Need new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kent0242

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm a newbie here.

I have a McCulloch PM 610 that I bought new in the early 90's. It's been a real workhorse thru the years, but recently the clutch came loose.

I'd like to repair this saw, but I also would like to find a comparable replacement. I don't know the specs on it, but my guess is that it was a 61cc. It originally came with a 24" bar, but I finally switched to a 22" when I couldn't find 24's anymore.

I am not afraid of a good used saw, but also realize that technology has made strides over the years.

If I replace it with new, I'd like to stay below $300, used - below $200.

I have read a little about Jonsereds and am not sure that they are turbocharged or not. According to charts on the web, cc for cc, they are about equal in HP as other Huskys and Stihls.

Thanx in advance for any assistance you can provide.

well i kow somebody who has an 036 thats heck of a good saw used..
its 61 cc and a real good saw at that size.. plus if u get him to power port it ,
it would be even better.. contact dan henry..i dont have the slightest idea what he would want for it..

It will be mighty hard to get a new 60cc saw for $300, at least one worth spending money on.

You can however get a nice new saw in that price range.

What are you going to use it for? What did you like about the McCulloch and what didn't you like?

*edit --Jonsered saws are basically red Huskies though they don't sell all the Husky models, I would probably get the Husqvarna unless the Jonsered was a good deal.

Last edited:
I have been using the saw for cutting firewood.

I dropped some oak trees in my neighbor's yard over the years and then cut them to suitable sized rounds for hand-splitting.

36" seems to be the biggest diameter tackled so far. I take cast offs from wherever I can and cut them down to size.

I made a BIG mistake by buying a smaller 18" 'chainsaw'. It's better suited to cutting limbs and such.

So I need something that can cut trees into rounds for further processing. I use it for personal consumption, and after reconsidering, I suppose $400 towards the high side for a good saw would meet with my budget.

Thanx for the replies.

Well, there are many many options for your needs, I've got a Jonsered that would suit your needs well, I HAD a Pro Mac 610 for awhile, it was my favorite saw for the power, torque and antivibration system, the weight was the only drawback to me, I got mine used with a gummed up carb and a dull chain, not a bad deal for $5 at a yard sale. It had a 16" bar and chain from the factory, carlton chain with the McCulloch logo stamped into the tie straps, and the bar said Montgomery Wards on it, as my saw was bought from that store new, then I got it and fixed it up, nice saw for the $$ I spent on it.

As far as speed of cutting and weight, that old McC would lose hands down to many saws smaller than it is.

Husky 353/Jonsered 2152 can be had off the rack with 16", 18" or even 20" bar at about $350 locally, better off the internet. This saw would probably keep up with 610. Husky 55 should be available at similar price, has more cc's but not as good antivibe. AS mentioned Husky 359/Jonsered 2159 would badly embarass the old McC, for $400, give or take.

Talking used, keep your eyes peeled for a Husky 61, 266, 268...they sell used for less than the popular 272's and it;s current replacement, the 372. The 365 roughly corresponds to the old 268 and can be had new for abour $475.

Best bang for the buck for the firewood cutter might be EFCO saw...they have a couple saws in that general range too that perform quite well. They are also rebadged as John Deere and also now Cub Cadet. The 56cc saw will retail out at around $350 or so.

I don't think anyone answered the "turbocharged" question. "Turbo" as it applies to chainsaws is Electrolux's description of their air filtration system. It is not a power adding feature, rather a way to keep the air filter cleaner longer.

Watch ebay for a Husqvarna 261. I've seen a lot of new ones go on there lately. At 4.2 Hp, it's a slightly detuned 262XP, which was a good saw. I bet you could get it well under $400. After running that, you'll use the Mac for a boat anchor.

Try this

New 261

I looked up completed items, and one like it sold for $370.

Thanx for clearing up the 'turbo' issue. Kinda misleading in today's world to call it turbo when lots of us out here know what the term means in relation to engines.

Now that 'boat anchor' comment ..... hitting below the belt a little bit there! <grin!> The PM610 has been a trusty tool for a lot of years. It has cut wood to heat my house for at least 10 years and I viewed it every bit as reliable as my mauls and axes.

Of course, if I get a newer model, or 'new' model, I would expect that it will be lighter and hopefully, as powerful.

Thanx for all of the comments <even the boat anchor> - I appreciate the varied points of view and helpful suggestions.

Sorry, nothing personal. Just poking a little fun. I know Mac had it's day, and any of the current top manufacturers could meet the same fate. My dad has a Timberbear, which I think is real similar to the 610, and it is heavy, like close to the current 70cc class saws, and has a hard time keeping up with a current 50cc class saws. Does have a lot of torque, but there's just no comparison to the Husqvarnas, Stihls, and Dolmars, and others that are available now. I'm sure your 610 paid for itself many times over, so I guess what more could you ask?

We may be a little insulting to your trusty sidekick, but when you make your decision and get a new saw, you will be very pleasantly surprised. The new saw will weigh about 5-6 lbs less, won't vibrate much at all, and with the higher RPM will make most work seem almost effortless. The differences between most of the models talked about here will seem minor compared to the difference between your old saw and the new one.

I have a couple of those old 610's, so I know what they are like. I think they were available new until about 6 or 7 years ago (as the Timberbear), but they were really a 1975-technology saw.

i do understand the mans feelins about and ole steady trusted saw ,,that he knows well. half of the deal is knowing u tool in my opinion..heck one day everbody with these new red or blue saws will be sayin,, how the old trustworth 372 was one more good saw ,,for its time..:)

Kent,
I may have a few saws you might be interested in. I have a few Demo saws. I have a Dolmar PS540(54cc) with bar and chain $200 plus S/H(retails for $299) and a PS7300(72cc) with bar and chain for $495 plus S/H(retails for $625).
These saws have a few scratches from traveling around but very little run time, and they have full factory warranty.
Maybe one of these could fill the need for a new saw.
If you are interested, Let me know and I will get you some pictures.
Hunter

P.S. We are an Authorized Dolmar Dealer!

Last edited:
New Dolmars....Suggested sale prices....See dealer for best price.

PS540 (Pro 54cc)16/18" $299.99
PS6400 (Pro 64cc) 20" $499.99
Pro B & C.

Warranty: Commercial= 1 year
Non Commercial= 2 years

Offer Received

I got an offer to take a look at some newer saws and try them out to see what I'm getting into.

I appreciate all of the help. You guys are great and I look forward to being around here a while.

Thanx for the offers on the saws you guys have, too!

I suspect that I'll be back into making wood chips soon.

Originally posted by woodsjunkie
Kent,
One more saw you may want to take a good hard look at is the Efco 962 nice all around saw. I have one built by Mr.Dave Neiger who also hails from mich. that just flat out hauls the mail stongest 4ci. and under I have ever owned. We really like it maybe one of most under rated saws on the market.

Eric, how strong was that saw out of the box? The specs say that it is a strong runner, even stock, although I`m sure Dave knows where the hidden ponies are!

Russ

i run mine stock .. the set up on these saws is a little different.
its the only saw i got that went dn in rpm when i took the muffler off. went frm 13000 to 11000 rpm..but i run 2 set ups one 16 and one 20 inch.. its a bear at 16 and handles the 20 as well as my 036 did.. by the way i hijacked somebody elses computer..:) :)
ive also gone even more crazy.. u try movin,, with my sweet wife someday ,,and u will know what im talkin....by the way anybody tries,, movin on my lady ,,better be planning on doing it with a set of wings,[or horns ],on..shes mine:)

Latest posts

Back