New climbing saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Tom or someone around here once said "When have you ever regretted buying the BEST?"
Get the Ford or Chevy, you will probably regret buying the Yugo.
Greg

I run a 12 in bar on my 020. Got some Oragon chain with these huge saftey bumps on it, sucks.

I've been thinking of having soem RS broke down to this size for a while, but chain lasts so long on my saw that I still got one new chain left. (would have 2, but I hit a nail last month)

Yup, they are an anti-kickback feature. I've just gotten into the habbit of calling them that so I don't have to explain what they are.

"you gotta knock down the safety bump with the racker, dude."

OK....Obviously I wasn't clear enough. No one I repeat NO ONE uses my tree saw but me. When I refer to limbing saws I am refering to 025 or 026 saws with 16" bars on them. I rarely use my tree saw on the ground for limbing. I like chainsaws (go figure) so I don't need a really big excuse to buy another one. I typically run a three man crew, four on large jobs and I have 9 saws. I typically cut the safety bumps down some on the other saws but the more I think about it I guess they aren't safety chains once I do that. My tree saw runs PMN chain and it doesn't have safety bumps. I have two hundred feet of 3/8 safety chain I guy I did a job for gave me. It's Stihl chain so I wouldn't want to waste it. For that reason among others I have been running it on my limbing (smaller) saws. I use 036 and 088 for the larger stuff. I like the light weight of the 036 and with mods and a 20" bar it will easily out cut a stock 044. I typically run a 36" bar on my 088 unless I want to show off.

Actually, I have 100 feet of 91VS that I got with my 372 from Madsen's over 1.5 yrs ago. ( The deal was 100 feet of chain cheap and 5 gallons of mix oil, plus power tuning all for some great price...)Still havent used it as my last 100 foot reel is just about done. Little chain sure lasts a long time! But I still want to trade it (plus I pay a bit more) back to them, in exchange for the stihl chain,which may be better chrome, and has longer cutters, so will last even longer...

But running that Stihl chain on my Husky 335XPT-W may make it mad.....:rolleyes:

down to earth,

The 019 is a heavy, outmoded, hard to work on, dog. Or so I hear anyhow...

Brian, that said, Stihl just upped the power specs on the 19--- it now may cut with a 3400, who knows, who cares, I wouldnt touch that thing if it was a gift.

We ran the VS when I was at Davey, and I like the Stihl PM better. I haven't run the Oregon in years, and have heard that Stihl is using less chrome in their chain than before, but I haven't done any comparison lately. The Stihl seems to last just as long as it ever has.

Rog, if you use Stihl chain on your 335, it will cut better! :p

And I honestly believe the specs on the Echo are conservative at best. I was blowing through 12" live oak today with my 3 yr old Echo no problem (running Stihl chain).

RB, Put Stihl chiain on your Husky and you may hear an Echo of your heartbeat from all the Poulan trying to start it . You'll probably go Homelite in the wallet if you still have to pay your Roper. Get a Remington and shoot it so you don't have to work Solo. Excuse me I've gotta go take a SuperWhiz.

chains

The Oregon chain is the better chain for thoses times when you are cutting trees that you know have nails, fence wire, lag bolts and other junk in them. Most trees around here have junk in them and the most teeth I have been able to knock off an Oregon chain in one shot was four in a row and continue cutting through the lag bolt. That is why you should have a collection of chains to go with your collection of saws. Each has it's own job to do. For those of of you that only cut clear wood I guess one saw with one back up chain will do.:D

Can't say that I can remember ever knocking a tooth off a Stihl chain. Did it once on Oregon chain. When I worked for a local city, they had the cheapest chain they could find and we usually knocked off 2-3 teeth the first day with a new chain. Then we would get a new chain when enough teeth broke off, typically before it was half filed back.

Brian, If you should happen to find someones lucky horse shoe in a tree while bucking it up I'll assure you you will loose a few teeth off of a stihl chain. :D
That horse shoe wasnt much luck to me though. :confused:

xander,

The 335 problems are mostly solved. A couple minor ones remain- the brake can quit working right after a while, it need to be dismantled and cleaned once or twice a year to keep it going- the spark plug covers are delicate, but can be taped on- starting still takes a few tugs when cold, and sometimes needs a bit of choke after being off for more than a couple minutes.

My latest one has been modified and works great every day, and is loaded with power. Did you read Greg's post re the Cali Special? It sounds very reliable, and peppy.

Just got another one today, new, on ebay for $280!! Dang, it is for a friend, a great price I got for him...

I got the solo 633 a couple weeks ago. Its broken in now and runs like a top! . Came with the micro lite bar on it. i switched that for a oregon 91. Now it cuts great! . Doesent seem to have any problems cutting. Even when the 14 inch bar is burried in oak.
i saw someone on here said once that the solos are lacking in power. I havent yet had this problem. Im wondering maybe if that person did not break the saw in or something and gave up on it before it got its power gains from the break in. Who knows. Im happy with it though for a 233 dollar saw, Also the 2 year camercial warenty is nice to have. ! . Im going to put it up against my friends echo 3400 some time and see witch one is faster, And witch one holds out in larger cuts better with out boging. i realize the solo is not the 335 or the ms 200. but it also costs alot less. ballence is very good on this saw too. unlike any saw ive used actually. we had the solo a 335xpt and a ms200 all together one day. and 3 of us picked up and held each one and all agreed the solo was the best ballanced. That is however opinions. and has to do with how someone likes a saw to be weighted. For me i like the weight over the handle And on this saw that is were it is. i would definatly recomend atleast checking it out when any of you guys are in the market for a new climbing saw.

Back