Need Help Selecting a Second Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreedomFamilyFarms

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello AS members,

Thanks for all you contribute. I've spent more time than I care to admit reading up here lately and the information has been very valuable.

I'm a homeowner on acreage and I burn wood to supplement my heat. I'm currently running a single masonry heater (Russian bell design by Solid Rock Masonry in Deluth) and have a Jotul F118 CB (Black Bear) that I'm going to hook up this winter in the basement. I hope to be able to heat the entire 3700-ish square feet with wood, but I don't have to. I don't have enough time in the home to give you a reasonable estimate on cords per year.

I currently own a Stihl MS-362C and a Jonsered CS 2255. ALL of the rest of my two stroke tools are Stihl. I also own a Kubota tractor and a Toro ZTR. My local dealer is a Kubota, Toro, Stihl shop so I'm VERY reluctant to look at other brands due to the sheer convenience of having everything in one place and my familiarity with the Stihl manual of arms.

The MS-362 is great. It weights roughly the same as the J-Red but has 25% more power, which means the J-Red is collecting dust in my shop. I've considered something lighter and more nimble for smaller trees and limbing on the ground (no aerial work). Here are the idea's I've come up with so far. I appreciate your feedback.

1. Keep the J-Red purely as a backup saw. Its a nice saw, and has barely been used.

2. Sell/trade the J-Red for a smaller Stihl (short bar, fast chain).

3. Sell/trade the J-Red for a DeWalt 60 Volt Max cordless battery saw. I already use that line so the battery is complimentary to tools I already own.

Questions: Will the DeWalt even touch a properly configured Stihl? I don't do a lot of all day cutting so I think the battery would be adequate for my needs. If the battery saw is out, please recommend a Stihl saw configuration in the sub 10 pound range. I'm in the "buy-once-cry-once" stage now and prefer to think of tools as long-term investments. There's something appealing about a saw that never needs fuel...

Thanks in advance!

f3

I have a ms362 as my large saw and a ms 180 as my smaller saw. I find it to be a good combination for firewood cutting as you describe. Use the 180 on the limbs until you get to 6" diameter or larger then get out the 362. If I run 2 tanks through each of these saws in a day I have lots of splitting to do the next day.

Stihl with sub 10 lb weight is difficult.
MS170 or MS180 or
The rear handle versions of the 201,193, or 150.
Off course their are also top handle versions.
The MS 241 is 10 1/2 lbs plus.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

I'd say the ms261. Great saw. A good 50cc saw has always been my favorite. Plenty of power yet light enough to not wear you out. No idea about battery saws. I guess price would determine if it's worth trying.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

The smallest of the DeWalt saws is the only one that gets under 10#. I can get one shipped for $150 without the battery (I already have a 20v and 60v that are compatible). Could not find any specs on power output.

20V MAX* XR® COMPACT 12 IN. CORDLESS CHAINSAW

FEATURES
  • Low kick back 12 in. Oregon bar and chain for construction and outdoor cutting applications
  • Compact, lightweight design (just 9 lbs. with battery) for maximum user control
  • High-efficiency brushless motor maximizes runtime and motor life
  • Up to 90 cuts per charge on 4x4 pressure treated wood (using a 20V MAX* 5Ah battery)
  • Tool-free chain tensioning and bar tightening knob for proper bar clamping force
  • Part of the 20V MAX* system of tools
SPECIFICATIONS
  • CHAIN GUAGE 0.043
  • CHAIN PITCH 3/8
  • CHAIN SPEED 25.2 FT/S
  • COMPATIBLE WITH DEWALT 20V MAX* BATTERIES
  • OREGON BAR AND CHAIN 12" BAR AND CHAIN
  • WEIGHT 9 LBS

If you don't mind older saws, and want a pro style, 026, ms260 is 10.6, 50 cc and would have good power.

I have a ms360, 039, 2x026 pros, ms250 and ms170. My favorite go to for power/weight and ease of working on are the 026s. But all mine are non strato older designs.

I'm also a small farm homeowner who bursn wood for supplimental heat.

I've never run a cordless saw, so I can't comment on them. I know @Philbert has racked up some trigger time on them. Maybe he can give us an opinion. I think they have some great advantages, such as being very quiet, and not needing to be started and shut off when moving brush and limbs between cutting.

That said, if you're happy with the 362 as your big saw, and it handles everything you need to do, then I'd grab a 241 as your small saw. They're real screamers, and are considerably lighter than your 362. The 261 is lighter than the 362 also, but not by as much. Personally I'd probably only go for a 261 if you wanted to trade the 362 for a 70+cc saw.

The smallest of the DeWalt saws is the only one that gets under 10#. I can get one shipped for $150 without the battery (I already have a 20v and 60v that are compatible). Could not find any specs on power output.

20V MAX* XR® COMPACT 12 IN. CORDLESS CHAINSAW

FEATURES
  • Low kick back 12 in. Oregon bar and chain for construction and outdoor cutting applications
  • Compact, lightweight design (just 9 lbs. with battery) for maximum user control
  • High-efficiency brushless motor maximizes runtime and motor life
  • Up to 90 cuts per charge on 4x4 pressure treated wood (using a 20V MAX* 5Ah battery)
  • Tool-free chain tensioning and bar tightening knob for proper bar clamping force
  • Part of the 20V MAX* system of tools
SPECIFICATIONS
  • CHAIN GUAGE 0.043
  • CHAIN PITCH 3/8
  • CHAIN SPEED 25.2 FT/S
  • COMPATIBLE WITH DEWALT 20V MAX* BATTERIES
  • OREGON BAR AND CHAIN 12" BAR AND CHAIN
  • WEIGHT 9 LBS

lack of chain speed & tool less chain adjust. two strikes against it for me.

Cordless/ battery saws can be a very convenient companion for a gas saw. Hard to cover it all, but lots of stuff in this thread:

https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...chainsaws-and-outdoor-power-equipment.177392/

The DeWalt saw could be a good place to start if you already have the batteries, which can be half the cost. Maybe buy from a place that offers a 30 day return policy, and see what you think.

Philbert

Cordless/ battery saws can be a very convenient companion for a gas saw. Hard to cover it all, but lots of stuff in this thread:

https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...chainsaws-and-outdoor-power-equipment.177392/

The DeWalt saw could be a good place to start if you already have the batteries, which can be half the cost. Maybe buy from a place that offers a 30 day return policy, and see what you think.

Philbert

Thanks Philbert, good read. I’m going to handle the larger DeWalt next time I’m at Home Depot.

If owned both a 362 and a 261, the 362 would NEVER get used.

I think I would either go 241 or 180 to save a few bucks.

I just re-read this (on a real computer now, not on my phone). You probably will be disappointed with the 20V saw; I was assuming the 60V DeWalt saw. A bit heavier, and I don't see it as a bare tool, but someone might sell it that way, or maybe you can use the extra battery and charger.

http://www.dewalt.com/products/powe...flexvolt-60v-max-brushless-chainsaw/dccs670x1

Battery saws are just so darn convenient, and stupid easy to run, that you will grab it for most smaller jobs. The newer ones just keep getting better. But if you are used to an MS362, you will want one of the larger battery saws.

Philbert

A little more research revealed:
  • 20V DeWalt is definitely out. Not matched for what I'm trying to accomplish.
  • 40V DeWalt is not compatible with the 20/60V Max system
  • 60V DeWalt is very intriguing. Would add one larger battery and an extra charger to my current setup, some convenience in battery v. gasoline, BUT, it doesn't really weigh much less than my 362, depending on which bar I have on the 362 it's within a pound or so...

Some weights of previously mentioned saws:
  • 241: 9.9# + B/C
  • 180: 9.0# +B/C
  • 026/260: 10.4# + B/C
  • DeWalt 60V: 12.7# including battery & B/C
  • MS 362 C: 12.35# + B/C
  • MS 193 (T or C): 7.6# + B/C
I was picking up a 20" bar for the 362 yesterday and fondled handled a MS 193 T. At 7.28# + B/C, that seems like the size/weight difference I was looking for. Its too bad DeWalt didn't give the 12" saw more power along the lines of the 60V Max system as that would be a clear winner for my needs.

A little more research revealed:
  • 20V DeWalt is definitely out. Not matched for what I'm trying to accomplish.
  • 40V DeWalt is not compatible with the 20/60V Max system
  • 60V DeWalt is very intriguing. Would add one larger battery and an extra charger to my current setup, some convenience in battery v. gasoline, BUT, it doesn't really weigh much less than my 362, depending on which bar I have on the 362 it's within a pound or so...

Some weights of previously mentioned saws:
  • 241: 9.9# + B/C
  • 180: 9.0# +B/C
  • 026/260: 10.4# + B/C
  • DeWalt 60V: 12.7# including battery & B/C
  • MS 362 C: 12.35# + B/C
  • MS 193 (T or C): 7.6# + B/C
I was picking up a 20" bar for the 362 yesterday and fondled handled a MS 193 T. At 7.28# + B/C, that seems like the size/weight difference I was looking for. Its too bad DeWalt didn't give the 12" saw more power along the lines of the 60V Max system as that would be a clear winner for my needs.
The 20V system cannot be made to match the 60V. For what you want, I think a smaller gas saw is the answer, maybe an MS241. I have three gas saws, and the 20V fits my needs. Remember to figure in the weight of bar and chain, fuel and oil on the gas saws

Back