Need new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get the STIHL 361. I have a Husky 350 & 359 and the STIHL out cuts both.

Well my Craftsman 42cc 18" is getting tired and I need a bigger better saw. My grandfather has a old Stihl 031AV, must be over 30 years old, so a Stihl it will be. My local dealer has suggested the following models for a 20 inch bar, the MS290, MS310, MS390, and the MS361. He says its toss up between the 390 and the 361 for my 'weekend" usage. What would everyones opinion here be?. It will mainly be used for cutting trees in our subdivision and firewood.
Of the saws you mentioned I'd go with the MS361. Personally I'd go with a 18" b&c instead of a 20" b&c.

This spring my cousin and I each bought new saws, I got a ms361 and he got a ms310. His feels like a great saw until I pick mine up. Point being if it's your only saw you would probably be plenty happy with a 290/310 but if you ever pick up the 361 you may wish you had bought one. They're smooth, more powerfull and just have a higher quality feel to them.

how long did your craftsman last you?

Ian
I believe I bought it back around 2000-2001 after a bad storm and I lost a tree in my back yard. I have beat it pretty good, always at wide open throttle. The family also has house in Northern Wisconsin. Gone through 4 chains, and going on my 5th. It just does not have the power since 1/2 the stuff I cut can exceed the 18" bar. The saw just plain wears me out since its not really made for the use it sees. My late grandfathers Stihl 031 with a 16" bar is a powerhouse compared the craftsman.

Of the saws you mentioned I'd go with the MS361. Personally I'd go with a 18" b&c instead of a 20" b&c.
I need the 20" bar because many of the trees that I cut exceed the 18" bar. I would rather not get into the 440/441/460 size saw because of the cost/weight. I hear the 361 can handle the 20" bar.............maybe not like the 440/441/460, but good enough for my use.

Get the 361 if you can afford it

I need the 20" bar because many of the trees that I cut exceed the 18" bar. I would rather not get into the 440/441/460 size saw because of the cost/weight. I hear the 361 can handle the 20" bar.............maybe not like the 440/441/460, but good enough for my use.

The 361 can pull a 20" fine.....18" might be a better balance but I don't notice the extra 2".

The 361 can pull a 20" fine.....18" might be a better balance but I don't notice the extra 2".

It sure is, keep the bar as short as the situation allows.

I use a 15" more often than 18" on the 361, as the saw is more nimble with that one, and the wood is mostly 16" or smaller.

I believe I bought it back around 2000-2001 after a bad storm and I lost a tree in my back yard. I have beat it pretty good, always at wide open throttle. The family also has house in Northern Wisconsin. Gone through 4 chains, and going on my 5th. It just does not have the power since 1/2 the stuff I cut can exceed the 18" bar. The saw just plain wears me out since its not really made for the use it sees. My late grandfathers Stihl 031 with a 16" bar is a powerhouse compared the craftsman.

I'll probably be the lone voice of reason here, but if that 42cc craftsman lasted you for 7 years, you don't need a pro grade saw. The MS290 or Husky 455 will have you grinning from ear to ear for many many years with decent care UNLESS you really start cutting more than you have in the past. Save yourself some green. If you really want to step up, get a Husky 359. Bailey's offers the 455 with a 20" bar for $350. The 359 is $439 with a 20"er.

I'm now going to duck before the 290/455 haters start poking me with sharp objects. :laugh:

Ian

small wood

It sure is, keep the bar as short as the situation allows.

I use a 15" more often than 18" on the 361, as the saw is more nimble with that one, and the wood is mostly 16" or smaller.

15" on a 361? The 5100 and 339 should be wearing that........

I'll probably be the lone voice of reason here, but if that 42cc craftsman lasted you for 7 years, you don't need a pro grade saw. The MS290 or Husky 455 will have you grinning from ear to ear for many many years with decent care UNLESS you really start cutting more than you have in the past. Save yourself some green. If you really want to step up, get a Husky 359. Bailey's offers the 455 with a 20" bar for $350. The 359 is $439 with a 20"er.

I'm now going to duck before the 290/455 haters start poking me with sharp objects. :laugh:

Ian

Nope, I kinda agree with you. The 359 works, but again, I would buy a 350 before I owned a 455.

It will handle the 20in with no problem and it will be the best investment saw wise that you will make. Pay no attention to the other goons.:hmm3grin2orange:

If you're doing weekend work, save your money. Go for the Echo 520.

Again, truth be told, as long as you take care of it, it will last a long time.

He's already been playing with toys with his other saw. Doesn't need another one.

Pay no attention to me because I am a goon.:hmm3grin2orange:

Mow we really dont think you should talk about yourself that way in front of the new folks. :cheers:
I just hope the guy gets something soon. :help:

It will handle the 20in with no problem and it will be the best investment saw wise that you will make. Pay no attention to the other goons.:hmm3grin2orange:
I appreciate everyones input, I have decided on the Stihl MS361, it seems to be really good saw. I could get by with less saw, but I would rather not need to spend more money later...........like I'm doing now.

Last edited:
Back