a fire resistant mat and sandwiched it between the muffler and another steel plate, reducing the muffler port by 50% or so. I removed those two items and its like a new set of prunners.
I also think they may have the same design on my pole saw as it sounds the same as my hedge trimmer did, but not seeing the oil (yet). Pretty sure those plates at 50:1 will increase carbon deposits and reduce flow as I saw on my prunner. I may go take a look at it today as I wait for the furniture delivery.
Be sure to use something other than an ethanol fuel mix if your not going to use your pole saw often like I do. I haven't had any trouble with mine, but use trufuel in all the gas two strokes that seem to be more seasonal items.

Used an old Stihl 2-stroker once (not a 4mix) and came away thinking it was a good unit, HT75 or something like that. Ended up buying an Echo PPT-260, price was better.

I've had no issues with the Echo. Always starts and runs and does what's asked of it.

Back