Need Unbiased Opinion on Buying A Top Handled Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eastexan

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I need some help from you Chainsaw Guru's out there. :help:
I'm retired and limited to a $300 top handled saw, and need an honest opinion. :confused:

I have arthritis, so I need something light and easy to start.
I realize that a Stihl MS-200T would probably be the very best, but when ya ain't got the money, ya just ain't got the money. :mad:
I have pretty much narrowed it down to a Stihl MS-192CE, a Husky T435, or an Echo CS-360T. All these are the same price ($299).

First of all, I've heard both good and bad about the Stihl MS-192. The Stihl dealer said they're not really a pro saw, so I wonder about the durability. I know that a lot of you guys have them and use & abuse them, so what are your experiences with them?

Next is the little Husky T435 that I was looking at the other day. It's supposed to be a pro saw and seems like a great little saw. But it's new and I can't find out much about it, other than the ones that have used it says its a little screamer. But since it's new and has that new stratified system on it, I don't know if it's durability has been proven yet.
The dealer said it's a rebadged Redmax GZ3500T, and that Redmax is a quality brand and owned by Husqvarna.

And lastly, the Echo CS-360T is a little heavier than the other two, but the ones that have them seem to like them and proven to be durable. The downside is that they're set too lean out of the factory, and that the limiter caps need to be pulled and the H & L setting readjusted. My problem with that is I wouldn't want to jeopardize their great 5 year warranty by messing with it. If I decided to go with this one, I would try to talk the dealer into doing it.

So, any advice from y'all would be welcome. :cheers:

Ronnie

The 192 will be fine!!!!!!

But the local line clearing crews swear by the echo top handles!!

I,unlike many people out there,like the 192t.It get's a lot of bad rap on here but for what it is.I like it.I like it for it's durability,weight and the fact that you can pick them up used in great condition all day long for $200.No it's not a 200t, never will be.But open up the muffler and it's a great pruning saw.

Steve

Are you a climber? What do you plan to do with it? A 192 is light and easy to start. It cuts well, it cut my hand too well, but that is a different story. A friend (who is a proper climber) commented that power was fine (compared to his 020T), he didn't like the narrow kerf bar, and the tiny fuel tank was a PITA.

Just a little insight, have you considered an echo cs-341? its lighter than the cs-360t. Also, Echo will pay to have the carb adjusted within the first 30 days that you own the saw, ask your dealer about it, if he doesn't know tell him to call Echo and ask them. They call it a break-in adjustment, I am not sure if you have to get it done at a signature dealer, or if any Echo dealer can do it. But they should pull the limiter caps and adjust the carb according to specs free of charge.

This issue is discussed here every week and of course I always repeat my self and I will give a link to the same video.

Just a little insight, have you considered an echo cs-341? its lighter than the cs-360t. Also, Echo will pay to have the carb adjusted within the first 30 days that you own the saw, ask your dealer about it, if he doesn't know tell him to call Echo and ask them. They call it a break-in adjustment, I am not sure if you have to get it done at a signature dealer, or if any Echo dealer can do it. But they should pull the limiter caps and adjust the carb according to specs free of charge.

This is my suggestion. Echo have very nice top handle saws and they are the preference saws for horticulturists as a do it all around the orchard, here in my area. Yesterday I worked with a 341 to prune a citrus orchard for 40 min with no need to refuel it. I would go even to the CS-360. Just take a look of the 341 cutting bigger wood.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QNV2cj4_x-Y&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QNV2cj4_x-Y&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:
1. Echo

2. Stihl 192T

I would choose between those two based on dealer support and price.

When Husqvarna makes a good top handle saw Dolmar will let you know.:poke:

Unless you're in a tree, you don't have a need for a top handled saw. They're not going to be any easier on your wrists, and are considerably more dangerous to operate.

I can only speak for the 192t, as I dont have experience with the others. I put a beaten on my 192t almost everytime I use it. It is designed as a limb saw, but I regularly cut up to 16 in wood with it, just because its the only saw I take with me on trail rides. It will hold its own, with any other top handle out there! Granted it is no 200 and I dont expect it to be. The fuel tank is a little on the smallish side, but its great on fuel. My opinion is to look hard for a 200 with a good price tag first, but if you cant find one, you will have a brand new 192t for the same money. Sorry for my ignorance of other brands.

My first and only top handles saw is a echo 3400, I got alot of bad opinions on this saw, its to slow, low on power , . But Ill tell you what I love this saw, I use it in the bucket and it starts great runs great and has decent power for what I wanted. I gave 70 bucks on ebay, and would not sell it for 200 today!
I will buy another echo in the future!

If convinced you NEED a TH, I'd definitely go for the T435 husky, I've never seen or used one though, but looking at it's specs it's very light and has a 1.5KW rating, that's good for a non-pro model. And it's a husqvarna. It's new and untested but hey, why not be the first to try?

192T's are very light too, they rev out high but their engine lacks real world torque, it's pretty weak below anything but full revs. The 360T is a typical bland echo, it wrings out more than any other echo TH but it feels cheap with it... None come close to a 200T or XPT but that's why they're around half the price.

Also it's true, a small rear handle like a 180 stihl or similar will likely be easier on your wrists at the end of the day and might be better choice really.

"And lastly, the Echo CS-360T is a little heavier than the other two, but the ones that have them seem to like them and proven to be durable. The downside is that they're set too lean out of the factory, and that the limiter caps need to be pulled and the H & L setting readjusted. My problem with that is I wouldn't want to jeopardize their great 5 year warranty by messing with it. If I decided to go with this one, I would try to talk the dealer into doing it."

Pull the caps and put them in the top drawer of your toolbox. Push them back in place if for some reason it needs to go in for warranty work, which is unlikely.

The CS-360T should not be compared to the CS-341 or any other Echo reed valve engine top handle. I have both saws here, well, I haven't used the old top handle since we got the CS-360T, it is faster and and stronger at every rpm.

Never knew Husqvarna made a 435T, but if it's based on the same engine as the 435, something to look at.....Cliff

Try the Dolmar 3410th. 34cc, good stout construction. Much less fuel line troubles than Stihl. This is unbiased of course!

A used 200T would be best but most used ones are beat to heck. 2nd would be the 192T, great TH for the budget minded tree guy. The Dolmar 3410 looks to be a great choice also. I've never used any husky THs, their pro model's prices are too close to the 200T to even consider imo. The echos never have impressed me with power levels.

Back