Need lots of evergreens.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cow Bridge

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

We own a wooded 6 acre piece of land that we are currently building a house on. I have done a lot of clearing for the home site and I'm thinning out all the small trees and brush around the rest of the property.

There are other homes that border us that I would like to plant some evergreen trees or large shrubs for privacy. But ideally, I would like to plant em almost all the way around.

I've had a hard time finding trees that would A: be fairly cheap since I'm gonna need a lot of em and B: be able to grow in shady areas.

Any suggestions or could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

No baby trees in your woods? I have a live fence on both sides of my yard, trees came from the woods. Some I planted 7-8 years ago and now are 3-4 ft tall.

Thats not a bad idea. I could definately mix in some baby pine/oak/maple trees from the large tract of woods next to our property.

But I still would like some suggestions for shady friendly evergreens if anyone has any.

I have never planted pine or whatever else they are called but it seems as my ash trees die I seem more evergreen trees coming up. Fine with me. I'm also looking for trees to plant that grow fast and provide privacy. So far I have done well with transplanting maple trees that grew on their own. I was thinking about weeping willows next.

I have a 5 acre wooded lot with a house in the rear. With all my cover dieing I'd like to rebuild my forest before it's a field. I live in N.Y. and I have thought about populars because they grow quick but so do maples and apparently willows. Poplars are like forest ash straight and not much coverage. They could be 50 feet tall and look like a stick.

The go to tree for evergreens in shade is Hemlock. Will still thin out in the shade and are somewhat fussy with soil type. There are some Viburnums that will tolerate some shade but are not evergreen. These are not trees but are multi stem shrubs and depending on variety will top out at 6 to 15 feet.

Hello everyone.

There are other homes that border us that I would like to plant some evergreen trees or large shrubs for privacy. But ideally, I would like to plant em almost all the way around.

Any suggestions or could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks
NRCS a Dept. of the USDA our tax dollars at work...
Or being spent anyway. ;-)
Online, I’d also look at what they have under Windbreaks
Benefits of.......
There should be a field office nearby be worth going into
and talking to a Tech, sometimes with the right programs
a possibility of some cost sharing.
A bit more money than the bare root stock
The Plugs when available have done so much
more vigorous, quite a jump start over the bare root.

I agree, talk to your local NRCS/SWCD. NRCS used to have a real nice cost share program but I guess it was discontinued several years ago. They still offer it for livestock operations though, so you just need to get yourself some cattle!

NRCS still seem to have pretty good prices on trees. I'm having a 800ft strip of Dogwoods put in. 210 18-24" dogwoods. They do the planting with a machine and they're laying down landscape fabric. We have to provide the tractor to pull the planter. Total cost is $950. Half the cost was the landscape fabric but in my case it will be worth it to not have to worry about weeding and watering as much.

Thats not a bad idea. I could definately mix in some baby pine/oak/maple trees from the large tract of woods next to our property.

But I still would like some suggestions for shady friendly evergreens if anyone has any.
Cedars do well.
I did the same as you. Wanted privacy wall of cedars to give some blockage from neighbors.
Most of mine are White Cedar.
I would look for small cedarlings everywhere along the roadsides and have my shovel and some heavy plastic bags in my truck at all times.
Not sure what zone i'm in here but we have lots of evergreens everywhere.

I’m pretty much in the same boat. I’ll be planting many seedlings along where they widened the power lines next to my house. It’s a good football field away but don’t like seeing them. I’ll be going into my 16 + acres and find saplings that include beech and pine. There are other species there but feel the beech will grow quick and symmetrical and provide wider coverage.
Where I plan to plant there is grass there now. Does anyone recommend spraying the grass first then plant...or dig and plant?

I always fear that if you kill the grass it may kill the tree u plant. But farmers do it all the time. They spray their fields then plant their crops.

I do it differently. I dig up the trees in the fall plant them in a bucket and if they bloom in the spring I cut the bottom of the bucked off and plant the bucket. They usually live. We used to do the same when I did land scaping with the bigger trees. We would break open the burlap on the bottom and plant the whole thing.

I like that idea...that way you know if they have survived. Where do you keep them through the winter? Do you keep them outside or in an enclosement or garage?

I like that idea...that way you know if they have survived. Where do you keep them through the winter? Do you keep them outside or in an enclosement or garage?

The idea is to make sure they survive so I leave them outside. Once the leaves fall off I dig them up and once they bloom I plant the bucket. If they are dormant I don't think it's a real big shock to them if u move them.

Make sure u drill a few holes near the bottom of the bucket though so the water can drain out if they get to much water.

I have never tried ever green trees just maple.

I have never planted pine or whatever else they are called but it seems as my ash trees die I seem more evergreen trees coming up. Fine with me. I'm also looking for trees to plant that grow fast and provide privacy. So far I have done well with transplanting maple trees that grew on their own. I was thinking about weeping willows next.

I have a 5 acre wooded lot with a house in the rear. With all my cover dieing I'd like to rebuild my forest before it's a field. I live in N.Y. and I have thought about populars because they grow quick but so do maples and apparently willows. Poplars are like forest ash straight and not much coverage. They could be 50 feet tall and look like a stick.
Careful with the Willows as they have a root system that loves to penetrate your drain field and clog the pipes (if you have a septic system). My neighbor said when growing up that a Willow more than 100ft away was able to clog his drains.

Careful with the Willows as they have a root system that loves to penetrate your drain field and clog the pipes (if you have a septic system). My neighbor said when growing up that a Willow more than 100ft away was able to clog his drains.

My house is 600 feet from the road and it's in the woods. There's about an acre of open grass by the road that I mow for no reason. That's where I want to plant trees. In the summer you can't see my house and I want to maintain that after the ash trees die. I won't be planting anything near the house.

My house is 600 feet from the road and it's in the woods. There's about an acre of open grass by the road that I mow for no reason. That's where I want to plant trees. In the summer you can't see my house and I want to maintain that after the ash trees die. I won't be planting anything near the house.
Then you want to plant a Cedar hedge. They grow fast too.
You can find small saplings and plant them 2-3 feet apart to grow together and it will finish as a complete hedge one day.

Just remember that larger trees planted close to property lines, generally end up as "having a fight with a neighbor" stories on web sites.
If the drip line will be oh say, 30 ft from trunk, You'd do well to plant the tree at least 20ft away from the lot line.

you could plant bamboo.in 3 years they were 25 feet tall,and they were free. most years they stay green all winter

Latest posts

Back