New Member and New Saw Owner...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnthemBassMan

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
Just got my new saw today, an Echo CS-370. Pretty much my only use for a saw is to do some limbing, cutting out shrubs, or cutting up a bit of firewood for my fire pit. I figured this saw would serve me better than the cheap "throw away" saws. If I would need a larger saw, my buddy has a Stihl MS461 with a 25" bar and I believe a 30" or 32" to go with it. :D

I also grabbed a bottle of Amsoil Saber 2 stroke oil to use to break it in. I'm definitely mixing it the normal 50:1 until well after it has some hours on it. As much as I like to tinker with things, I'll go through the typical break in period before gutting the cat from the muffler and tweaking the carb screws. Unfortunately for me, I won't even get a chance to fire it up for a couple days or so. And the price on this saw? How's free sound? Got my 20th anniversary award from work and the CS-370 was in the catalog. All I could say was, "MINE!"

L8R,
Matt

Hey all,
Just got my new saw today, an Echo CS-370. Pretty much my only use for a saw is to do some limbing, cutting out shrubs, or cutting up a bit of firewood for my fire pit. I figured this saw would serve me better than the cheap "throw away" saws. If I would need a larger saw, my buddy has a Stihl MS461 with a 25" bar and I believe a 30" or 32" to go with it. :D

I also grabbed a bottle of Amsoil Saber 2 stroke oil to use to break it in. I'm definitely mixing it the normal 50:1 until well after it has some hours on it. As much as I like to tinker with things, I'll go through the typical break in period before gutting the cat from the muffler and tweaking the carb screws. Unfortunately for me, I won't even get a chance to fire it up for a couple days or so. And the price on this saw? How's free sound? Got my 20th anniversary award from work and the CS-370 was in the catalog. All I could say was, "MINE!"

L8R,
Matt
There is a "You Suck!" Thread I believe your post may belong in. We who have to pay for our saws extend a hearty hello, and happy Arbor Day.

Thanks for the welcome, guys! I have to wait until tonight to get the bar and chain mounted on it. Working two jobs a few days a weekcuts my evenings a bit short. Home from job #2 around 6:45pm and back up at 3:10am for my main job. I was surprised that there wasn't a small bottle of bar & chain oil in the box, just a small bottle of Echo syn-blend 2-stroke oil. No worries though. I'll just grab a jug at Ace Hardware and a small grease gun for the sprocket. Looking forward to chewing through some firewood, but it's been doing nothing but rain here in Ohio...

L8R,
Matt

You'll learn a lot from these guys. My first day on this site I learned that if you start the saw I cuts much better than just dragging the chain back and forth across the log. My arms were getting really tired and sore.

Now THAT is funny!!:laugh: But I heard it really helps if you make the engine sounds while doing that!

L8R,
Matt

don't go past 50:1, even tho some [oils] say ya can. I'm on heavy side of 40. plugs n oil are cheaper than jugs n pistons. g'luck and welcome. nice price on yer saw.

Yeah, I was thinking maybe the first couple tanks running it 40:1. I know Saber has been proven to 80:1 or 100:1, but maybe I'll just lean the mixture out to 50:1 after the break in period. I'm definitely all about taking care of my gear.

L8R,
Matt

I run 40:1 mainly because I can keep the same can for all the saws but also for the extra protection. They don't run any different. I ran 50:1 for a while and ethanol gas in all the saws and had no problems either. Now it's good oil with a bit more oil and non ethanol gas. Rebuild a few and you will want the extra protection.

Yeah, I was thinking maybe the first couple tanks running it 40:1. I know Saber has been proven to 80:1 or 100:1, but maybe I'll just lean the mixture out to 50:1 after the break in period. I'm definitely all about taking care of my gear.

L8R,
Matt
Amsoil has proven time and time again they they will not stand behind their product when someone has an engine failure due to lack of lubrication at those lean ratios they claim are suitable. Because of this they are not even considered when I buy oil. I'd really like to support a local company but I'm not about to support someone who won't support their customers.

Amsoil has proven time and time again they they will not stand behind their product when someone has an engine failure due to lack of lubrication at those lean ratios they claim are suitable so to me they are not even considered even though I'd really like to support a local company.[/QUOT

Dang, didn't know they were owned by Echo. :)

I use echo blend oil. 100:1 what's the point? Why skimp on the oil? Do you run your truck 2 quarts low to save money hell no. Whats wrong with 40:1?

Not so much the cost but the advertising hype that even at a 100:1 ratio you get superior protection, however when those claims appear to be not warranted the company throws the fault to the users lap. The user thought he was using a superior product and is left holding the bag (of parts).

Back