New echo 600

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always thought Echo made a good product for the money. Modded saws may up production for those who cut for a living and run a saw 6-8 hrs. a day but for those cutting in the wood pile to heat their homes the modded is valued more for curing erectile disfunction than anything else!!!

+ 1 You don't need a race saw for firewood....

This saw is pretty to look at, smooth, easy starting.

The tunning and jetting is slightly lean (does not 4-stroke) when running an oil ratio of 50:1, but you have to richen it at 34:1 (my break in ratio) in order not to stumble on transition to the "H" circuit.

It accelerates and rev's just as easily as the 6401 and 681

The 24" bar and chain are very efficient (not much power needed to cut well)

1/2-hr use so far

So whats the latest who has some videos or more pictures? Its a toss up between this one and a Makita 6401 for me.

No vids from me, but my personal experience with the 600P is that is one fine saw for the money, and you coould probably get one brand new in the original box on ebay for ~ $400 shipped to your door.

24" ,,,well to me,,is a bit much,,i personally would run an 18" bar,,i run a 20" on my 670 and it is balanced very well,, and i run a 16 on the 530

I need this saw to atleast be able to turn a 24" easy. My husky 55 i think is going to get a 20" i want something a little bigger when i fell some bigger oaks.

Heres a video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsJ8J_Wqzz4&feature=related

It looks to me like the chain is dull and the operator has no clue what he is doing. But the saw sure bogs alot.....

Last edited:
I need this saw to atleast be able to turn a 24" easy. My husky 55 i think is going to get a 20" i want something a little bigger when i fell some bigger oaks.

Heres a video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsJ8J_Wqzz4&feature=related

It looks to me like the chain is dull and the operator has no clue what he is doing. But the saw sure bogs alot.....

that guy is an idiot the way he is cutting that log,,,it almost sounds like it is running lean on the high side,,,it is bogging down a lot,,lot more then my 670

8-months later

Started for the first time since March, with only one pull, smooth idle right away!
I was in a rush to cleared downed trees from drive, ran fine with out dumping gas first (this is the only saw I had forgotten to store properly)

Not smart to do, but was only cutting 10" dia branches and small trees, thus very little load for this size of saw.

I use BP 93-octane, I do not know if this fuel has less of trouble causing ethanol in it, but I was happy with how smooth it ran on 8-month old gas.

that guy is an idiot the way he is cutting that log,,,it almost sounds like it is running lean on the high side,,,it is bogging down a lot,,lot more then my 670

Thats what i figured, I think im gonna go ahead and get one. On ebay they are going for $340! I just hope it will pull a 24" bar with authority.

"I need this saw to atleast be able to turn a 24" easy. My husky 55 i think is going to get a 20" i want something a little bigger when i fell some bigger oaks."

It takes closer to 75-80cc to effectively manage a 24" bar, IMHO. Sure, smaller saws will run them, but they are not efficient with them in big wood.

I have a 262XP, and a 268XP, both are strong runners, and much faster than an Echo CS-670. I don't feel either is well suited to a 24" bar. I use a 20" on the 268XP, and 18" on the 262XP, which they manage easily.

I've owned two new CS-670's, and have a rebuilt CS-6700, they are "weak" compared to the Husqvarna XP's, and pretty much maxxed out with a 20" bar on them.

No experience with the 600, but I would doubt it's well suited to bars much beyond 20", and probably ideal with an 18" 3/8" full chisel set-up......FWIW.....Cliff

I have the 20" on mine and the 24" on the 680. I don't do a ton of firewooding anyway, but so long as I don't feel I have anything to prove that setup is just fine.

My friends cs-600P he did this : take off the silver spark screen cover (actually 2 covers that face opposite ways, like a 288 style).

The muff is a 2 chamber -no Kat- with a nice large exit pipe, very much like a Husky 357 muffler.

Delete the spark screen (and it's rear facing cover) if you can, and install the one silver cover that faces forward, be sure to install all 4 chrome screws so gases cannot leak out a screw hole and damage the top plastic cover. He also has the optional 2nd outside dawg.

This is a sweet saw, I wish I had not seen my friends' saw now. :smoking:

That guy is a danger to himself,no chaps! doing stuff he shouldn't couldn't watch the rest in case he had a accident.:censored:

if i can sell my 530 with all the bars and chains and my 670 i would buy a 600p,,i just can't afford to go out and get one without selling these 2

craigslist echo 600p

There is a NIB one on the hartford ct craigslist now for $410.00

Back