Need new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outlaw5.0

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well my Craftsman 42cc 18" is getting tired and I need a bigger better saw. My grandfather has a old Stihl 031AV, must be over 30 years old, so a Stihl it will be. My local dealer has suggested the following models for a 20 inch bar, the MS290, MS310, MS390, and the MS361. He says its toss up between the 390 and the 361 for my 'weekend" usage. What would everyones opinion here be?. It will mainly be used for cutting trees in our subdivision and firewood.

Spend the extra money and get the 361. It will make your grandfather jealous.

I just ordered a MS 361 on Saturday after doing a couple months research on saws. It's a little pricey but a real step above the Mid-Range saws.

OK, Buy a Husky 359 and save your coins
I'm the first one to derail the topic of Stihls.

any dolmar guys out there ?

If you buy the 359, you will neen to spend extra money on a non-cat muffler, and you will still be short of the 361 for power. If I wanted a Husky, it would be a 357xp.

The 361 is a truly great saw, just get it, and don't look back!!! :rockn: :rockn:

Weekend work?

If you're doing weekend work, save your money. Go for the Echo 520.

Again, truth be told, as long as you take care of it, it will last a long time.

Of the options listed, the 361 is heads and shoulders above the other three. If you can justify the money, I'd go for it.

For those who are suggesting 50cc saws, I'd hold off on that idea. Running and actually using 20" of bar in hardwood is going to ask a lot more than those 50cc saws have to give. 60cc would be a realistic minimum, in my opinion.

Of the options listed, the 361 is heads and shoulders above the other three. If you can justify the money, I'd go for it.

For those who are suggesting 50cc saws, I'd hold off on that idea. Running and actually using 20" of bar in hardwood is going to ask a lot more than those 50cc saws have to give. 60cc would be a realistic minimum, in my opinion.

Good advice here. Using a common rule of thumb, where the displacement to bar length (inches) ratio should be at or greater than 3:1, buying anything less than a 60cc saw to pull a 20" bar is foolishness.

Although the 361 is pricey, it is a seriously well built and strong-performing saw. Conversely, DO NOT buy that lousy MS290, it is the bastard child of the Stihl lineup.

Again, this is where we need answers to that list of questions that we cooked up a few months ago that never got stickied. That way we could tell if he really needs a pro grade saw like the 361 or if the 290 would do him for 15 years to come.

Ian

I like this thought as well...

I additionally like the 3:1 rule. I've run a shindy 757 with a 20" bar, it was a great saw. Made nice confetti. Truth be told, If I had to go back through the beginning steps, I'd buy a >60cc powerhead w/32" bar and buy a 20" bar that fits it as well. This covers about 95% of homeowner work extrememly well, and if you want the full boat, get a little top-handle to go with it.

Look at how the 290,310,390 are put together, clam shell and plastic (resin). Then look at how the real chainsaw is put together 361. If money isn't a factor, the 361 is 3 times the saw the plastic cased clam shelled homeowners designed saws are. Get the magnesium cased saw with bolt on cylinder 361.
Look at Ipl's and see how the plastic ones are put together. Good luck.

Not to throw a wrench into your thinking. But you can get a Husky 372 for the cost of the 361 and a Dolmar 7900 in some places. So research and see what you really need.

Well my Craftsman 42cc 18" is getting tired and I need a bigger better saw. My grandfather has a old Stihl 031AV, must be over 30 years old, so a Stihl it will be. My local dealer has suggested the following models for a 20 inch bar, the MS290, MS310, MS390, and the MS361. He says its toss up between the 390 and the 361 for my 'weekend" usage. What would everyones opinion here be?. It will mainly be used for cutting trees in our subdivision and firewood.

Leaning toward the 361 at this moment.

If you are set on a Stihl then I would recommend the MS361 hands down.

Am I jealous ? I own One.

Now on the other hand, There are other saws out there to look at.
I said the 359 because it is the most underrated saw out there.
yes the 357xp is close if not better then the MS361. So close no one can tell.

All three saws will last you. as long as you take care of them. cleaning the saw makes a world of difference in longevity.
Take time to look at other choices.

Latest posts

Back