Need help with 372XP Please :(

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The clutch spring won't do it, the spring holder is broken, I need to replace the whole clutch assembly I think?

Yes when I saw the oil the first thing I did was to drain the bar oil.

I do not understand your first line?

Piston stop....to hold the piston in place while you MANUALLY turn the clutch off in a clockwise direction...

You should have gotten a black plastic one from Stihl when you bought the MS460 in your signature...it was in a little orange bag

If you dont have one a length of starter cord down the sparkplug hole will do the same thing....

Your tryingto keep the cranksaft from turning....

DO NOT USE AIR TOOLS, and yes its CLOCKWISE....

if you need to replace both that clutch and oil pump...your looking at a couple hundred $$$..

OK thanks. The oil pump is $50 and the clutch is $50 at Bailey's. There are 3 types of clutches listed!

Piston stop....to hold the piston in place while you MANUALLY turn the clutch off in a clockwise direction...

You should have gotten a black plastic one from Stihl when you bought the MS460 in your signature...it was in a little orange bag

If you dont have one a length of starter cord down the sparkplug hole will do the same thing....

if you need to replace both that clutch and oil pump...your looking at a couple hundred $$$..

OK thanks. The oil pump is $50 and the clutch is $50 at Bailey's. There are 3 types of clutches listed!

Sorry, when I said a couple hudred, I was thinking parts and labor...

Also might as well throw a sprocket kit on top of that...I am sure the drum saw some of that abuse when it let go...check close for hairline cracks...

3 types of clutchs? linky?

Believe it or not the clutch cover is in perfect shape... It sucks, I am leaving on vacation this Saturday for 3 weeks, I won't be able to get the parts on time. I guess I will use the MS460 for the rest of the cutting...

See link

http://www.baileysonline.com/search.asp?SKW=husky 372 opp&catID=1708

Logs left to cut,
attachment.php

Sorry, when I said a couple hudred, I was thinking parts and labor...

Also might as well throw a sprocket kit on top of that...I am sure the drum saw some of that abuse when it let go...check close for hairline cracks...

3 types of clutchs? linky?

they don't give a piston stop in the orange bag unless you buy an outboard clutch model like a 200t ;)

Believe it or not the clutch cover is in perfect shape... It sucks, I am leaving on vacation this Saturday for 3 weeks, I won't be able to get the parts on time. I guess I will use the MS460 for the rest of the cutting...

See link

Logs left to cut,
attachment.php

don't sweat the small stuff bro! that's only ten minutes of work with a 460

they don't give a piston stop in the orange bag unless you buy an outboard clutch model like a 200t ;)

your correct....I was on a role there and forgot that tidbit...I do however have a "couple" at the shop, along with a "few" of the famous orange screw drivers....:hmm3grin2orange:

and for the right price, you can own one....:hmm3grin2orange:

That clutch looks bad, miss your 044 yet?:D

It could not keep up with the 372xp, so I got rid of it :)

Yes, I ordered one and the tool to remove the clutch. Inspecting further from what I can see the exit tube of the oil pump was damaged, does anyone know if/where I can get one? I might not need the whole pump but maybe it would be a good idea to replace the whole pump assembly? It is costly.

It could not keep up with the 372xp, so I got rid of it :)

Yes, I ordered one and the tool to remove the clutch. Inspecting further from what I can see the exit tube of the oil pump was damaged, does anyone know if/where I can get one? I might not need the whole pump but maybe it would be a good idea to replace the whole pump assembly? It is costly.

Same reason I sold my 2171, just could not hang with the 044/440.
:D
As Tri said, give Spike a shot. He will do ya right.

Howdy,
Just a note on our link. We fixed it so if anybody looks from now on it will only show 2 (1-OEM & 1-aftermarket) clutches. The one for 570, and 575 was also coming up in the search. Thanks for the heads up.
Regards
Gregg

Finally got all the parts to put it back together. I was going to replace the oil tube but I can not place the new tube in, there is a metal ring that is in the way of the tube, anywhere I looked I could not find the ring mentioned anywhere, even in the shop manual! Does anyone know how to remove that metal ring? It is ~ 4 inches in diameter and it looks like both ends go into the mag case.

Thanks.

After taking a close look at that clutch. I like the clutch on my 357xp a lot better!

Hope ya get it going soon.

:cheers:

Thanks, the clutch was not that bad to remove it is the oil feed tube from the oil pump that is a mystery to me. I will try to post pictures soon.

I can be fairly cavalier with my saw, but the fact that you were taking the clutch cover off with the saw running and pinched disturbed me a little. Might be sop for some though, can't say.

edit> old news maybe. so, stop making sense.

Last edited:
Back