New Member, New Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maybe or there is an excess being sprayed on the housing during use. Any thoughts on this from the experts here?

I'm no expert (an understatement worthy of the Japanese government), but I do know that oil builds up under the clutch cover & inner bar plate on my 2171 and will drip for a while after it's shut off.

Figured it was a good place to start since I haven't had the time to use it yet (this is killing me by the way to not use it, but I promised the wife I'd finish a few odds and ends around the house before I did any cutting). Dealer told me the saw will leak oil when off if I leave oil in the tank, so I thought I'd test that supposition.

Pulled the clutch cover off last ngiht and the whole inside of it as well as the underside of the saw was wet and oily. I do expect oil to be there...its new, clean paint and there isn't any sawdust to help absorb any of it. I am wondering if the oiler is simply set too high or if the guy who decided its broekn is a newbie tech and doesn't know anything about chainsaws. Thought for a few moments that it might be the worng bar and the oiler hole is too small, but its the right part number and is listed for the 359.

Could be much ado about nothing...gonna have to fire it up and bury the bar in some wood.

Any break in tips or just run it hard and hot and revel in the increased power as the rings seat themselves?

since no warranty to void you can do as you like but i'd follow the husky recommendations about break-in. don't run it hard yet unless you want early onset of lasting wear. may also consider a slightly higher oil/fuel ratio for a couple of tanks.

I keep 40:1 in the mix can for my 2 stroke stuff, both my old Craftsman saw and my McCulloch weed eater take 40:1. Husky says 50:1 for the 359 E-Tech, but I see alot of people running more oil in their mix than that...not sure if thats ok long term with the CAT in place or if its irrelevant to the CAT at all. Not planning on a MM at this time as out of the box this will be a significant jump in saw for me and I want to get the break in done right without changing anything.

Also, how do I decode the serial number for the build date? Wondering if this is really a new saw or if its sat for a few years before it found me?

old Craftsman

...and good job keeping that craftsman going that long. I love my $189 Craftsman 42cc. It isn't that old, but I plan on keeping it in my arsenal for that long. I'm going to but a 14 inch blade on mine and look into tweeking it a bit to get a little extra power out of it. After taking the advise from the good folks in this forum I've decided on a 346 xp.

Hey good deal,if it don't oil bad deal gotta have oil.I suggest get a saw case put it in there,no leaks on floor etc.My Poulan leaked alot for the first year before I got her broke in nice and easy.

View attachment 180010Oiler definitely works. Finally got the chance to get the thing out and play with it last night. Ran about a quarter tank if gas, made a few cuts in some hard maple and red oak. 15" diameter stuff...nothing too big. Sliced it up very nicely, felt great to use. Major step up for me.

Did the oil flow test as outlined in the manual, the oiler was set on position #3 from the dealer which the manual says is for 18-20" bars (I have a 20 on it with the basic factory chain...I think its a 3/8 - .058 basic safety chain). Got me thinking that since the saw is spec'd up to a 24" bar that the oiler is probably calibrated to do enough flow for a bar that long. Ran the tip at high revs near a clean stump and on #3 it blew out alot of oil, moved it down to #2 and it still left a nice streak of oil on the stump.

When I was done I placed the saw on a sheet of cardboard so I could see how much oil it left...see attached photo. The biggest spot on there is about 2" across the log dimension, so not much and thats overnight. Looking underneath its just some oil gathering under the clutch cover and settling. My guess is the saw is mechanically fine and there really aren't any issues. I have a case of disposable oil absorbent towels that I'll use to store the saw with...might get the Husky cordura bag with the hard shelf and just line the bottom and be done.

Any thoughts? Am I wrong to use oiler setting #2? How much oil should come out of there when I do the test?

Last question. Just filled my mix can wiht fresh 93 octane. Have to add the mix oil, manual says 50:1, should I just always use 50:1 or should I move to 40:1 for break in, permanently or whatever? I have left the stock CAT muffler in place and plan on doing so for at least the initial 8-10 tanks of fuel for break in. Might MM it later, but its such a big step up in power for me compared to the old tired saw that I don't feel the need now.

Thanks.

Nothing wrong with that saw. If you run a saw a bit out of the wood, it'll sling oil all inside the clutch cover, then drip out over time. Also temp changes cause pressure in the oil tank and this can push oil out over time..

Run it set on #2 for awhile and see how it does. I like for the oil tank to be also empty when I run out of gas mix. If you have a lot of oil left at this point, just turn it up to #3.

40:1 / 50:1 doesn't really matter. I mix somewhere in-between, but closer to 50:1.

Enjoy that new saw. You got a good one at a great price!!!

Back