New Chain Sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that the cutters are produced by a third party, and should be able to be found....

It is cute that most of you guys think the world revolves around chainsaws......

Well thanks Fish! I'm glad that we keep you amused. It's nice to know that we provide a few moments entertainment for you in an otherwise drab and irrelevant life.

One of the issues with sharpening is that not all files are 'the same', and not all grinding wheels are 'the same'. There are trade-offs between speed of cut, smoothness of finish, life of the file/grinding wheel, etc. The different grinders you mention might make less of a difference (assuming that they run true) than the wheels used. Then, of course, there is the skill of the user!

I have watched this thread with interest, and would like the chance to see/try one of the Timberline sharpeners some day. It appears to provide a finished tooth that posters here have been impressed with, without too much fuss. But you are also limited to a few, specific choices.

With a grinder I can change a number of the sharpening angles (if I want/need to) for different chains or different types of cutting. I can put on different wheels (although, some are hard to get) to grind quicker, or to provide a smoother finish, if that is important. Same with filing - I could start with a coarse file for really rocked chain, then finish with a smoother file. But this all assumes that I want to do this or that it is important.

My bottom line has always been for people to find something that works for them. I have only see positive things posted in this thread, so I have to assume that it works for a lot of guys.

Philbert

I don't know if you know this but you can get 25 and 35 degree angle guides for this sharpener. I realize with a grinder, you can do more precise angle changes.

I will not be buying a grinder, I was just saying I know someone that has a Oregon grinder that used to do our sharpening for nothing. It is just more convenient to do it on our own time. I have a HF grinder and do not like it that much. I just use it if I really damage a chain.

I have a HF grinder and do not like it that much. I just use it if I really damage a chain.

There is a lot of personal preference here. I started with a hand file & simple guide, then an Oregon bar-mounted file guide, etc. But once I got started on a grinder found it 'best' for me for most stuff, and use the other stuff occasionally.

Having your grinder to 'clean up' rocked chains, then finishing with the Timberline could be a good combo for you.

Philbert

Sharpener

Did a search but couldn't find any reviews,has anyone seen or tried this sharpener?
Timberline Chainsaw Sharpener |Sharpen Your Chainsaw Looks like a nice unit, but pricey! It would be ok if it was fast and accurate, but the price of the burrs and the tool itself seems a bit high!

Old51AVE :greenchainsaw:

Looks like a well made tool, dont really think the price is bad if it works ok!

All I can add is that the price was worth it for me since I wanted consistent even results on each tooth and wasn't real confident with hand filing.

They will break if dropped on a concrete floor, don't ask how I know.

Phil ships this stuff out pretty fast.

For the price of the cutters, an extra one would probably assure the tool would almost outlast you. (If you don't drop it :bang:)

sharpeners

There are two things I look for in a chain sharpener...sharp and fast. If I have to sharpen chains after work I want good results without being exiled to the garage all evening.

As nearly as I can tell the Timberline will put as good an edge on a chain as a grinder. I can get a slightly better edge if I hand file but the increase is so small that most people wouldn't notice. The extra time it takes isn't usually worth it.

The Timberline, once you get used to it, is faster than hand filing and your teeth will be consistent in angle and size. It's not quite as fast as a grinder if you need to do a dozen.. but if you're only doing a couple of chains, or the same chain over and over it's just as quick.

The Silvey is a fine machine, the Oregon not quite as good but perfectly acceptable. But unless you're doing a lot of chains, or just feel like having another gadget to play with (don't we all?) they're not really cost effective.

Unfortunately silvey, I hear is going out of buisness.

All I can add is that the price was worth it for me since I wanted consistent even results on each tooth and wasn't real confident with hand filing.

They will break if dropped on a concrete floor, don't ask how I know.

Phil ships this stuff out pretty fast.

For the price of the cutters, an extra one would probably assure the tool would almost outlast you. (If you don't drop it :bang:)

Bert......don't beat yourself up just because you're clumsy. We're not all bless with the same hand/eye coordination. :taped:

Looks like a well made tool, dont really think the price is bad if it works ok!

I can make chips with a file. I'm not as consistant as I would like, this thing shows how far off your angles can be. Santa brought mine this last Christmas. It took a few minutes to get it correct the first time (the vid on Timberlines website helps) I have nothing bad to say about it. Shipping was FAST. Phil didn't get the CC # correct or I didn't say it correct. he called me right back to verify it. That was on Thur Dec 20th. it showed up Sat Dec. 22th. He also gave me the AS discount. All and all it works very well for me.

Well thanks Fish! I'm glad that we keep you amused. It's nice to know that we provide a few moments entertainment for you in an otherwise drab and irrelevant life.

Did I say that?????

I get cranky when I need a Snickers.......

I apologize.......

I need to break down and get one of these. I've got many loops of chain that have come to me on used saws. Most have lots of tooth life left.........but the angles area always TERRIBLE (inconsistant and just plain wrong) to the point of causing the saws to cut to one side. Takes a lot of time to correct the angles with a file......so the loops sit in a box.

I was impressed with the Timberline when Bob let me try his out. Was able to correct a REALLY screwed up .404 chain with it in about 15 minutes or so (including about 15 minutes of 'no instruction manual' fiddling setup time).

I need to break down and get one of these. I've got many loops of chain that have come to me on used saws. Most have lots of tooth life left.........but the angles area always TERRIBLE (inconsistant and just plain wrong) to the point of causing the saws to cut to one side. Takes a lot of time to correct the angles with a file......so the loops sit in a box.

I was impressed with the Timberline when Bob let me try his out. Was able to correct a REALLY screwed up .404 chain with it in about 15 minutes or so (including about 15 minutes of 'no instruction manual' fiddling setup time).

OOPs I thought you'd used one before so I didn't want to bore you with more instructions. How's this?

How to use Timberline Chainsaw Sharpener - YouTube

I just ran the file over the chain on my 250 for the first time. Mercy, I gonna order one of those. What a pain the file is.

File has its place.

If you are rested and focused, it is faster and gives you tactile feedback.

However, when you are hot, sweaty and tired, the focus is not there and the results show it.

However, when you are hot, sweaty and tired, the focus is not there and the results show it.
Knowing when to call it a day is by far the safest technique I've learned so far. It's quite a discipline. Not one often appreciated by everybody, especially when there's "only an hour's work left".

Do any of you know if Timberline will have a booth at the National Farm Machinery Show in Louisville next week?

Do any of you know if Timberline will have a booth at the National Farm Machinery Show in Louisville next week?

I doubt it. Call the guy and ask him. He is a real nice guy, I think the discussion here has sold a bunch of his sharpeners

Have no clue, but I sure want to make the NFMS one of these years! Pretty much any farm show would sell quite a few of these sharpeners in my opinion.

Back