New Huskee 22 ton splitter .....junk compared to the old ones?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly im tired of playing with junk I have owned the huskee's - troybuilt - speedco all have honestly been cheaply built junk. What is a good brand of splitter? One that's not going to cause me headaches and lost time? I feel you get what you pay for and for $1000 your not getting much I think its more of a homeowner splitter for the guy that does maybe 4 cord a year over a few month period. I can outsplit this thing by far with an old mull.

Regarding the hard starting in the cold, once the engine catches be ready to hit the primer bulb to help keep it running. It usually takes a few presses on mine.

Also, mine likes up to ten presses of the primer before pulling the rope. Finally, bring the engine to TDC before the "starting pull".

I will have help tomorrow morning so I will be able to try that .....I tried doing it myself a while back but idk if im too slow getting to it but it still dies. I had a customer today tell me his buddy had the same problems with all the splitters I did he told me go to northern tool.

It seems like mine (Huskee 22 ton) starts easier if I have someone hold the lever in the forward position.

I've had no trouble with mine at all and it has split everything reasonable I've thrown at it.
I'm inclined to believe your pump cut out pressure isn't set right.

Mike

We have a speeco 22ton that is a couple of yrs old.
For running in cold weather we switch to synthetic oil and atf in the hyd tank.
Always put isopropyl alcohol in the gas.

I don't have much love for the cheap vert shaft motors those cone with. I have a 28 ton Oregon with a 9.5 Kohler and its a dream to start.

Unless there is some issue with cooling the engine at low rpm, (which aint likely) what other reason would you need to run at full throttle. Engines create less heat at lower rpms than at full throttle so I dont see the point. As for the hydraulics, the pump is rated at a max flow for a given rpm, and some pumps need to run a minimum specific speed in order to pump properly, But as long as you are turning enough rpms to meet the minimum requirement, the amount of flow is all you are really affecting. Pump rated at 10gpm at 3000rpms will still pump 5gpm at 1500rpms. Pressure is a little different matter, it takes 1.5hp to pump 1gpm , at 1500psi. Running the engine at low rpms will effect the amount of hp being generated. Low rpms could cause stalling simply because it isnt making enough power to pull the pump. This doesnt mean the pump wont build pressure and flow at lower rpms, just that flow will be reduced, pressure should remain contant, it will just take longer for it to build, and if the pressure builds to or above the hp being supplied, then you can expect stalling and bogging of the engine.

The Op's splitter is sticking and stalling the engine on the return stoke, I suspect the detent relief isnot properly set. There should be a relief at the handle to adjust the return detent. Back off the relief a little bit and see if this doesnt help with the sticking and stalling. You just want enought pressure on the return to get the cyl fully retracted and as soon as the hydraulic starts to build pressure, it will kick the detent and stop the cylinder. Yours is building to much pressure before the detent kicks out and this is whats stalling the engine. It is also possible that the relief for the push stoke is not set properly as well if the machine ram wont push the wedge thru the wood. If engine is only stalling on the return stroke and not the splitting stoke, I'll just about bet that adjusting the reliefs will fix his problems. Try adjusting the other relief for the push stroke in a little bit and see if this fixes the splitting power. If you have a pressure gage you can put in hydraulic lines it would make troubleshooting a lot easier. It is possible that yo have a problem with the control valve that would requiretaking it back to the dealer for warranty, the relief adjustments are more probable and easy enough for you to do and wont take more than 5 or 10 minutes to try.

I also suspect the reason for the hard starting now could be a fouled plug. If you have split 30cord of wood and more than an occasional stalling of the engine, I would check the plug and probably install a new one.

Last edited:
I have same splitter and started hard also. Replaced spark plug with NGK and changed oil to 5W30 synthetic. Starts better now. Also had problem with auto return valve took in for warranty and they replaced at no cost. I have had no problems since and splits anything you put on it. I split about 10 cord per year.

I will have help tomorrow morning so I will be able to try that .....I tried doing it myself a while back but idk if im too slow getting to it but it still dies. I had a customer today tell me his buddy had the same problems with all the splitters I did he told me go to northern tool.
Pictures please.................

Regarding the hard starting in the cold, once the engine catches be ready to hit the primer bulb to help keep it running. It usually takes a few presses on mine.

Also, mine likes up to ten presses of the primer before pulling the rope. Finally, bring the engine to TDC before the "starting pull".
THANKS SO MUCH! I prime it have someone pull it and then prime the **** out of it and it runs! still low on splitting power......It ran 11 hours straight today.
Pictures please.................

I know you have been on me about pictures on several posts but I work non stop with no time for pictures now. I have 2 guys running orders in a 3500 and 5500 ram dumps all day people coming in for pickup in shortbed long bed and dump trailers.... today had a guy in a car lol I just added another 440 and 044 to my lineup a I am now running a 200t 026 036 361 (gets most of the use 044 and 440 I sold my 36pro 046 460 362 .

Any suggestions on another splitter would be greatly appreciated as I wouldn't mind having a handful running at a time

Your engine hp rating is at full throttle. Your pump is picked to match that hp. Your putting a lot of extra stress on the engine by running it at a lower rpm.

Not to mention, your pump is rated at a certain gpm at a certain rpm. So your splitter is going to take a heck of a lot longer.
I completely agree with u and will add that most hydraulic pumps are designed to run with the engine running at wot. Expect a short service life of the machine. My dads 07 case 430 skidder manual even says to run wot as much as possible.

My Huskee has the same starting problem. I prime it 3 or 4 times, pull the starting cord then pump the primer bulb until it stays running. Usually 10 or so times. When it is running, I have to let it idle for a minute or two before I try to split anything or it will stall. Once it is good and warmed up, I haven't found a log it wouldn't split. I use synthetic oil already. I'll try a new plug and see if that works.

The detent on the Huskee control valve is not user adjustable.

Not user adjustable or only adjustable by the dealer? Reliefs do wear out and at some time will need adjusting, it doesnt make sense to me to use a control valve that you cant adjust pressure settings on. A clear case of a penny saved by the Manufacturer and dollar lost by the consumer.

Just picked up a new 22ton and on the first log the auto return didn't work it sticks and stalls the motor out. This thing wont even split large cherry let alone medium elm. I have had 3 about 4 years ago when I was big into firewood and the only problems I had were lines coming off. The old ones split everything I threw at them. I have owned a few different splitters and I swear my old old 22 ton ran the best and split the best (2004 model?). Are these things junk anymore?
All box store splitters are junk! Google Timberwolf.

All box store splitters are junk! Google Timberwolf.
HMMMMM: My 35 ton horiz./vert. that TSC sold me 4 years ago and splits 12 to 14 standard cords a year is N/G.And the 20 ton Central Tractor sold me 13 years ago( still going strong,can't even guess how many cords have slid across that beam)is junk.Some junk is all I can say.All junk should work that hard and last that long!

Many many users reviews claim they got 20 years out of a husky speeco
Splitter some have split hundreds of cords with theirs for a grand I wouldn't consider that to be junk . Sure their are ones with faster cycles times bigger rams more of this more of that ( they cost three-four times more too) but dollar for dollar *for a homeowner use I t won't compare to a speeco . a product with hundreds of five star reviews doesn't happen by accident.

Latest posts

Back