New saw compression

• Thread starter Deleted member 135597
  • Start date
Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Must be a bad gauge.... I think I checked my 461R with a couple tanks through it and it was around 155 psi.
How long have you had your 461 and how many hours you think you have on it...

Do you overall like the saw??

Woody, Glad to hear you have your saw running. Just a coincidence but I have been having trouble with my gauge, on Husqvarna 545's & 550's only seem to get 110 psig, however the same gauge etc. and on an old stihl but the same size spark plug (10 mm), I get 150 psig with three pulls, and I have rebuilt all of them. I can't see any difference in the setup, but obviously is it is different, I guess I should go back and check the ones that said 110 again. Lol.

Again, Good Luck with your chainsaw.

Lol - How do you make it get that kind of reading ? I don't think I would want that kind of compression, It would probably run without a spark plug in the engine. too funny

How long have you had your 461 and how many hours you think you have on it...

Do you overall like the saw??
I have had the 461R almost 2 years now and truthfully probably only have 20-30 hours on it. I use it primarily for falling and bucking larger firewood trees on my property ( Softwood)
I love this saw.... It balances fairly nicely with a 32 inch Stihl Light bar, tons of power, no electronics... all a plus to me. I added a dual port muffler cover and opened up the factory opening , pulled limiters on the carb and tuned it in the cut ( Also checking with tach) The amount of time it saves me compared to running a 50cc saw is amazing in the bigger wood, roughly around 1/3rd the cut time on say a 26 inch diameter chunk of Alder. It actually kind of sucks since I would like to run the saw more.....LOL. I cant say enough good things about this saw really. It seems like it took about 5 tanks of fuel before it started to loosen up. Not sure how much of that is in the powerhead compared to things lapping together on the bar/chain. This saw and a 50cc saw and you pretty much have most things covered!!! :) The only thing I might still do to it is put an unlimited coil on it for easier tuning.
As a side note, Just my opinion, but I don't think you were the reason for the issue on the original piston, almost looks like foreign object damage from the factory.... Stihl might have screwed the pooch on this one I think, sorry that that happened to your brand new saw,,,,,

I have had the 461R almost 2 years now and truthfully probably only have 20-30 hours on it. I use it primarily for falling and bucking larger firewood trees on my property ( Softwood)
I love this saw.... It balances fairly nicely with a 32 inch Stihl Light bar, tons of power, no electronics... all a plus to me. I added a dual port muffler cover and opened up the factory opening , pulled limiters on the carb and tuned it in the cut ( Also checking with tach) The amount of time it saves me compared to running a 50cc saw is amazing in the bigger wood, roughly around 1/3rd the cut time on say a 26 inch diameter chunk of Alder. It actually kind of sucks since I would like to run the saw more.....LOL. I cant say enough good things about this saw really. It seems like it took about 5 tanks of fuel before it started to loosen up. Not sure how much of that is in the powerhead compared to things lapping together on the bar/chain. This saw and a 50cc saw and you pretty much have most things covered!!! :) The only thing I might still do to it is put an unlimited coil on it for easier tuning.
As a side note, Just my opinion, but I don't think you were the reason for the issue on the original piston, almost looks like foreign object damage from the factory.... Stihl might have screwed the pooch on this one I think, sorry that that happened to your brand new saw,,,,,
Well said sir, I agree 100%!!!!

I just got done running a tank of fuel through it. It ran well. Seemed like it had more power. At the end I was rechecking the tune with a tach and it shot up to 14500. Scared the crap outta me , thought I had an air leak. Grabbed the screwdriver to richen it up and then it died. OUTTA GAS FOOL! I pulled the muffler cover again. Things are looking ok. Only thing I notice is where the previous damage was to the cylinder, it is a different color. I can't tell if it's the rings that are riding more or less on that area altering the color. Either way I'm going to run it a bunch and go from there. I should be able to get a good 5 tanks through it the next few days.

View attachment 537822 Got a loaner tester from autozone. Guy at counter said I probably have a stuck reed valve on the side of the cylinder causing the low compression and I should dump some carb cleaner down the cylinder. ......... I could live with 150!
You need to have some fun with that guy when you go back. Tell him you checked the reed valve and they were fine. Tell him the muffler bearing was seized up and the fly ball governor had a nick in it.

Latest posts

Back