New climbing saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdg

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all. New here and all...nice site. I recently purchased a new Husqvarna T435 climbing saw. I shot some shoddy pictures with my too old digital camera. Maybe I should have gotten a new one of those instead of a new saw. :laugh:. I have used it a couple times now, and think I like it. I have only run almost 3 tanks of gas through it so far though, so, we'll see. I really like the weight. I hauled it up 5 pines and didn't even notice it until I started it up and used it. Quite unlike the time I tried to climb with the 46.

Anyways, so far I have chopped on some willow, pine, elm, and apricot. Probably the biggest pieces were the willow, at about 10" dia. Seemed to cut just fine in everything. It is much faster than my hand saw. I was getting worn out trying to hack off those petrified pine limbs/nubs/stubs. Whatever they're called.

I don't like the primer bulb, but it's there. I only have had to use it the first start up of the day, just a pump or two. Pretty sure I'd like two bar nuts/studs, but it seems stable. I don't lean on my saws anyways, so it shouldn't matter I guess. It has an adjustable oiler. Big plus in my book. It has a side tensioner, another big plus for me. It is in the side cover though and not in the case, making me wonder about durability. I like the kill switch position, but wish it was spring loaded or something. With a bit of use I'll probably automatically pop it back to run after the engine dies. The choke has been a first start up use only also, unlike my 55 rancher, which seems to need choked every time the thing sits for more than a couple minutes. Breaks over, why won't my saw start?

I got the 12" bar, I have bigger saws if I need bigger bars. I guess mainly I got this for limbing on the way up, or down, so it should work just fine with a 12" bar. It ain't the size of the bar, it's how you use it? Ha. I could probably take some small tops with it before getting the bigger saw, so that's good enough for me. For now. I don't do too many climbing removals anyways, mostly pruning and such. Another plus, it has a metal bumper spike.

Let's see. I don't like the brake. It is a bear to take off, maybe with some use it will loosen up a bit. As it is, it takes a very firm pull to take off, firm enough to bend the guard about an inch or two. I hope it doesn't snap off some day. I will have to try to remember to grab it nearer the right side, not in the middle. I have also had to pull the starter a couple times to get it started when hot, but i think this may be a combination of jetting and not remembering that the off switch is on the off position. Mostly operator head space and timing, I bet, meaning I have probably been flooding it a bit trying to start it when the switch is in the off position. Ha. I do like the muffler because it blows away from me, to the front. Hopefully I don't ever start a fire in the tree with it blowing that way. That could be ugly. Maybe I don't like the muffler, now that I think about it. Ah well, we all gotta go sometime. I'll just have to watch out for breaking brakes and burning trees I guess.

I didn't time it, but it seems to run quite some time on a tank of gas. I forgot to check on the first three pine trees (climbers), and then cut down some more stuff, about 5-6 and chopped them up. That took maybe about 1.5-2 hours (saw ran probably an hour all added up?). I remembered to check before I climbed the next set though, and it still had some gas, maybe a couple mouthfuls. Hard to say how long it ran since it was on and off a lot. Maybe I'll find a bunch of little stuff to use it on and get a better picture.

I was a bit dissatisfied with the climbing attachments. The Husky site clearly shows a hole in the handle. I had to have the saw ordered, as my local dealer didn't have one in stock. Looking now, the husky site clearly shows a picture of what I have to assume is the 334 or 338. Don't they have a digital camera? Ha. They probably make a digital camera. Oh well. So, after I ordered the saw, I ran home and ordered a Weaver bungee saw strap and some other things from Tree Stuff and waited by the mail box. Impatiently. I have to say, that strap is cool. Once the saw got here one of the first things I noticed was the missing hole. It was filled in with orange plastic. In return I got two metal loops, one stationary and one folding. They do seem a bit wimpy, hopefully they don't fail and end up losing my saw for me. This also made that strap a bit overkill, it has two rings and a loop, but hey, it's bungee. I tried to fix it to the handle with the loop, but it only got in the way of my hand. On the plus side I now have 4 rings and a loop, which is nice in the way of flexibility. Sitting at my desk now, I can't remember how exactly I attached everything, but it worked out nicely. Also on the plus side, I think, is the position of the rings. They are on the back/bottom of the saw. I'm just speculating here, but it seems this saw might hang better from there, rather than from the handle.

Oh, one more thing. The air cleaner is a plastic screen. Kind of like the flocked filter that was on the little 26 I used to use, and come to think of it, kind of like the flocked one on the 55. Not sure about how well it will hold up, but if it's like the 55, it won't ever see any saw dust anyways. I'd guess it will last longer than the saw unless something like a screwdriver goes through it, or a log lands on the saw. Car drives over it...thrown out of a tree cause it won't start. Ha. I just thought it was kind of neat though, I've never seen an air filter like that.

So, in short, so far I like it. I'll have to beat it up and bang it around bit to be sure. The only other climbing saw I have really used was an 009. Did not like that one at all. Now, here's some ugly pictures. :).

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

As you can see, I'm not a photographer. So here's a few more shots of it.

Nice one of that nifty plastic screen.
attachment.php

Brake thingy, locked and unlocked.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Some muff shot.
attachment.php
attachment.php

And finally the oiler adjuster and clips. Ha, that's a real good picture.
attachment.php

One folds out and one is stationary.
attachment.php

attachment.php

I finally found the spark plug, It's hiding under that gray cover. :clap:.

Looks comfy and light, you'd like it even more by ditching that nasty chain bro, and swapping on a proper one

That exhaust is pretty wild looking. I don't think you'll be catching any limbs on fire with that. I'd be tempted to join together those two rectangular openings on the front side for a little more flow (once the warranty expired, of course).

Nice saw.... Haven't heard many bad things about the orange RedMax strato. Very light & compact, makes decent power... Plus it's cheap, so if it does suffer a mishap you're not out big money. I think it will serve you well with a better chain. Heard good things about the Oregon 91vxl, or you can switch it from 3/8LoPro to 1/4.... Anyway, be safe out there, and keep us posted on how it does in the tree with a little beating.

--- Funny you said that if it doesn't start you'd throw it out of the tree. I've known more than one saw that came crashing down for that exact reason.... I actually watched a guy throw one into a chipper..... also watched an 066 end up in a tub-grinder.

Love that spiffy Walmart hat.

Nice pictures!!!
I asked about this saw about 3-4 months ago, where were you! LOL!

Thanks, let us know how she runs, and I agree as said above, ditch the safety chain!

Good informative write up.

Decent pics.

I'm in the market for a top handle and was looking at the Stihls, can anyone compare this to the stihl 190/192?
It's got the price of the 192, but looks like the power of the 200.

Also - on the Bailey's web site it clearly shows the metal loops, on the Husky site the hole.

After further surfing it looks like it's a rebadged remax http://www.redmax.com/node3937.aspx?nid=173561, with the specs changed slightly due to rounding?

available for $275 http://www.wisesales.com/redmax_gz3500t.html

Last edited:
Have a rear handle 435

They probably share some maintenance & mechanical parts with a T435,
but are for different applications. After you have used it for while, make
another report, AS members would like to hear from owner/users that have
some time with a saw.

Good informative write up.

Decent pics.

...It's got the price of the 19(2), but looks like the power of the 200...

Unfortunately that scenario would only ever happen at fantasy-world, or on a glossy Echo sales brochure.... :cool:

Unfortunately that scenario would only ever happen at fantasy-world, or on a glossy Echo sales brochure.... :cool:

Don't understand the comment.

The base list prices are the same for the 192 and the RedMax/Husky.
The power rating on the RedMax is 1.94 HP, Husky rounds it to 2hp, on the 200T it's 2hp, the 192 is 1.7hp.
The RedMax displaces 35.2CC/weighs 7.3lb, the 200T 35.2CC/7.9lb, the 192 30.1CC/7.0lb.

So on spec the RedMax/Husky has the same displacement, nearly the same HP as the 200T and weighs 0.6lb less. But it's priced like the 192.

I agree that the build on the Stihl 200T is probably better, like the difference between my JD CS 62 and a Stihl. But the price difference is great - $300 vs $600, or buy two RedMax's (or two 192's) for the price of one Stihl 200T.

The power rating on the RedMax is 1.94 HP, Husky rounds it to 2hp, on the 200T it's 2hp, the 192 is 1.7hp.
The RedMax displaces 35.2CC/weighs 7.3lb, the 200T 35.2CC/7.9lb, the 192 30.1CC/7.0lb.

So on spec the RedMax/Husky has the same displacement, nearly the same HP as the 200T and weighs 0.6lb less. But it's priced like the 192.

I agree that the build on the Stihl 200T is probably better, like the difference between my JD CS 62 and a Stihl. But the price difference is great - $300 vs $600, or buy two RedMax's (or two 192's) for the price of one Stihl 200T.

I own a MS200T and a MS200 rear handle!
But completely agree with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:agree2:

I dont know the model # but I've used my friend's jonesred (probly didn't spell that right) that is close to the husky you have in spec. It was a nice saw started easy and ran well. It also had slightly higher displacement. I believe 39 but did not cut as well as my 200T. Both had similar chains. I would definitely buy one of those over the 192T I started with though. About the same price.

Nice looking saw. I wish that model would have been out when I got my 192. I especially like the exhaust placement. Seems less likely to be a leg burner when on your harness.

Gem, as far as performance(and a lot of other things) there's no comparison between a two for one saw and the one for two saw, cheers.

Looks comfy and light, you'd like it even more by ditching that nasty chain bro, and swapping on a proper one

Yeah, I haven't even sharpened that one yet. Tell you the truth I didn't even look at the chain. Ha. Once this one wears out or I get miffed at it I'll probably go with something from Bailey's, if I can't find my saw guy. He's retired now and increasingly harder to find. Must be nice. :).

That exhaust is pretty wild looking. I don't think you'll be catching any limbs on fire with that. I'd be tempted to join together those two rectangular openings on the front side for a little more flow (once the warranty expired, of course).

I thought it was neat too, it takes quite a convoluted path. I was looking at one of the pics of it and have to agree about starting fires. Not too sure what those two little holes are supposed to accomplish. I'd think if anything fill em up and widen the main outlet. Admittedly I don't know squat about modding saws though, besides the bit I've read here on AS. I wonder how much garbage is in the muffler itself impeding flow. Probably wouldn't make a difference if I chopped off the whole end. Ha.

Nice saw.... Haven't heard many bad things about the orange RedMax strato. Very light & compact, makes decent power... Plus it's cheap, so if it does suffer a mishap you're not out big money. I think it will serve you well with a better chain. Heard good things about the Oregon 91vxl, or you can switch it from 3/8LoPro to 1/4.... Anyway, be safe out there, and keep us posted on how it does in the tree with a little beating.

--- Funny you said that if it doesn't start you'd throw it out of the tree. I've known more than one saw that came crashing down for that exact reason.... I actually watched a guy throw one into a chipper..... also watched an 066 end up in a tub-grinder.

Love that spiffy Walmart hat.

Thanks. I'll have to check out those chains when it's time. Honestly too, price was a big factor for me. I only do tree work now for fun and extra bones. Funny thing is, I seem to always find an excuse to spend those extras on more tree things. Ha. I guess it's in my blood. I hope I've matured enough to not throw things. Haha. What's it called when you lie to yourself, denial? I did hear a story about a poodle going through a chipper once. I bet that chipper loved getting a saw shoved down its throat. :laugh:. And hey, the hat was free, all I had to do was work there. Haha! If that job wasn't so gravy...

Nice pictures!!!
I asked about this saw about 3-4 months ago, where were you! LOL!

Thanks, let us know how she runs, and I agree as said above, ditch the safety chain!

Haha, I know what you mean. Actually, I tried to find my nearest Dolmar dealer. I was real keen on that 3410 TH. Everything I read on that little guy sounded great. Unfortunately the dealer locator map took me to a trailer park. Between that and me not being smart enough to jot down the address... I guess someone is there selling saws out of their house? I was eyeballing one on ebay that supposedly only had one tank of gas run through it. Then again a saw with one tank of straight gas would look spankin new too. :). So yeah, I could find precious little about this Husky too. Decided what the heck. Seems like everyone has an MS200t already, so I'll be the local guinea pig on this one. :cheers:.

Latest posts

Back