New ms 362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnwoodie

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys, i am a newbie; about to pull the trigger on a new ms 362; believed the 441 a bit too much for my needs. Any advice on the breaking in period and with a 20'' bar and chain what would be the best bar and chain to purchase? I hope this is a good choice. Thanks, bob

Since nobody has checked in yet I'll pipe in for what it's worth.

The saw you have chosen has been written up on this site as a winner. I've hardly any experience with Stihl, so I'm just going with what I've read.

Keeping in mind, that I'm just a guy who cuts firewood from time to time, I've had good luck with the Oregon Power Match bars. Any 20" bar you put on the saw would not be too heavy as to cause a balance problem. I've run Oregon Pro Lite bars on some of my smaller saws but for your saw, even though it costs a little more, I'd go with the Power Match if I were to purchase an Oregon bar.

Most of the chain I run is either Oregon or Bailys Woodland Pro. It is said that neither of these chains are as hard as a Stihl chain, so you may have to sharpen more often. Oregon and Woodland Pro are easy to sharpen.

You'll probably get a good answer before my dial-up will respond, but just put that saw to work. Don't rev and hold full throttle until you're cutting wood. A few tanks of gas, and she should be broke in.

You shouldn't have any problems with the 20" bar and chain set-up. It has plenty of reach, and is comfortable to handle.

Stay with STIHL bars and chain. They are hard to beat.
A RMC or RSC chain is what I prefer. No problems with the safety chain however, I just don't use them.

Last edited:
Is the wood that you are going cut going to be dirty? If so you want to get semi chisel chain if not full chisel. I recommend the Stihl bar and chain as well. A 20" bar would be perfect for that saw.

A few tanks of gas, and she should be broke in.

My experience was quite the opposite. It took closer to a dozen tanks for mine to wake up and stop gaining power.

20" bar will be perfect, get a Stihl ES and never look back. My MS362 currently has a 20" GB Titanium that is showing signs of wear much quicker than I have experienced with the Stihl ES bars.

Running Stihl ES bar and Stihl 33RSC chain on mine. Have been very happy with this combo.

I can't believe nobody has said get the 441 C-M, loads more power and only a little more weight. From what I have read about the 362, it's not the saw the 361 was.

I would stick with the Stihl ES bar aswell unless you are buying the saw power head only. I have ran a 362 they are good saws. Still love my 036 pro first saw i ever bought.

The 362 is a great saw, I ran one all summer cutting firewood. I used a 25" Stihl ES bar most of the time but switched to a 20" ES bar with Stihl RSF just at the tail end of the season. For chain, just stick with the Stihl RSC3, it cuts good, stays sharp for a good long time. The saw definitely was happier running the 20 and it was easier to tote around the hills. Keep the rpms low when you are out of the wood for the first 10 tanks of fuel or so, no WOT. Expect to see some sparks occaisionally from the bar and chain during the break in period.

The 362 is very solid..
I have the RSC Chain on a 20" Standard Stihl Bar, have cut several cords of hard and soft maple, good set up..
I will be adding a 441C-M with a 25" ES Bar to my inventory soon..
Cheers..

The 362 is a really good saw. Breaking in a new saw is unnessesary IMO. Run it like you're going to run it from the first tank. I've never ran a saw easy to break it in. Theres just no need. I don't think it's a coincidence that all of my saws are faster than most others like them. I think running them hard from the start does this.

It takes at least 25 tanks of fuel for the 362 to really start to come to life. A mufffler mod will make them a totally different animal too. A buddy of mine has one that been ran alot and the muffler is modded. It would run right on the heels of a 70cc saw. I like them better than the 361 after running his thats well broken in.

I would also recommend the 441 over the 362, you get so much more for the money plus the ability to run a longer bar with authority if you need to.

441and770001.jpg

Hey guys, i am a newbie; about to pull the trigger on a new ms 362; believed the 441 a bit too much for my needs. Any advice on the breaking in period and with a 20'' bar and chain what would be the best bar and chain to purchase? I hope this is a good choice. Thanks, bob

I have found the 362 to be a great saw, actually it's a lot of saw for only being 60cc. Mine balances great with a 20" ES bar part# 3003 000 8822 and rips s#!t up with 33 RSC 72. You'll love it. Further more when you do find an excuse to upgrade (we all do someday) the 460 is a much better saw same weight and bulk as the 441 but in a class all its own the 441 doesn't even come close

I have found the 362 to be a great saw, actually it's a lot of saw for only being 60cc. Mine balances great with a 20" ES bar part# 3003 000 8822 and rips s#!t up with 33 RSC 72. You'll love it. Further more when you do find an excuse to upgrade (we all do someday) the 460 is a much better saw same weight and bulk as the 441 but in a class all its own the 441 doesn't even come close

The 441 is pretty close to the 460, closer than the 362 or the 261 and even the 660, but you couldn't go wrong with either the 441 or the 460 and for not much more money.

If you don't get into wood beyond a 20" bar most of the time the 362 is fine.

But if you will be into larger wood every now and then the 441CM-tronic is a hard saw to beat and that 70cc class is a great one saw plan. And sets you up later for a nice 50cc saw for a perfect two saw plan. Which more than likely will happen....

Back