new member, new Solo 636 Magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let the bashing begin, I know, buy a real saw. Go ahead, I'm new. I have thick skin...Really.

Seriously, anybody know anything about this saw. Everything in Solo's line has a numbering system that seems to reflect displacement. This one however is marked as so on the box:

Professional Quality
44cc 3.5HP
Pleated Felt Filter
Decompression Valve
Forged Crankshaft
etc.

The Saw is labeled 45cc and conforms to 1995 emissions (not EPA). YELLOW The box is marked 2001. It has a 16" Oregon bar. The instructions are a poor quality inkjet and give no specs on the saw. There is a parts list in the back. It lists parts for the 639/645/651/652.

If anyone can tell me anything about this saw, I sure would appreciate it.

I have been lurking around the site for a few days. I've read TONS of great information. Thanks to all contributing members in advance.

That specs add up with the 644 (Pro), which "should" be all red.

Where is the saw marked "Magnum", and does it say 336 Magnum on the box?

solo

Hi there, not sure on 636, but I have 2 older 647's.
325-3/8 b&c. Gone through both completely, even though they
didn't need it. Simple, well engineered saws. Mcflea has a good
example of SOLO saw on his site. 100cc "stihl killer".

Solo has a good rep. They did some colaboration with Dolmar on their larger saws. Their distribution is in Newport News Virginia. I have aquired parts in the past from them for my 667, no problem.

Solo 645

Streblerm , three years ago Bailey's sold the same saw as yours but was called a B45 . It's a 45cc saw , same as the Solo 645 . Mine is the same gold and black and it's a good saw . I've had no problems with mine and the price was $209.95 on sale . If you contact SouthernLA he might be able to tell you more but mine is 3 hp and has a 42mm bore , pleated filter , and decompression valve . You made a good deal .

That specs add up with the 644 (Pro), which "should" be all red.

Where is the saw marked "Magnum", and does it say 336 Magnum on the box?

Well, the saw is just marked 636 with a sticker on the air filter cover. The only other mark is the emissions sticker that reads 45cc etc. Only the box is marked "Magnum"

shoes004.jpg

shoes001.jpg

shoes003.jpg

This saw was brand new at my local hardware store. They sell Husky, Tanaka, Troybuilt, Solo, and Poulan. It was positioned as king of the cheap saws at $229.00. It rang up at $199, oddly enough cheaper than the Troybuilt. My price cap for this purchase was $220 and I left the store with a gallon of bar oil for just that and some change after tax.

I had to wash my jacket after carrying the thing home it had so much dust on the box:)

I guess my next step will be to call Solo and see if they can tell me what this mongrel is. I'd like to order a few air filters and maybe some fuel and oil caps. I'm just not sure which model to order parts for.

The "operators manual" has ZERO model specific info except for a short parts list for the 639/645 and 651/662 series saws, all of which have different parts.

Nothing on the Solo USA or Germany website lists parts parts for this exact saw. I wouldn't mind having an "owners" manual in addition to the "operators" manual.

After a couple of failed attempts to contact Solo by phone, I e-mailed them. The receptionist proudly explained that they have twelve phone lines! I didn't want to burst her bubble by explaining that it doesn't matter how many phone lines you have, if there arent enough people to answer them. But I digress.

I found out this saw is based on their 636/645/650/Deko semi-pro platform. Parts availability shouldn't be a problem. I'd still be curious to find out what conglomeration of parts this thing is exactly, how old it is, and how did they arrive at the HP ratings? Maybe sometime when I have more than half an hour to spend on the phone I'll try to find out.

Now to my unscientific evaluation. It started very easily. primer bulb, choke, one pull and it fired. I pushed the choke in and it immediately ran on the second pull and fast idled till I gave some throttle. I haven't used an MS250, which was one of the other saws I was considering. If it runs anything like my dad's 025, I would say the Solo has a slight advantage. I bucked some cherry, apple, and small locust and this thing cut like a knife through hot butter, even with the safety chain.

Bottom line, I'm happy with my purchase. Hopefully this saw will give me years of service.

Back