Need help picking a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay how would I reach him. I will try google his millermodsaws I guess
His name is Carl Miller.
660-562-7766
Here's his ad for the two saws he just listed.
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/mms-5105-x-2.314362/
I want to be in the fub zone!! I want a good saw not a plastic saw. Being a tech I dont like to buy cheap. I want good saw that some day I can pass down to my boy.
Don't dog a plastic saw to much, it may have a better record than you would think. Many guys around here enjoy their modded 350 huskys, mine is a 2145 red with a ported 346 cylinder, lots of fun :). Also with the amount you are going to be using a saw the main issue you should encounter is carb problems from not using it much.
I do enjoy quality tools, but at the same time it's hard to spend money on snap on when I don't make money at wrenching, and I can buy myself a couple sets of cheaper(not harbor freight) tools and still be able to afford a new set for my son when he's older.
I've cut a lot of wood with plastic saws, but get on an enthusiast site and everyone will say you need a pro...lol.
If you can afford it buy a nice pro saw, I was just saying you don't "need" one ;).

There is no need to buy a plastic saw, as there are manufacturers that have competitively priced non-plastic saws that run similarly or better.

Carbs get gummed up when you use ethanol fuel and when you run your equipment dry for storage. Very long term storage is a different story, but for up to a year or so use premium, non-ethanol fuel and lots of stabilizer. Fill them to the top and put them away. I just put mine away today (all of them filled to the brim). Works for me anyway. I will start them in the spring when I use them and fill them up after I burn about 1/2 tank. Anything that has a pet cock is left "on" and full to the brim. Today was winterizing day for me. Bikes, saws, pumps, and a few other pieces put to bed until next time.

I was a bit skeptical about that ms261. It looked too good to be true.

Don't be too afraid of shipping. I was fortunate recently to acquire another Jonsered 590. It was shipped almost all the way across the country and I still did ok I think. My old 590's are the best saws I own. There's just something special about how they handle and especially their power characteristics. Now I have two so that I should always have one...strangely, they hold their tune far better in changing conditions than my newer saws. Idkw.

You don't necessarily have to be afraid of used saws. Just wary.

No i
His name is Carl Miller.
660-562-7766

Don't dog a plastic saw to much, it may have a better record than you would think. Many guys around here enjoy their modded 350 huskys, mine is a 2145 red with a ported 346 cylinder, lots of fun :). Also with the amount you are going to be using a saw the main issue you should encounter is carb problems from not using it much.
I do enjoy quality tools, but at the same time it's hard to spend money on snap on when I don't make money at wrenching, and I can buy myself a couple sets of cheaper(not harbor freight) tools and still be able to afford a new set for my son when he's older.
I've cut a lot of wood with plastic saws, but get on an enthusiast site and everyone will say you need a pro...lol.
If you can afford it buy a nice pro saw, I was just saying you don't "need" one ;).[/QUOTE

I total hear what your saying! I Know your are right that a plastic saw would do me just fine. I get cought up in the power to weight numbers. I was this new gas from the saw shop that comes pre mixed. they say it is really high octane and has stabilizer in it as well. I run that in my camping saw for two years now and it starts rigt up every spring.

Okay you guys all have been so good to me about sharing your knowledge with.
LETS TALK Carbs. Should I stay away from the new electronic carb like the ms 261 or 550xp. Being a tech I have no prob with adjusting my saw. My dad was great with saws and he showed me how to adjust your saw when I was young.
I have looked on the site for info on the new carbs. I see some people are having probs with there husky cabs(hot starts). So what can you guys tell me.
I sure apreciate all the help guys. I done mean to be a pain in the ass, i just wont to buy a great saw and make the right choice the first time.

IMO there is absolutely no need for electronic tuning of fuel delivery in chainsaws. It takes seconds to look after adjustments yourself. In this day and age, many folks don't want to do that. The damn EPA has ruined a lot of good equipment and is slowly melting our brains.

It is not sorted yet, this electronic saw stuff. That is obvious.

It took a long, long time for electronic fuel delivery in dirt bikes to match the characteristics of a properly tuned carb. These days fuel injection is better than carbs. Definitely easier. One less thing to worry about.

Such it will be with saws. Not yet, IMO.

Just my opinion. My 2c

But I would sure like to have one of those new ms261's anyway!!

I just like 50cc saws for what I do. But I usually grab the ps420. Go figure. Now that I have two old 590's I will be using them more. Eenie meenie miny moe.

If you can afford the expensive ones and don't have to rely on a saw to put cash in your jeans, or you can put off your saw chores if necessary then by all means, go for it! Get the Stihl. Or the Husky. Or the Stihl...it is much more likely to work out good than bad, based on the rumours (some of which are facts).

Too bad the Dolmar 5000 isn't available here. There are a couple of sorted ones waiting to be shipped..And I could be wrong, but the echo cs501 might not be in quite the same league as the other 3 without mods.

Good saws last a long time. Properly rebuilt equipment is very, very close to as good as new and in many cases better.

Did you check out the hot crazy matrix? I think it is hilarious.

His name is Carl Miller.
660-562-7766

If you can afford it buy a nice pro saw, I was just saying you don't "need" one ;).
Thanks for the help Chipper. I'm not real good with this tech stuff and sharing links.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

His name is Carl Miller.
660-562-7766

Thanks for the help Chipper. I'm not real good with this tech stuff and sharing links.

LETS TALK Carbs. Should I stay away from the new electronic carb like the ms 261 or 550xp. Being a tech I have no prob with adjusting my saw. My dad was great with saws and he showed me how to adjust your saw when I was young.
I have looked on the site for info on the new carbs. I see some people are having probs with there husky cabs(hot starts). So what can you guys tell me.
I sure apreciate all the help guys. I done mean to be a pain in the ass, i just wont to buy a great saw and make the right choice the first time.
I only have one electronic saw and that's my stihl ms661. Sometimes it's a little fussy on a warm restart so I have to give it some throttle. Not really a big deal. Most of the problems seem to have been worked out. Seems all the manufacturers suffered a bit in the beginning but that's expected with any new technology. It's really more of a personal choice. I still like my carbs but my 661 is an awesome saw too and I wouldn't be afraid to buy another.

IMO there is absolutely no need for electronic tuning of fuel delivery in chainsaws. It takes seconds to look after adjustments yourself. In this day and age, many folks don't want to do that. The damn EPA has ruined a lot of good equipment and is slowly melting our brains.

It took a long, long time for electronic fuel delivery in dirt bikes to match the characteristics of a properly tuned carb. These days fuel injection is better than carbs. Definitely easier. One less thing to worry about.

Just my opinion. My 2c

I just like 50cc saws for what I do. But I usually grab the ps420. Go figure. Now that I have two old 590's I will be using them more. Eenie meenie miny moe.

If you can afford the expensive ones and don't have to rely on a saw to put cash in your jeans, or you can put off your saw chores if necessary then by all means, go for it! Get the Stihl. Or the Husky. Or the Stihl...it is much more likely to work out good than bad, based on the rumours (some of which are facts).

Too bad the Dolmar 5000 isn't available here. There are a couple of sorted ones waiting to be shipped..And I could be wrong, but the echo cs501 might not be in quite the same league as the other 3 without mods.

Good saws last a long time. Properly rebuilt equipment is very, very close to as good as new and in many cases better.

I agree and also disagree being from a production falling background sometimes you're not carrying the tuning screw driver or the extra time can be the difference between a good pay check or not.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

There is no need to buy a plastic saw, as there are manufacturers that have competitively priced non-plastic saws that run similarly or better.

Carbs get gummed up when you use ethanol fuel and when you run your equipment dry for storage. Very long term storage is a different story, but for up to a year or so use premium, non-ethanol fuel and lots of stabilizer. Fill them to the top and put them away. I just put mine away today (all of them filled to the brim). Works for me anyway. I will start them in the spring when I use them and fill them up after I burn about 1/2 tank. Anything that has a pet cock is left "on" and full to the brim. Today was winterizing day for me. Bikes, saws, pumps, and a few other pieces put to bed until next time.
I buy mainly used, and I rarely see a pro saw sell for what a plastic saw does. You can argue all the points you'd like, but you will not win me over on this one. I've owned a saw or two and have done my share of cutting, one thing I can tell you is most on these sites will never even wear out a plastic farm ranch saw ;).
My favorites are the 350 and the 450 rancher. The 350 rancher can be fitted with the 346 cylinder and is a fun saw. The 450 rancher has the same power stock as a husky 353 and has all the features of it. I've cut a lot of wood with both those saws as well as with the 290/310/390, and the 455/460, and I've not had any problems, so where is the "need" for a pro saw to cut 10-20 cord in the next 10 yrs, I've cut that in a month with a plastic saw.
Do I prefer a pro saw, yes, do I need one, no at least not for my firewood needs and neither does the OP.

Your one of the few who does similar to what I do with regards to carbs/fuel, and I rarely have any problems at all :). I buy and sell a lot of small equipment as well as a lot of dirt bikes and quads, and of course saw, and most all the stuff I buy needs the carbs done with the exception of most of the saws(not a large enough increase in profit per the time spent to waste my time cleaning a saw carb). I also try to run my stuff every month, but having a lot of equipment/toys that doesn't always happen, and I also tell those I sell to the same thing, and nothing comes back. The one product I drain is the pressure washers, bummer you can't run them without water. I don't use any stabilizer in any of my equipment(unless it's in the 2-stroke mix) and I don't have any problems.
I think your crazy, good thing you got money:laughing:.

Welcome.
Just copy and paste the url. If you can't figure it out just ask any teen, or google it ;).
I only have one electronic saw and that's my stihl ms661. Sometimes it's a little fussy on a warm restart so I have to give it some throttle. Not really a big deal. Most of the problems seem to have been worked out. Seems all the manufacturers suffered a bit in the beginning but that's expected with any new technology. It's really more of a personal choice. I still like my carbs but my 661 is an awesome saw too and I wouldn't be afraid to buy another.

Does it have the new updated coil and intake.
Also is this only when you refuel, or hot starts in general.
I don't run the autotune/mtronic saws totally empty(nor do I do this to my others), I believe you are setting the carb to richen up since you are creating a lean condition, then when you refuel and try to start it with ample fuel it floods because it has had no time to adjust to the new condition(having fuel).
I also don't run any of my saws dry or low on fuel except to ship them, I'd be a liar to say it's never happened, but as a rule I don't. As soon as I hear a saw surge(lean condition) I shut it down, it trains your ears to hear when there is a problem, and it also keeps the internals of the saw lubed better which helps with the longevity of them. Picture a dry sump race engine vs a wet, I like the bearings and cylinder walls to have as much lubrication as they need and as consistently as possible.
The new autotune/mtronic saws are incredible when it comes to fuel economy, a 555 with run one tank to a similarly weighted 254xp(one of my old school favorites)and it is a 60cc saw with more power. I still have standard carb saws and don't think I will go full autotune/mtronic for a long time, but all my small
main tree work saws are autotune/mtronic saws, the fuel economy pays for them if your running gallons of fuel through a saw in a month.

Just my opinion. My 2c

Fuel economy can't be beat by a standard carb and that's the reason.
Yes, there are still bugs in them, I myself don't like being the guy paying for the development either. The good thing is most of the bugs are with rare situations for me personally such as in wildfire situations, and hot start problems in which I grab another saw for a tank problem solved lol.
You know these are not fuel injected, but are still carbs, although the stihl ms500i is son to come out and it's fuel injected. My favorite thing about that saw is that it has a primer bulb, so all the stihl guys who have dogged on husky for them can eat crow :eek::lol:.
If you like the handling of a 261 carbed version then get one, they have great power. I prefer the handling of the 346 and the 550 keeps right up with the 261 and it handles as I'm more used to. I never had a single issue with the 261 version 2 I had, and the inboard clutch is nice if handling isn't as much of a concern to you.
You do realize your breaking your own rules/beliefs(your first and second sentence of the quote above) by even suggesting you want one :p.
Just by a carbed one and then you won't have to worry about that system, but you won't get the fuel economy.

Hopefully my above post helped answer your questions.
It's not something I would recommend for you as it could end up costing you more after the warranty period is up. Another thing is those parts have not been proven over time and you had said you wanted a saw to hand down to your boy ;).
For guys that do a lot of cutting, like what you do in a year. in the period of a month the fuel savings/usage will pay for the saw in a few years and it makes more sense as they have more to gain from it.

Is that a No to Carl's saws? That may be a big mistake, his saws are outstanding, just happen to have one.
I've got a couple myself:chainsaw:, everyone who's cutting a cord or two a year should have at least two of them, maybe a 5105 and a 6401/21 with a 7910 top:happy:, or just a couple 7910's not much heavier than a 261 :laugh:.

Yup, I know they are not fuel injected.

And I do get that a proper electronic system will make an engine run best.

I am hoping I get the timing right when I buy one of these supercalifragilistic saws. Cause they will eventually be sweeet.

I have a sore spot in defence of all the sawhands that have gone through grief over the past many years due to so-called advancements in the new equipment. Not the fun-zone.

Since it is not possible to buy a Dolmar 5000 here, what would be the op's best choice in a 50 cc?

He could get a Dolmar 421 new and then buy a used bigger saw all for the same money as one supercalifragilistic saw...or less. I think that's what I would do.

Then you would be well on your way to 3 saws Shawn

And one day I will even buy a plastic saw. Used. Cheap.

I have no rules. Just opinions. Sometimes they get in my way..
Me too.
I've had that problem before, glad I don't any more, or any less :laugh:.
Plastic saws psssst.

Attachments

• 20171025_102102.jpg
    20171025_102102.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 8
  • 20171025_102132.jpg
    20171025_102132.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Back