New climbing saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good informative write up.

Decent pics.

I'm in the market for a top handle and was looking at the Stihls, can anyone compare this to the stihl 190/192?
It's got the price of the 192, but looks like the power of the 200.

Also - on the Bailey's web site it clearly shows the metal loops, on the Husky site the hole.

After further surfing it looks like it's a rebadged remax http://www.redmax.com/node3937.aspx?nid=173561, with the specs changed slightly due to rounding?

available for $275 http://www.wisesales.com/redmax_gz3500t.html

Thanks. I don't have any climbing saw to compare it to other than an old 009 that was junk when I got it. I like this one better. One thing I noticed on the 192 was flippy caps. My first question was if it was possible to switch them out. They said no. I figured I could get over whatever misgivings I thought I had (never used them) as long as they worked. (not trying to fan some flames here, just bumbling through my thoughts. :).) I asked about the controls, starting stopping and such. They told me every time you start the 192 you have to go to half choke and then no choke. I asked about hot starting and they repeated the same line. Didn't sound right to me, but I wasn't about to stand around and argue with someone who probably knew what they were talking about. Sounded like a pita though, to me. Bailey's is down for maint right now, but I believe ya. I paid about $340 with tax. I think the dealer may have gotten me with a $20 bar. Maybe they charged me for a bar so they could have a new bar for their saw. Maybe he was on the up and up, and that's how it works. Seems like the 192 was about $340 or something before tax, so I'm not complaining. Looking at the site now that can't be right, but then again, I remember thinking the same thing when I checked last time. :confused:.

After you have used it for while, make
another report, AS members would like to hear from owner/users that have
some time with a saw.

Will do. More scouts honor. What if I was never in the scouts though? :censored:! :blush:.

Nice looking saw... Seems less likely to be a leg burner when on your harness.

Yes, I got some pictures before I used it and stuff. First time for everything. :). So far I have not burned anything. I have yet to even notice it when it's hanging.

Gem, as far as performance(and a lot of other things) there's no comparison between a two for one saw and the one for two saw, cheers.

Haha. That would be a good sig pgg. Maybe I'll take it, with your permission of course.

Don't understand the comment.

The base list prices are the same for the 192 and the RedMax/Husky.
The power rating on the RedMax is 1.94 HP, Husky rounds it to 2hp, on the 200T it's 2hp, the 192 is 1.7hp.
The RedMax displaces 35.2CC/weighs 7.3lb, the 200T 35.2CC/7.9lb, the 192 30.1CC/7.0lb.

So on spec the RedMax/Husky has the same displacement, nearly the same HP as the 200T and weighs 0.6lb less. But it's priced like the 192.

I agree that the build on the Stihl 200T is probably better, like the difference between my JD CS 62 and a Stihl. But the price difference is great - $300 vs $600, or buy two RedMax's (or two 192's) for the price of one Stihl 200T.

the thing with the 200T is throttle response. It revs up as fast as you can pull the trigger. The lesser saws just don't do that. Build quality is another issue. I have ipls for all current top handles. 200T is the only split magnesium case saw. Every other saw is a clamshell or modified clamshell (like the 338xpt/jred2139T) that makes a difference in bottom end longevity since these saws run with a lot of bursts that hammer bearings more than a larger saw (not to mention the bearings are heavier on 200T as well). And lastly, you can take out the spark screen unit on a 200T with one screw and gain a whole bunch of chutzpah for free while keeping warranty fully intact. Muffler mods on most others void your warranty.

A 2hp 200T would be a very stifled restricted one, down here 200T's are rated as 1.7 - 1.8kw saws, that's around the 2.5hp range, the various cheaper home-owner type stuff like 192T's and others are 1.3 - 1.4 kw saws, you may not think a measurement of .1 of kw is much, but you can feel the difference instantly on a small TH saw, the power difference between a 1.3kw and a 1.7kw TH saw is huge

i had 5 husqvarna climbing saws all new all junk we are back to 200t and will never go back

That sucks man (Stihl isn't thinking so :)). I hope mine holds up better, fingers crossed, knock on my head. You are way more patient and forgiving than me, for sure.

That sucks man (Stihl isn't thinking so :)). I hope mine holds up better, fingers crossed, knock on my head. You are way more patient and forgiving than me, for sure.

i liked the way the saw felt in the tree but the oilers going ever week we got 5 saws 3 in the shop ever week after 2 years that's it 200 t is the way to go

the thing with the 200T is throttle response. It revs up as fast as you can pull the trigger. The lesser saws just don't do that. Build quality is another issue. I have ipls for all current top handles. 200T is the only split magnesium case saw. Every other saw is a clamshell or modified clamshell (like the 338xpt/jred2139T) that makes a difference in bottom end longevity since these saws run with a lot of bursts that hammer bearings more than a larger saw (not to mention the bearings are heavier on 200T as well). And lastly, you can take out the spark screen unit on a 200T with one screw and gain a whole bunch of chutzpah for free while keeping warranty fully intact. Muffler mods on most others void your warranty.

Thanks for the quality response.

So I'm thinking of a RedMax or Husky for "oocasional" use and if I have to loan a saw, versus a Stihl 200T for a real workhorse.
Like I have a Milwaukee Sawzall and a Harbor Freight knockoff. Use the original, loan the knockoff.

Welcome and great write up!! Looks like a decent saw, put it in the hands of a full time climber and it may show otherwise? Who knows. The brake disengagement would drive me nuts being hard to come off, I have a 200T and it comes off effortlessly, every time I let go of the saw up in the tree to hang off my side the brake goes on! So its on and off allot, and that would be a pain for sure. I'd really like to see how this little husky does in the long run.

Thanks for the quality response.

So I'm thinking of a RedMax or Husky for "oocasional" use and if I have to loan a saw, versus a Stihl 200T for a real workhorse.
Like I have a Milwaukee Sawzall and a Harbor Freight knockoff. Use the original, loan the knockoff.

yeah. In Canada we have a store called Princess Auto. Cheap chinese tools. Electric drills for $14.95 kinda thing. I would say do NOT lend out your saws though!

I wouldn't say the other top handles are really that bad but they are not nearly as good by a long shot. I would consider buying a Jred 2139 or a Dolmar 3410 myself. Old Echos with reed valves were incredibly reliable but low powered. The new ones tend to burn up I hear. 192T is homeowner saw no matter what Stihl says.

Yup I totally agree. Those 200T's are friggen amazing little saws!! I don't think anybody will ever build one the same, and then even if someone does, there are so many loyal 200T owners out there, they wont even give any others a shot! My friend is in the biz and he will never buy anything else, he's got 4 200T's for his small business. Heck I got 2! And I'm not even in the biz.

I wonder how much garbage is in the muffler itself impeding flow.

There's no reason for a cat in the muffler on your saw, since it is a strato. It's possible they could have the muffler stuffed with baffles to quiet it down. How quiet is it?

Last edited:
i liked the way the saw felt in the tree but the oilers going ever week we got 5 saws 3 in the shop ever week after 2 years that's it 200 t is the way to go

That's a crap record for sure. If this one gets acting up like that I think I'll get either the MS 200 T or the Dolmar, if I ever find that dealer... I think I'm only on the fourth tank of gas now though, so it's way too early to tell.

Welcome and great write up!!

Thank you. :). (I think I'm getting used to the brake, I just have to grab it further to the right than I'm used to. Probably part of the problem is that it is only attached on the right side. Duh! :laugh:.)

There's no reason for a cat in the muffler on your saw, since it is a strato. It's possible they could have the muffler stuffed with baffles to quiet it down. How quiet is it?

I have the Redmax version of this saw in stock (GZ3500T). These saws sound muffler modded out of the box. They also have good power but need to be warmed up a bit to get full power & acceleration.

Steve

LOL Thomas assuming they were XPT's, if you'd simply dug out the oil tank breather-inlet and blown the piece of debris jamming the little rubber duck-valve in there, takes all of 35 seconds(depending on model) then those huskys would've been cutting away merrily and not sitting in the shop for two years..

Tom your talking about troubles with the 335 or 338 which I hated as well... this saw is a REDMAX its oiler has been fine!!

Scott

Latest posts

Back