New saw compression

• Thread starter Deleted member 135597
  • Start date
Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm thinking about getting a 32 inch bar with full skip chain for this saw. what do you guys think? too much for this saw? It would be used rarely, but I do run into situations where I could use a little more length than a 28

i'm thinking about getting a 32 inch bar with full skip chain for this saw. what do you guys think? too much for this saw? It would be used rarely, but I do run into situations where I could use a little more length than a 28

Not too much bar for that saw. There's plenty of 460s running 36" bars, mostly on the west coast in conifers, but it'll do the job in hardwoods too. Just make sure your rakers aren't set too low, and don't be in a hurry. Let the saw do the work. If you need a 32" bar all day every day, you're in 90cc territory, but for occasional use, that 461 will treat you just fine.

Woody, Sounds like you did good, compression sounds great.

I am in South New Jersey, and have lots of red oak too, I use it in my glacier bay wood stove when it really gets cold, or if the weather man threatens that we have a storm coming, then I get the stove and pile of wood ready. Lol
Good luck with your New chainsaw.

You show me one post where I trolled and didn't make it known with a smiley or something. Then show me a post where I didn't contribute to the topic. Even the post in this thread that hurt your feelings I used smiley's. I don't argue much unless I'm trolling a guy but if I am argueing with you about a real subject; I have experience in that subject and only argue my point if I know what I'm talking about. So in other words, if I'm argueing with you your wrong unless it's an opinion based discussion. that's not being a know it all. Old coots always hate on the young guy with knowledge.
Ok, ok..... I get it. I'll try being nicer...... I didn't really mean the "Seagull" comment...... I'll buy you a Lucky Lager if we ever meet up.....Lol.

You show me one post where I trolled and didn't make it known with a smiley or something. Then show me a post where I didn't contribute to the topic. Even the post in this thread that hurt your feelings I used smiley's. I don't argue much unless I'm trolling a guy but if I am argueing with you about a real subject; I have experience in that subject and only argue my point if I know what I'm talking about. So in other words, if I'm argueing with you your wrong unless it's an opinion based discussion. that's not being a know it all. Old coots always hate on the young guy with knowledge.
It is not nice to troll Shane ,you may offend someone .

32 is a great size for the 460 ,all i run on the 440 saws .

Oh yeah. I'm at 16 tanks. It's a wild beast that can't be stopped. I just got a 32inch ES light bar for it with full skip chain. Have not ran that yet but I have a big red oak that will bury that bar. I love this saw.
Man that's great!!!!

Let me know how you like it with the big bar.... I know with the 25" bar it has zero issues in hard wood....

Man that's great!!!!

Let me know how you like it with the big bar.... I know with the 25" bar it has zero issues in hard wood....
I have a 28 and use full comp chain with no issues. I'm sure the 32 with full skip will do fine. It will only be used on rare occasions.

I have a 28 and use full comp chain with no issues. I'm sure the 32 with full skip will do fine. It will only be used on rare occasions.
Ya it sounds like it will be just fine.... I personally only have a 25" for mine... I damn near bought a suhihari 28" on cyber Monday but didn't...

Ya it sounds like it will be just fine.... I personally only have a 25" for mine... I damn near bought a suhihari 28" on cyber Monday but didn't...
I was thinking about selling my 28 and keeping the 20,25,and 32. The 25 is what I use the most

I was thinking about selling my 28 and keeping the 20,25,and 32. The 25 is what I use the most
If you don't mind me asking, how much was that 28" you got..... ya I went back and forth about the buying the 28" bar, finally just told myself "not right now!!!"....I also use the 25" and sometimes the 20" in tight spots....I know the 20 seems small on the 461, but locust, shagbark, and Osage orange is hard on a saw when it gets up around 18"+....

If you don't mind me asking, how much was that 28" you got..... ya I went back and forth about the buying the 28" bar, finally just told myself "not right now!!!"....I also use the 25" and sometimes the 20" in tight spots....I know the 20 seems small on the 461, but locust, shagbark, and Osage orange is hard on a saw when it gets up around 18"+....
I forget, somewhere around 135or the ES light. The 32inch was $147for the ES light from the dealer. that thing is long!

I have a scabbard for each bar. They were real cheap at dealer. $4.99 was the most expensive for the 32 inch. I put a chain on each bar and then slip it into the scabbard. I just bring all the bars with me like that. Everything is ready to go, no untangling chains, everything is protected, it's nice and neat etc. works well for me.

I haven't ran the Sugi, but I ran a tsumara 28" light bar recently on a 661. Man what a nice bar. They're cheaper than the Stihl bars, but I'm not sure about shipping.

Seriously nice bar, though. When (not if) I own one, my 25" ES will never get used.

I have a scabbard for each bar. They were real cheap at dealer. $4.99 was the most expensive for the 32 inch. I put a chain on each bar and then slip it into the scabbard. I just bring all the bars with me like that. Everything is ready to go, no untangling chains, everything is protected, it's nice and neat etc. works well for me.
. That's a good idea....I am goin to start putting some chains I don't use in bags with a little squirt of WD-40.... I try to only alternate between 2-chains for each bar(for wear reasons)....I actually seen that I need to dress my 20" stihl bar, it's not a replaceable sprocket tip just a regular roller tip style....I need to get a pro-stihl 20" bar....I got a Oregon power-match I use on the 461, it don't have that much use so we will see how it wears....

I tell ya I got a Oregon 520 grinder and I love it..... hell it don't take no time to grind a 25" chain, and I think it makes a great cutting edge...I made a few test cuts with a RS chain in some ash and had some good long chips.....once you kind of get the hang of it and know what cutter profile you want, it becomes fun and easy(for me anyway)!!!!IMG_1406.PNGIMG_1358.JPG

I haven't ran the Sugi, but I ran a tsumara 28" light bar recently on a 661. Man what a nice bar. They're cheaper than the Stihl bars, but I'm not sure about shipping.

Seriously nice bar, though. When (not if) I own one, my 25" ES will never get used.
Wow that says a lot....did you notice if the bar had a lot of flexibility or did it seem plenty rigid.....

Back