New Chainsaw buying advice?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking at the specs in the Stihl catalog I got yesterday is interesting. The 361 seems to shine compared to the heavier and larger engined 390. The 361 is advertised as making 4.3 bhp with a 59cc eng while the 390 makes 4.3 bhp with a 64.1cc eng. The 260 seems to have the same advantages over the 280 as well; very close to same power with smaller engine.
Glen, I would really like to hear your impressions if you get a 361.
thanks, Zane

Zane,

I'll be happy to.  Jokers has graciously sent an MS361 to me and it should arrive any day.

The thread Rich linked to is interesting, but perhaps not entirely pertinent to your situation.  The porting work adds on the order of $200 to the price of the saw right off the top.  I like to play with things that are as powerful as they possibly can be, but I'm not convinced that squeezing much more out of the stock configuration (apart from opening the muffler just enough to balance some additional noise with letting a bit of heat out) is not detrimental to the overall life of the saw.  I've got a gut feeling that the engineers make the saws as light as possible in the crankcase/bearings/etc. while providing for decent longevity.  For guys that go out into the woods with their saws and can make enough in a couple of days to make some money plus enough to buy another saw, the increase in production probably makes it worthwhile for them.

Think about it.  If you could get an MS361 and for as much additional money as it would cost to buy the MS440, you could get the smaller saw to be able to cut with the bigger one, there's no way it would do it (on average) for the same length of time in equivalent circumstances.

That's not to try to talk you out of it, though, but is rather just me expressing my opinion on the matter.

At any rate, I'm quite familiar with my 036 and am eagerly anticipating the direct comparison between it and it's younger brother.  I just hope there won't be undue sibling rivalry...

Glen

glens said:
At any rate, I'm quite familiar with my 036 and am eagerly anticipating the direct comparison between it and it's younger brother.  I just hope there won't be undue sibling rivalry...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Glens, putting us all through one of your comparsion tests, I’m anticipating, is going to be brutal!

Jokers, could you please ask us ahead of time, if we even want Glens to do a test, before you send Glens your saw. Thanks LJS

Back