Need new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I appreciate everyones input. I have decided on the Stihl MS361, it seems to be really good saw. I could get by with less saw, but I would rather not need to spend more money later...........like I'm doing now.

I think you are catching on, better to buy a saw bigger, than one not big enough.

Good call on the 361. That is a great saw. I'd like one, but, budgetary concerns, you know. It's also new, so I wouldn't be living up to my name.

Mark

Good choice. If you take care of it like your other saws it will last you a long time.
Good luck.

a ++++

I think you are catching on, better to buy a saw bigger, than one not big enough.
a++++ i agree buy the most power you can, but use sense able choosing based on your ability to safely run the saw and also yur ability to operate the saw without wearing yur self out and gettin hurt. buy the most power you can and buy two bars for the saw one short and one longgg bar.:chainsawguy:
just my beer monies worth

If the trees are too fat for an 18" bar, you need a 70cc saw not a 60cc..

I agree with that, based on the fact that you most times can easily cut 20"+ trees with an 18" bar.

Generally, for mature trees, I use the 18" and 7-pin for felling and some bucking, the 15" and 8-pin for limbing and most bucking.

Recently got a 361 and the more I use it the better it gets,. I have a 20 inch bar and it runs with no problem I think that I will take SawTroll advice and get a shorter bar for the bucking. The biggest tree I have had to work with was a 30" white oak and the 361 cut fine. Happy cutting.

Can't see paying $700 plus for the MS440, it would never see a 25 plus bar. The 25" bar/chain would do everything that I touch. Early this summer I cut down my neighbors 2 trees, my 18" bar went about 2.3 of the way thru the tree, bogged the saw down bigtime. I figured 20-25 bar would be plenty with a new saw. I plan on having a smaller bar also, just want the flexibility to run 16-25" bar, the 25" would see VERY little use, only for cutting trunks. The 361 seems like it could handle this from what most have said. The MS440 just seems like a waste to me, of course I could be wrong.:confused:

Last edited:
Can't see paying $700 plus for the MS440, it would never see a 25 plus bar. The 25" bar/chain would do everything that I touch. Early this summer I count down my neighbors 2 trees, my 18" bar went about 2.3 of the way thru the tree, bogged the saw down bigtime. I figured 20-25 bar would be plenty with a new saw. I plan on having a smaller bar also, just want the flexibility to run 16-25" bar, the 25" would see VERY little use, only for cutting trunks. The 361 seems like it could handle this from what most have said. The MS440 just seems like a waste to me, of course I could be wrong.:confused:
What type of wood are you going to be cutting, and how big is it?

What type of wood are you going to be cutting, and how big is it?
Pine, oak, poplar, birch, basically what ever has to be cut. I cut trees at our familys home in Wisconsin, plus cut trees here in Michigan. I do most work by word of mouth, recomendations from friends and etc. Usually works out to a few trees per summer. I just want flexibility, but not too much saw either.

Make sure you use very sharp full skip, on a 361 with a 24/25" bar (have to admit that I don't really like the idea for oak, but for an occational cut you should be OK).

Make sure you use very sharp full skip, on a 361 with a 24/25" bar (have to admit that I don't really like the idea for oak, but for an occational cut you should be OK).
Being that I build race engines and port cylinder heads, what mods would help out the 361 the most?. I love tinkering and making stuff better or faster.:rock:

A muffler mod is a good "place" to start, lots of gains there, compared to the complexity - but the saw sure gets lauder.

There are lots of treads about 361 muffler mods here, so do a search.....

I own a 361 and run an 18" bar 95+ percent of the time. It works VERY well. I also have a 24" bar for the occasional big oak or maple that gets in my way. Sounds alot like the same type of cutting you do. I can assure you the 361 will do it with grace. On the 24" bar, it ain't an 084 but it will handle it for "occasional" use.

And thats a bone stock machine.:heart: :heart:

ms361 is agood choice.You build race engines?Let me guess you have an outlaw 10.5 turbo mustang.
I have a semi finished outlaw10.5 1992 mustang, I'm bucking the trend and going with the procharger F3R. The cost is just too much to finish it right now, its one of the first mustangs from Skinny Kid.

Latest posts

Back