New guy looking at new saws....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chilly460

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all, new guy here. I'm a homeowner, don't burn firewood, but I've become the "go to" guy for neighborhood and family woodcutting. I enjoy it, so it's not a problem. I'm currently using a Husky 350 and have found it a bit overmatched. Last fall I had a ~20" red oak taken down along with an 18" poplar and the saw struggled a bit, recently I've been helping with windblown trees from Irene and seeing more trees in the 20" range...also cut up a 32" pine.

I like to buy higher quality stuff, just found over time that the cheaper tools are a headache. I know my use doesn't really warrant a pro saw, but I'd like to have one for reliability and durability. I'm guessing something in a 60cc range would be sufficient, but wanted to get opinions. Thinking MS362 or Dolmar 6401. Use is as stated, felling and bucking trees from 4-24", and occasionally a bit bigger. I don't need a hotrod saw, I just want something reliable with enough oomph to run a 20" bar but maybe occasionally swap out to a 24" in hardwood.

So, with these requirements, am I on the right track with a 60cc?

Hello all, new guy here. I'm a homeowner, don't burn firewood, but I've become the "go to" guy for neighborhood and family woodcutting. I enjoy it, so it's not a problem. I'm currently using a Husky 350 and have found it a bit overmatched. Last fall I had a ~20" red oak taken down along with an 18" poplar and the saw struggled a bit, recently I've been helping with windblown trees from Irene and seeing more trees in the 20" range...also cut up a 32" pine.

I like to buy higher quality stuff, just found over time that the cheaper tools are a headache. I know my use doesn't really warrant a pro saw, but I'd like to have one for reliability and durability. I'm guessing something in a 60cc range would be sufficient, but wanted to get opinions. Thinking MS362 or Dolmar 6401. Use is as stated, felling and bucking trees from 4-24", and occasionally a bit bigger. I don't need a hotrod saw, I just want something reliable with enough oomph to run a 20" bar but maybe occasionally swap out to a 24" in hardwood.

So, with these requirements, am I on the right track with a 60cc?
Yes... Welcome! I'm relatively new myself. I have a 6401 converted to 79cc. They are very versatile. Don't have a 362, wish I did! Also consider the Efco's. Five year warranty and excellent runners and tough. Good luck!!

put a 16" bar on the 350 for small stuff, buy a 372 with 24" bar for everything else.

I second what Evan said, but if you cant find one take a look at the MS441. I recently upgraded about 2 years ago to one and I love it. It has plenty of power for a 28" bar and it really rips with a 20". Also it sips fuel, uses way less than the MS390 it replaced. Hope this helps

Thanks all for the replies. As it turned out, I bought an MS362, main reason being that the only Husqvarna dealer in the area is 45min from the house, the Stihl dealer is 5min away. In a bit of an impulse buy, and new CAD developing, I also picked up a 394xp with 28" bar off Ebay for what I think was a good price. WAY more saw then I need obviously, but I've already used it to stump a couple Irene windfalls. I'm taking it slow with the 394 because it's more saw then my level of experience probably should be handling. The 362 has about two tanks through it doing some cleanup work, mostly 15" poplar/oak/pine which is a piece of cake for this saw. That's right about where it shines over the 350 as well, considerably faster bucking. I have a couple little jobs lined up to buck larger windfall, can't wait to see how the new saws do in larger wood.

Yeah, couple ridiculously late nights at work, and an itchy trigger finger on an Ebay auction...now I have a 7hp saw for a bunch of 20" blowdowns, and I don't even burn wood. Oh well, every once in a while it will come in handy!

Thanks all for the replies. As it turned out, I bought an MS362, main reason being that the only Husqvarna dealer in the area is 45min from the house, the Stihl dealer is 5min away.

Where in Richmond are you to be 45 minutes from a Husky dealer???? I bet I could name 6-8 dealers within a 25 mile radius of Richmond and those would not include any of the TSC stores.

Last edited:
I'm in Chesterfield. Looked at the Husky Dealer finder, I was familiar with Hertzler's in Powhatan because they're a Simplicity dealer that I'd used, but that's 45min. Other shops were rental places, which I didn't bother with. Closest place was Carters in Chester that didn't have a model available for me to handle. Other places were on the North side of town or Cumberland, as I recall. Didn't mean there was only one dealer in Richmond, just specific to me in Cfield. If you know a good Husky dealer I'd appreciate it, as both of mine need parts and I'd like to go local versus internet when possible for parts.

Last edited:
Chilly460, welcome!, and I like that man you just went out , and did it nice! Some people just can't shiat! or get off the toilet. No wasted time you grabbed not onebut two, and like said you are in good hand's now!:clap:

I'm a homeowner, don't burn firewood, but I've become the "go to" guy for neighborhood and family woodcutting. I enjoy it, so it's not a problem. I'm currently using a Husky 350 and have found it a bit overmatched. Last fall I had a ~20" red oak taken down along with an 18" poplar and the saw struggled a bit, recently I've been helping with windblown trees from Irene and seeing more trees in the 20" range...also cut up a 32" pine.

I like to buy higher quality stuff, just found over time that the cheaper tools are a headache. I know my use doesn't really warrant a pro saw, but I'd like to have one for reliability and durability. I'm guessing something in a 60cc range would be

Now that you have the bases covered in the chainsaw department I think you should start burning wood!

Now that you have the bases covered in the chainsaw department I think you should start burning wood!

No kidding! Thats alot of money to be spending on saws and not have any return on your investiment....

Are you charging to cut up the wood??? Selling it??

I work for beer, basically, most people are family, friends, or neighbors so I don't charge them. I am knocking on doors locally to get a couple quick/easy jobs bucking up windblown trees to offset cost, I will look into selling as firewood as possible but that opens a whole new set of issues in hauling and storing the wood. I "needed" a bigger saw anyway to help with my own maintenance, so I can justify the MS362. Granted, I didn't need a "pro" saw for what I do, but I can handle the difference in cost because I like to buy "legacy" tools I can own for a lifetime. The 394xp, I blame on AS. That one, I'll try to at least make enough $$ to pay for the purchase price.

I work for beer, basically, most people are family, friends, or neighbors so I don't charge them. I am knocking on doors locally to get a couple quick/easy jobs bucking up windblown trees to offset cost, I will look into selling as firewood as possible but that opens a whole new set of issues in hauling and storing the wood. I "needed" a bigger saw anyway to help with my own maintenance, so I can justify the MS362. Granted, I didn't need a "pro" saw for what I do, but I can handle the difference in cost because I like to buy "legacy" tools I can own for a lifetime. The 394xp, I blame on AS. That one, I'll try to at least make enough $$ to pay for the purchase price.
You have CAD my friend. Welcome to the real world of saws.
Hail CAD my friend:rock:

I'm in Chesterfield. Looked at the Husky Dealer finder, I was familiar with Hertzler's in Powhatan because they're a Simplicity dealer that I'd used, but that's 45min. Other shops were rental places, which I didn't bother with. Closest place was Carters in Chester that didn't have a model available for me to handle. Other places were on the North side of town or Cumberland, as I recall. Didn't mean there was only one dealer in Richmond, just specific to me in Cfield. If you know a good Husky dealer I'd appreciate it, as both of mine need parts and I'd like to go local versus internet when possible for parts.

When I was looking for a Husky saw about a year and a half ago, Power Products on West Broad was a dealer. I just checked the Husky website and see they are not listed as a dealer. While it is a pretty good ride, Earl Carter at Taylor Forbes in Farmville has a pretty good inventory of saws. Of course you will drive right by the dealer in Powhatan to get there!:D

Cavalier International is the master dealer in the area and where all the warranty work from TSC is done.

Back