Need help picking a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hp is a funny thing. The nature of the power is more important to me. I am not a highly tuned cutting machine. When I time the throttle wrong as I enter the cut, I want a midrange that pulls into the top in spite of my bad timing. Some motors make a big max hp #, but fall flat on their face in the mid. That kind of power can work for an expert, but not for me.

Different manufacturers have different ideas on what kind of power is desireable.

Stihls have always been torquey and huskys have always been snappy and quick. Generally speaking, that is.

How much is Walker's asking for a saw?
This is a 562 on 5+ ft cedar this series has been impressive not not a personal fan of the 372 xpw I've never liked the feel with the same bar.
Just for giggles one of the last firs off the last hand falling jobs we did.
dd1b67f029f7cd6c4cae243c53e74396.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Shawn, the Jonsered's have a little different handlebar angle as well...

And they are Red!! Nice.

There's a sawshop in Barrhead where many of the boys go to get their stuff. Small power??

Call them for Stihl or Husky. I think they will have saws in stock. I believe they are a real sawshop. I have never been there but that is where lots of sawhands stock up.

Decisions, decisions

Btw, I suspect that the 3.7hp 550xp is the rip-snortenest saw of the bunch. It's a Husky. snappy.

Someone on here knows. Not me. I only have my strong suspicions.

How much is Walker's asking for a saw?
This is a 562 on 5+ ft cedar this series has been impressive not not a personal fan of the 372 xpw I've never liked the feel with the same bar.
Just for giggles one of the last firs off the last hand falling jobs we did.
dd1b67f029f7cd6c4cae243c53e74396.jpg

That was a 60cc saw cutting that big ass tree? Why does husky have the angle in there handles?

Shawn, the Jonsered's have a little different handlebar angle as well...

And they are Red!! Nice.

There's a sawshop in Barrhead where many of the boys go to get their stuff. Small power??

Call them for Stihl or Husky. I think they will have saws in stock. I believe they are a real sawshop. I have never been there but that is where lots of sawhands stock up.

Decisions, decisions

Thanks ill look them up

I like anything 2 stroke. Especially air-cooled 2 stroke. I don't work with a saw for a living, unless you call using one as a required tool on the farm being a pro. I don't.

I have worked around professional sawhands in the bush for a long time. Most of my "experience" is talking saws and saw work with the boys.

There are lots of pros and lots of others here.

Skeans is a certified faller I think. Skilz.

Any of the saws in question are quality tools. Everyone except Dolmar has sales on right now to save a little cash.

I am somewhat in the same boat as you. I want the perfect 50cc saw. Mine may not be the same as yours...

Pick them up, roll them around and see what feels good to you.

I picked up a 550xp a while back and decided it didn't fit me. it just didn't feel right. I suspect the equivalent Jonny (2253 or something) would feel better for me. And it's red!

Dolmar, Husky (jonsered), Stihl...Echo. Take your pick. None of them would be a bad choice. Just different.

That was a 60cc saw cutting that big ass tree? Why does husky have the angle in there handles?
Yep I blocked the face out with that little girl and bucked it all out with it as well. To the angled bars they honestly take about 5 minutes of running it to get used to and once you do you love them. I'm not sure if it has something to do with vibrations but they're almost none to speak of compared to say a 372 or 390 or even the 395 and those are smooth.

I like anything 2 stroke. Especially air-cooled 2 stroke. I don't work with a saw for a living, unless you call using one as a required tool on the farm being a pro. I don't.

I have worked around professional sawhands in the bush for a long time. Most of my "experience" is talking saws and saw work with the boys.

There are lots of pros and lots of others here.

Skeans is a certified faller I think. Skilz.

Any of the saws in question are quality tools. Everyone except Dolmar has sales on right now to save a little cash.

I am somewhat in the same boat as you. I want the perfect 50cc saw. Mine may not be the same as yours...

I picked up a 550xp a while back and decided it didn't fit me. it just didn't feel right. I suspect the equivalent Jonny (2253 or something) would feel better for me. And it's red!

Dolmar, Husky (jonsered), Stihl...Echo. Take your pick. None of them would be a bad choice. Just different.
Thank you but no certs for falling here just a certified Oregon logger here in the states, I got broke in 10 years ago falling falling poles and wood 200+ ft.

I

You're going to be banned if you keep talking like that, you make too much good sense. ;)

Maybe this is out of line with what you are looking for... but...

I grew up on a Pioneer 600. Pig of a saw, 103cc (or thereabouts).
Graduated to a Stihl 038 Magnum, which I ran for about 30 years until it was stolen this spring.

So when I went to buy a new saw, first thing I looked at was a Stihl MS461.

But I went with a Husky 372XP, 71cc and I really like the saw. With extra chains and a few accessories, it was $1386. Maybe that doesn't fit your budget?

Graduated to a Stihl 038 Magnum, which I ran for about 30 years until it was stolen this spring.

But I went with a Husky 372XP, 71cc and I really like the saw. With extra chains and a few accessories, it was $1386. Maybe that doesn't fit your budget?
Man thats why I always look for a used saw. I just cant drop that kind of cash on a saw. I can only imagine how little a perfect new saw would get used because I wouldnt want to dirty it up LOL. But im just a firewood horder at best, maybe an occasional tree fell for a friend.
OP what are you leaning towards? Theres many of choices in the range you are looking in. Have you narrowed it down?

So your saying if i can get that saw I should buy it up? How is the air filter and stuff on the Dolmar. They say the air filter on the 261 is killer and stays clean longer etc. They dont have them in stock. they had a little used 421 sitting on the floor and I didnt get to see it opened up. just got to hold on to it.
I believe MillerModSaws actually had one of these for sale too.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Man that price seems high seems like my last 390 power head was a touch over a grand 2 years ago. Where are you guys getting these high prices?

That is way over my budget. Want to be under 800 if I can. that why i was looking at the 261 for example. it is pro saw for 699.99 and comes with a travel case and extra chain for that price plus tax. so with tax 734.98. just for example.

Shawn.

As I see it you have two choices (unless you can find a 5000 Dolmar):

The echo cs501p or the Stihl ms261, as its auto tune is more reliable than the Husky's at this point.

I would set it up with a 16" bar and .325 chain if you can. My 590's both have 16" bars. One is 3/8 and one is 325. The 325 is a better chain for 50cc, IMO. Smoother.

The smaller chain is much smoother for limbing and will still throw big chips. I may be in the minority, but I really like the little 3/8 chain (Lopro) on my 420. I even liked the safety chain that came on it, with some raker tuning. The little 3/8 is probably not enough chain for 50cc.

Yup, the 261 on sale with a case, extra chain, and other doodads is a pretty good deal. Very tempting in spite of the mtronic bs. Without a doubt it is a sweet little saw (although I haven't run one...).

You better go fondle one of those...

Latest posts

Back