Need help picking a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome.
Just copy and paste the url. If you can't figure it out just ask any teen, or google it ;).

Does it have the new updated coil and intake.
Also is this only when you refuel, or hot starts in general.
I don't run the autotune/mtronic saws totally empty(nor do I do this to my others), I believe you are setting the carb to richen up since you are creating a lean condition, then when you refuel and try to start it with ample fuel it floods because it has had no time to adjust to the new condition(having fuel).
I also don't run any of my saws dry or low on fuel except to ship them, I'd be a liar to say it's never happened, but as a rule I don't. As soon as I hear a saw surge(lean condition) I shut it down, it trains your ears to hear when there is a problem, and it also keeps the internals of the saw lubed better which helps with the longevity of them. Picture a dry sump race engine vs a wet, I like the bearings and cylinder walls to have as much lubrication as they need and as consistently as possible.
The new autotune/mtronic saws are incredible when it comes to fuel economy, a 555 with run one tank to a similarly weighted 254xp(one of my old school favorites)and it is a 60cc saw with more power. I still have standard carb saws and don't think I will go full autotune/mtronic for a long time, but all my small
main tree work saws are autotune/mtronic saws, the fuel economy pays for them if your running gallons of fuel through a saw in a month.
I'm pretty sure it's got the newer parts. It was ordered from my dealer back in May. I never run it empty either. To be honest, I haven't ran it too much. Most times it fires right up but sometimes needs a little throttle on a restart. Certainly nothing to complain about. I'm gonna get it out this weekend and run it some more.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure it's got the newer parts. It was ordered from my dealer back in May. I never run it empty either. To be honest, I haven't ran it too much. Most times it fires right up but sometimes needs a little throttle on a restart. Certainly nothing to complain about. I'm gonna get it out this weekend and run it some more.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the feedback, good to know.
That new it's a good chance it does have the updated parts.
Have fun this weekend:chainsaw:.

I only have one electronic saw and that's my stihl ms661. Sometimes it's a little fussy on a warm restart so I have to give it some throttle.
My 362 used to do that. I did the reset procedure as suggested by a poster on this forum and that seems to have cleared it up. That was my only problem with the system. I'd buy another saw with it.

IMO there is absolutely no need for electronic tuning of fuel delivery in chainsaws. It takes seconds to look after adjustments yourself. In this day and age, many folks don't want to do that. The damn EPA has ruined a lot of good equipment and is slowly melting our brains.

It is not sorted yet, this electronic saw stuff. That is obvious.

It took a long, long time for electronic fuel delivery in dirt bikes to match the characteristics of a properly tuned carb. These days fuel injection is better than carbs. Definitely easier. One less thing to worry about.

Such it will be with saws. Not yet, IMO.

Just my opinion. My 2c

But I would sure like to have one of those new ms261's anyway!!

I just like 50cc saws for what I do. But I usually grab the ps420. Go figure. Now that I have two old 590's I will be using them more. Eenie meenie miny moe.

If you can afford the expensive ones and don't have to rely on a saw to put cash in your jeans, or you can put off your saw chores if necessary then by all means, go for it! Get the Stihl. Or the Husky. Or the Stihl...it is much more likely to work out good than bad, based on the rumours (some of which are facts).

Too bad the Dolmar 5000 isn't available here. There are a couple of sorted ones waiting to be shipped..And I could be wrong, but the echo cs501 might not be in quite the same league as the other 3 without mods.

Good saws last a long time. Properly rebuilt equipment is very, very close to as good as new and in many cases better.

Did you check out the hot crazy matrix? I think it is hilarious.

I tried to find it last night on you tube and could not find it. Maybe i will try on google tonight. want to see it though

I buy mainly used, and I rarely see a pro saw sell for what a plastic saw does. You can argue all the points you'd like, but you will not win me over on this one. I've owned a saw or two and have done my share of cutting, one thing I can tell you is most on these sites will never even wear out a plastic farm ranch saw ;).
My favorites are the 350 and the 450 rancher. The 350 rancher can be fitted with the 346 cylinder and is a fun saw. The 450 rancher has the same power stock as a husky 353 and has all the features of it. I've cut a lot of wood with both those saws as well as with the 290/310/390, and the 455/460, and I've not had any problems, so where is the "need" for a pro saw to cut 10-20 cord in the next 10 yrs, I've cut that in a month with a plastic saw.
Do I prefer a pro saw, yes, do I need one, no at least not for my firewood needs and neither does the OP.

Your one of the few who does similar to what I do with regards to carbs/fuel, and I rarely have any problems at all :). I buy and sell a lot of small equipment as well as a lot of dirt bikes and quads, and of course saw, and most all the stuff I buy needs the carbs done with the exception of most of the saws(not a large enough increase in profit per the time spent to waste my time cleaning a saw carb). I also try to run my stuff every month, but having a lot of equipment/toys that doesn't always happen, and I also tell those I sell to the same thing, and nothing comes back. The one product I drain is the pressure washers, bummer you can't run them without water. I don't use any stabilizer in any of my equipment(unless it's in the 2-stroke mix) and I don't have any problems.

I think your crazy, good thing you got money:laughing:.

I store my stuff just like you and never have any probs.

Since it is not possible to buy a Dolmar 5000 here, what would be the op's best choice in a 50 cc?

He could get a Dolmar 421 new and then buy a used bigger saw all for the same money as one supercalifragilistic saw...or less. I think that's what I would do.

Then you would be well on your way to 3 saws Shawn

That is really true. Makes a lot of sence. I dont see my self going less than 50cc i do have to say. i just dont see the point. 50cc saws are light enough.

These are the saws i can get from the lawn mower hospital in edmonton. They are the only dolmar dealer i know of in my area that sell dolmar. So the 5105 is not there hot saw from what holeycow said. Its not the mag case its alum?

I think their website is not kept up to date. That's what a fellow there told me well over a year ago and still nothing has changed with the site. You'll have to give them a call.

Don't forget about the echo cs501p. It's supposed to be a 3.5hp 50cc saw. That is respectable. If it's 3 and a half torquey hp, it would be very nice for 550.00. I think that is the sale price?? And it is very light in weight too. And not electronic....and supposedly a very durable brand.

Looking at the hp numbers and they say the ms261 has 4.0 hp, the ms291 at 3,8 hp then the 5105 at 3.9 hp. The husky 550xp has less at 3.7, the 545 at 3.3 hp.
I want the most power for my money so the first three are the ones I have been looking at. plus i dont like the angled hadle bar on the husky. Was handling one at the lawn mower hospital last saturday. They had a dolmar there and it had a straight bar like the stihl.

Don't forget about the echo cs501p. It's supposed to be a 3.5hp 50cc saw. That is respectable. If it's 3 and a half torquey hp, it would be very nice for 550.00. I think that is the sale price?? And it is very light in weight too. And not electronic....and supposedly a very durable brand.

So your saying if i can get that saw I should buy it up? How is the air filter and stuff on the Dolmar. They say the air filter on the 261 is killer and stays clean longer etc. They dont have them in stock. they had a little used 421 sitting on the floor and I didnt get to see it opened up. just got to hold on to it.

Looking at the hp numbers and they say the ms261 has 4.0 hp, the ms291 at 3,8 hp then the 5105 at 3.9 hp. The husky 550xp has less at 3.7, the 545 at 3.3 hp.
I want the most power for my money so the first three are the ones I have been looking at. plus i dont like the angled hadle bar on the husky. Was handling one at the lawn mower hospital last saturday. They had a dolmar there and it had a straight bar like the stihl.
Something to think about as well is vibrations, typically Stihl is a rubber that is known for tearing quickly like our 260 has been. We had a Dollar 5105 for a landing saw had two of them bought back by the dealer and Dolmar the filtration isn't the best. The smallest Husky's we have are the 555 & 562 the 555 is going on 5 years strong with only one plug and the 562 is a wrap model that I fall with running a 32" semi skip without issues after 3 years.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

An 026 in Breton just showed up on kijiji "needs a tuneup" 150.00.

A different angle to consider if you are handy. Or want to send it to someone who is. Just a thought.

Yes, you obviously don't want a motor to suck dirt. I only have a few saws and all of them have adequate filtration, imo.

I kinda like the nylon screen filters, actually. They basically last forever and don't seem to suck dirt for me. In my woods anyway.

Yes, you obviously don't want a motor to suck dirt. I only have a few saws and all of them have adequate filtration, imo.

I kinda like the nylon screen filters, actually. They basically last forever and don't seem to suck dirt for me. In my woods anyway.
Dirt isn't so much the issue it's the fines or saw dust that we find in both the Stihl and Dolmar style filters they don't seal well plus the air jets on the Husky's normally keep the carb areas clean.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I better check my filters a little better. I did pull the little dolly 420's the other day and the carb throat was perfectly clean. It is a nylon mesh filter. Like the 590's. Both 30 years old and fairly high hours by now and both run well and have had no particular treatment.

"Suck dirt" is I guess a dirt bike term, but I get it. You don't want anything to go through the motor.

My mesh filters are the ones I prefer over the flocked filter on the Stihl.

Latest posts

Back