New Poulans are kewl!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngelofDarkness

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So I was at my local "box" store earlier and I walked by the saw stuff and was surprised to see an entirely new lineup of Poulans. The two smaller ones were called the "Predator" and the "Blackhawk" and both look like WildThings, except the Predator has fangs on the side of the recoil cover, and the Blackhawk is flat black and freaking cool lookin. The Pradator is $129 and the Blackhawk is $139. The other new one is called a Farmhand and looks like a PP295 and sells for $199.

Pretty cool methinks......I should get one of each.

Yeah like flat black is something new. :dizzy:

Thats what color all of the saws are around here by the time the loggers get around to trading them in. :laugh:

Im working on an older one called a "WoodShark" I would guess they will use every aggresive animal name they can think of to mask their inadequacies.
:chainsaw:

A flashy paint job, aggressive name, long bar on a small saw & a low price. A great selling saw for the uninformed.

Well the "Predator" one only has a 16" with .325, a 40cc saw should do allright for a homeowner who just wants some stuff cut up or some firewood.
I'm just kidding, I picked up a used wildthing in good shape for $20.00 got it running replaced the chain adjuster (which break a lot) Did a quickie muffler Mod, & put a 16" bar & a new chain on. Was only a couple seconds slower then a Husky 346 at a local competition.

Can you say JUNK!!!!!! J-U-N-K, JUNK!!!!!!!!!!!

DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON A POULAN!!!!!!

I dunno, its based on the WildThing, and theres worse saws than that, now those new Made in China MCullochs are pure junk, at least you can get parts to fix a Poulan.

I always hear how much junk those Poulans are, but I see them all over the place and the ones I've seen do just fine. Seem like a good "bang per buck" to me for those smaller saws.

I wish someone would do a saw race "youtube" style with those poulans vs. those much more expensive saws with the same displacements....

I always hear how much junk those Poulans are, but I see them all over the place and the ones I've seen do just fine. Seem like a good "bang per buck" to me for those smaller saws.

In my experience they aren't. I been using mine pretty heavy pruning limbs and cutting small stuff for a couple months. Oil pump failed 2 weeks ago, and the replacement pump failed today...same problem.

Can you say JUNK!!!!!! J-U-N-K, JUNK!!!!!!!!!!!

DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON A POULAN!!!!!!

Good timing on this topic. I have had one of these Wild Things around for inexperienced helpers to use (because of the safety bar and chain). But no more! I have spent more time fixing that hunk of junk than it runs!

A typical day with this saw is to go out and not get one full cut before something goes wrong and it needs fixing! I am serious! Not one full cut per day average. (We have other saws to use.)

It will not start. Or you pull the starting handle and the rope stays out and will not return. Or it starts, then dies when you take your hand off the throttle. Then you need to buy a special tool to adjust the idle. Next day it starts, runs for half a cut, then will not start again! Next day will not start. Next day starting rope will not return again. Runs for a while, then fill it up with gas and it will not re-start, Etc.

I have had this saw for 4 years and have yet to get the air cleaner dirty because it has not run that long! But I have spent many wasted hours trying to fix this hunk of junk.

Anyway I bought a smaller model Stihl (260 Pro) today with a safety bar and safety chain for the helpers to use. This gives me a smaller sturdy dependable saw plus the safety for lesser experienced helpers.

I had to pay a small fortune for this saw, but now I will be able to get some work done without having to stop and see what is wrong with my helpers saw every ten seconds! (I use one of my two Stihl 460's which have always been dependable.)

So now what to do with the Wild Thing? I want it out of my sight before I take a sledge hammer to it...

I am not going to sell it because I would not wish this frustration on anyone and would feel I would be cheating them if I took any money for this saw. I am not going to give it away to a friend to use because they would be on the phone to me constantly wanting me to fix it for them...

I do have a friend who has a wild thing and rarely uses it. Maybe once a year to trim a branch or two. I think I will give it to him for parts for his other saw.

Last edited:
Maybe I just lucked out.

My Pro :) version of the Wild Thingy rides around in the back of my truck or on the ATV.

It does have a few quirks, it vibrates too much, the bar oil runs out the same time or slightly before I run out of gas, and it feels like it's going to fall apart.

But it keeps going and it doesn't fall apart.

So I was at my local "box" store earlier and I walked by the saw stuff and was surprised to see an entirely new lineup of Poulans. The two smaller ones were called the "Predator" and the "Blackhawk" and both look like WildThings, except the Predator has fangs on the side of the recoil cover, and the Blackhawk is flat black and freaking cool lookin. The Pradator is $129 and the Blackhawk is $139. The other new one is called a Farmhand and looks like a PP295 and sells for $199.

The only Poulans that are (cool) are the counter vibes and b4!!

I got half drunk and figured it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any links to pics of these or any information? I've tried google to no avail, and poulan's crappy website doesn't show them either.

Quick search turned up these picts.
First one is the "farm hand".

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

From here: http://www.electroluxart.com/chainsaws.html

Gotta love that wild thing jr. :jester:

Latest posts

Back