Needed a bigger saw. Can't afford new. Found a hardly used 064.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picture of my 066 red light with 3/4 wrap. I think I'm gonna like the handle like this. It just make sense on a falling saw to be able to cut with the saw turned either way.

attachment.php

Picture of my 066 red light with 3/4 wrap. I think I'm gonna like the handle like this. It just make sense on a falling saw to be able to cut with the saw turned either way.

attachment.php

That is all I needed to see before going to bed......the perfect three.

I got the mismatched three right now Stihl 064, Efco 156, Homelite super 2

That is all I needed to see before going to bed......the perfect three.

I got the mismatched three right now Stihl 064, Efco 156, Homelite super 2

LOL. There's several more in the shop. A feller needs plenty to choose from when he's gonna cut something. Right??? :hmm3grin2orange:

Well my closest Stihl Dealer was at an Ace Hardware store. The guy didn't seem to enthusiastic about my parts list yesterday (Sunday). I have not bought anything from him so I kind of understand. He said he would call Stihl today Monday) and then call me with the total price tag. I didn't get a phone call today :frown: On a good note, I have soaked the piston and cylinder with the decarbonizer for 24 hours.

I went into the Stihl dealer as soon as they opened. He had forgotten about me and my parts list. I told him to get it done today and call me later. He did only he could not figure out which clutch drum I needed. I told him to order the rest of the parts and I will handle the clutch drum. Not to sure about him and his knowledge.

That is the number I used......what was stamped on the drum. When I went to the parts diagram/list it did not match. Then when I brought it to the dealer he was not able to find a price. I found one on eBay along with a chain catcher (which I forgot to put on my list).

An 064/066 without a full (3/4) wrap is like a 1 ton dually with a single cab and a short bed. It just don't look right.

Update on project 064

So I been waiting for the Stihl dealer to call and he didn't. I decided to stop in and the manager I talked to was not there. So another manager and I went looking for the parts and there they were, on his desk buried under crap:msp_mad: I didn't check my order there. I paid and left. When I got home I got 10 exhaust gaskets instead of one, one of the buffers were wrong, and the fuel vent hose had to be modified.:angry: If anyone needs an exhaust gasket, let me know.

As far as the saw, during the wait I took a Dremel tool to the exhaust port. It looks NICE. I started to put it back together and it has gone fairly well.
This slowed me down a bit:
View attachment 194844

There has got to be an easier way to recoil these. I am newbie and what I did was use two nails pounded into my bench. It was quite amusing to coil it up only to find out I did it backwards! Well maybe not so amusing at the time. Should have the saw back together completely tomorrow or Friday when I get my half wrap in the mail.

Those springs are a bugger. I have only done three but they all gave me fits. I hold it in my left hand and pinch down and pull and wind with the right. When I get it small enough I slip in and put the metal cover on. Then I wind it tighter with the plastic rope spool and then thread the pull rope in. Just be careful the metal is sharp and likes to jump up and bite you.

It jumped and bit me. So there is no other tricks to it? You just have to wind it up outside of the cover and then install huh? I guess if I did it again I would be able to do it on the first or second try. Just got to make sure its not backwards:bang:

I'm not trying to sound whatever here, but I simply wind them up in my hand and stick them in, no trouble at all. I hold the spring in my left hand and spin the spring around itself. I then pull it out to tighten it up and wind it back up again. I get it a fair amount smaller than it needs to be, and then just stick it in the recoil. Easy peasy:)

I'm not trying to sound whatever here, but I simply wind them up in my hand and stick them in, no trouble at all. I hold the spring in my left hand and spin the spring around itself. I then pull it out to tighten it up and wind it back up again. I get it a fair amount smaller than it needs to be, and then just stick it in the recoil. Easy peasy:)

You is a pro. I is a newbie. Like anything I have ever worked on, it gets easier the more ya do it.

You is a pro. I is a newbie. Like anything I have ever worked on, it gets easier the more ya do it.

I can't stand to see you having the issues you are getting parts. Let me know the PNs you need and I can have them the next day if ordered before noon. Throw them in a Priority box, and you'll have them 1-3 days later.

Next time I need parts, I will be calling you. The buffer that was wrong, I checked my number that I gave him and I was right. I ended up reusing the old one. It wasn't to bad....just a little outta shape and soft. Not damaged. Like I said before, eventually you will get my saw to work on. I just got to run into some cash. Thanks Brad. Thanks to RUDEDOG as well. He hooked me up with a HD1 filter and a practically new half wrap for very cheap. I will have pictures up soon. I am going to need a larger bar like a 32" with several chains if anyone out there has one. Its not an immediate issue yet.

MIKE

Looks great!

Did you have the flywheel off? If so, did it have two crusts, and did you install it back in the same one?

Confirm that you have spark. If the plugs not wet, put a but of mix down the carb throat. All it takes is spark, air, and fuel.

Latest posts

Back