Need help picking a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 2 old Jonny 590's, as I said. The one with .325 is noticeably smoother and faster in the cut than the one with 3/8. They both have 16" bars.

I think you are making the right choice, Fwiw.

I have 2, Makita DCS5121 (Dolmar PS510) and Dolmar PS-5105 fitted w/ 20" while the Makita has 18. either will serve you well and that .6 hp difference is noticeable especially in hardwood, so don't discount the fraction.

Both can be had for considerably lesser than a 261 especially if you consider online options such as eBay and both are still made in Hamburg Germany, I'm a big sucker for German quality.

I wouldn't worry about parts 'availability'! There is very little that could break unless one purposely abuse it. I had to replace the rim sprocket on the 5105 last year and Bailey's online had 20+ in stock for a whopping 11.99.

Spark plug is NGK BPMR7A which is all over the place, both model uses K041 bar mount (Husqvarna small mount) so bar choices will not be an issue. Even if you do break something that is "proprietary", Makita USA supply all parts since they are the parent company of Dolmar now.

Someone else should chime in on this, but Stihl 261 is build in Virginia Beach VA if I'm not mistaking. I would go with a PS-5105, get rid of that miserable spark arrestor screen, cut off carburetor limiters, gut the catalytic converter and let it roar.

Hello all. Been going through threads on your web site and decided to join. Joined because I'm in need of a new larger saw. I was really into the Dolmar 5105 for a while and then was told getting parts in Canada is hard. So I then started really looking at the new ms261cm because of the great power to weight ratio. So I'm just looking for a saw to clean up around the yard and keep the wood pile stocked up and then go out with the atv and snowmobile club and clear trails before each season.

What can you guys tell me about the Dolmar? Should I just go with the 261. the 261 has great features like encapsulated bar nuts, good power to weight ration etc. the Dolmar in 550.00 and the 261 is on sale right now for 699 with a wood pro kit included.

I will not be porting it or anything like that so if we could just keep it to stock saw info that would be great.

I feel the Dolmar might be better as well because I can tune it my self where the 261 I have to take it in if anything goes wrong.
thanks for all you're info and help in advance

I have 2, Makita DCS5121 (Dolmar PS510) and Dolmar PS-5105 fitted w/ 20" while the Makita has 18. either will serve you well and that .6 hp difference is noticeable especially in hardwood, so don't discount the fraction.

Both can be had for considerably lesser than a 261 especially if you consider online options such as eBay and both are still made in Hamburg Germany, I'm a big sucker for German quality.

I wouldn't worry about parts 'availability'! There is very little that could break unless one purposely abuse it. I had to replace the rim sprocket on the 5105 last year and Bailey's online had 20+ in stock for a whopping 11.99.

Spark plug is NGK BPMR7A which is all over the place, both model uses K041 bar mount (Husqvarna small mount) so bar choices will not be an issue. Even if you do break something that is "proprietary", Makita USA supply all parts since they are the parent company of Dolmar now.

Someone else should chime in on this, but Stihl 261 is build in Virginia Beach VA if I'm not mistaking. I would go with a PS-5105, get rid of that miserable spark arrestor screen, cut off carburetor limiters, gut the catalytic converter and let it roar.

Thanks for your info. I was hoping someone that has one and knows about them would do just what you did. That was all great info. I will wait for a bit but will do the muffler mod and stuff. Just want to use it enough first to make sure if something goes wrong I still have warranty

You can't go wrong with either saw, I am not very mechanically inclined but have found chainsaws are very easy to work on because they're 90% mechanical parts without ECU/CPU etc etc. Sprocket is about the only normal wear/tear part that you'll ever need to replace aside from maybe the clutch if the saw is used in production cutting. Point is don't be concerned with parts availability and rest assured on the quality of it, its build like a old Mercedes diesel.

Thanks for your info. I was hoping someone that has one and knows about them would do just what you did. That was all great info. I will wait for a bit but will do the muffler mod and stuff. Just want to use it enough first to make sure if something goes wrong I still have warranty

Okay thanks to all the people that helped me pick a new saw. I ended up going with the Dolmar PS-5105AH-18. Also picked up a second chain and and a power box. Have not really used it yet (besides cutting a dead branch off the spruce tree). The one thing I can say is it sounds fantastic and I really like the touch & stop lever design. When I get some cutting time in with it I will let you all know what I think.

Congrats and excellent choice. It'll serve you well many years to come.

Okay thanks to all the people that helped me pick a new saw. I ended up going with the Dolmar PS-5105AH-18. Also picked up a second chain and and a power box. Have not really used it yet (besides cutting a dead branch off the spruce tree). The one thing I can say is it sounds fantastic and I really like the touch & stop lever design. When I get some cutting time in with it I will let you all know what I think.

Thank god, I thought this search would never end (only kidding)
b752fb516bfb0897b750b71cf0b0e71c.jpg

Back