New Guy Here, Howdy!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lairry

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello, As you may have guessed I'm new around here. Just found this site last night. I'm wishing I had found it last week. I purchased a 455 Rancher Husqvarna chainsaw and I am not happy with it. I am not new to chainsaws by any means as my father and I seem to cut a lot in the fall. I dropped a 30" log on my old 20" 036 Stihl and pretty much ended it (Stupidity:bang: ) and called my sister-in-law at the local Husky dealership and told her to bring there biggest baddest saw home from work that night so I could continue with my major grove removal. She brought me the 455 Rancher which IMO is not any better than my 2750 poulan. Honestly this saw is a pooch. It stalls out on 10" logs too easy. I don't have the patients for this saw. The other thing I don't like is the chain keeps comming off. No matter how tight It is when I end a cut sometimes the chain just flies off. I've ruined two chains this way and busted up the plastic inside the clutch cover. I don't think I would have traded my poulan for this thing. It doesn't seem to have much more power and weighs twice as much. I'm trying to get my money back but doubting it. I've used Husky saws before and thought they were great (372,61,346xp's) but this one is not impressing me. I should have known when I seen Rancher to send it back as I've used my father-in laws Stihl Farm Boss and my poulan FarmHand and know they are usually pretty small for the bar they come with. Anyone think they'll give me a refund. I've only had it a week!

Sorry to hear your dissatisfied with your purchase. I wouldn't let the 455 discourage you from husky as a whole. Even the real big husky guys on this site don't think too highly of the 455 rancher from what I've read. As far as returning the saw, I would think your dealer would probably let you return the saw as long as you were purchasing another saw from them. The 357 and 359 would better options as far as huskies go.

If the 455 was the biggest baddest saw they had, I would get my money back and go to a real dealer that has big and bad saws!!!!!!!!!

That's kinda what I was thinking. Don't get me wrong, this saw is probably not a bad homeowner saw, and I am just a homeowner, but I don't have average homeowner needs. I've been cutting trees in my back yard 4-12 hours a day for 3 weeks now. I've been at it every fall for 6 years now. Plus we're building a house back there first thing next summer so I need a saw that can get the job done. Prefferably before next spring.

By the way I checked and that is the biggest saw they stock. I wanted a Stihl and the Stihl dealers biggest saw was a MS390 I think? Talked to my brother in law who used to work for the saw shop in a nearby town and he convinced me Husky's were a more reliable saw. My 036 PRO was a good saw just not all that reliable, so I thought I'd take a chance. Still not convinced either way. Personally I think they both probably make good and bad saws. I don't know much about saws, the lingo, or any of that. Just know this 455 is dissapointing. I had no budget for the saw as I'd rather spend $700 for a saw I'm happy with than $400 for a saw I hate.

Anyone have a saw recommendation for my needs?

You can't compare a 036 Pro to a 455 Rancher. These saw are geared towards completely different markets. If you were happy with the performance of your 036 Pro, take a look at Stihl's MS361 or Husky's 357XP. If you can't spend the $600 that each of these two saws cost, take a look at the Husky 359, they cost between $425 and $500.

That's kinda what I was thinking. Don't get me wrong, this saw is probably not a bad homeowner saw, and I am just a homeowner, but I don't have average homeowner needs. I've been cutting trees in my back yard 4-12 hours a day for 3 weeks now. I've been at it every fall for 6 years now. Plus we're building a house back there first thing next summer so I need a saw that can get the job done. Prefferably before next spring.

By the way I checked and that is the biggest saw they stock. I wanted a Stihl and the Stihl dealers biggest saw was a MS390 I think? Talked to my brother in law who used to work for the saw shop in a nearby town and he convinced me Husky's were a more reliable saw. My 036 PRO was a good saw just not all that reliable, so I thought I'd take a chance. Still not convinced either way. Personally I think they both probably make good and bad saws. I don't know much about saws, the lingo, or any of that. Just know this 455 is dissapointing. I had no budget for the saw as I'd rather spend $700 for a saw I'm happy with than $400 for a saw I hate.

Anyone have a saw recommendation for my needs?

if you want small but kickass saw get 346xp (new edition), if you want a big saw then get 372xp, if you want biggest saw in neighborhood get 3120xp :greenchainsaw:

Talk to the Husky dealer and see about geting a 359 or 357, both good saws. Or see you're Stihl dealer abut a ms361.
I will tell you to pass on the ms390 if you are cutting that much.

I was thinking 372xp but they don't stock that one. The 346 I looked at was enticing, but I figured ( and am probably wrong) that it was better suited to a 16" bar beings the high rpm and small displacement. I need a 20-24" saw as I already have enough small saws. Just for the record, I didn't look at any of the Husky saws before my sister in law brought this one to me. If I had I wouldn't have bought one, at least from that store. They have 142,345,350, and 455's that's it. I should have done my homework before buying. It was my first brand new saw. It already looks like the oldest saw in my collection.
By the way, how is it that the 346 has 3.4 hp and only 45cc and the 455 with 55.5cc is the same hp. And x-torque? that saw stops so easy I don't think it has torque. It does however seem pretty fuel efficient.

I was thinking 372xp but they don't stock that one.
See if he can order one for you. Also see if he can find a 365. The 365 is the 372's little brother. They don't have the power of the 372. Most guys that have run both say you won't notice the 372's power until you get into 18" or so hardwoods. 365's are in the low to mid $500 range. Just something to think about.

See if he can order one for you. Also see if he can find a 365. The 365 is the 372's little brother. They don't have the power of the 372. Most guys that have run both say you won't notice the 372's power until you get into 18" or so hardwoods. 365's are in the low to mid $500 range. Just something to think about.

Ok most of the trees I'm cutting are cottonwoods, poppler, green ash, maple, and walnut. While most are cottonwoods and maples, they are almost all 18" or larger. By the way we're cutting them all for firewood too, hence time it's taking me. Alot of the ash trees are in the 30-40" range and seem to cut like steel. I even see sparks sometimes. I don't know hardwood from softwood but I know those ash trees suck to cut and the cottonwoods aren't the greatest. Is that 365 still enough?

Ok most of the trees I'm cutting are cottonwoods, poppler, green ash, maple, and walnut. While most are cottonwoods and maples, they are almost all 18" or larger. By the way we're cutting them all for firewood too, hence time it's taking me. Alot of the ash trees are in the 30-40" range and seem to cut like steel. I even see sparks sometimes. I don't know hardwood from softwood but I know those ash trees suck to cut and the cottonwoods aren't the greatest. Is that 365 still enough?

if thats the case you might want to even look at 385, incase there are plenty of +30" trees, allthou 372xp will do just takes bit more time...

You're getting into some big stuff there. I would look at the 372XP/Jonsered 2171, the 385XP/2186 Jonsered, or if you want a Stihl maybe a 460 or 650/660. Check them out for yourself and handle them. I prefer the Jonsered to the others, but to each their own.

You're getting into some big stuff there. I would look at the 372XP/Jonsered 2171, the 385XP/2186 Jonsered, or if you want a Stihl maybe a 460 or 650/660. Check them out for yourself and handle them. I prefer the Jonsered to the others, but to each their own.

its just matter of handle angle betweem jonsie/husq...

Thanks for all your input guys. Does anyone know anything about the jonsered 625 II or the 670. A friend of mine has those two saws that he don't use anymore and he thinks they'll do what I need them to do. If they're good what should I pay.

Latest posts

Back