New Saw Decision Time

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which one, folks?

• Total voters
Ok, so much for the 361 C-Q. Looks like I'm back to a 362 or 2165.

The Jonsy dealer is in Augusta, just a few miles from Romney on Rt. 50, the Stihl dealer is in Burlington (other side of Romney on 50). Any of the prices I've mentioned are with the fall promo thats going on.

Anyone have the chance to run either of these two saws side by side? I would assume the 2165 cuts faster, but at the expense of more weight. Also, where are all the 2159/359 fans out there?

Last edited:
Ok, so much for the 361 C-Q. Looks like I'm back to a 362 or 2165.

The Jonsy dealer is in Augusta, just a few miles from Romney on Rt. 50, the Stihl dealer is in Burlington (other side of Romney on 50). Any of the prices I've mentioned are with the fall promo thats going on.

Anyone have the chance to run either of these two saws side by side? I would assume the 2165 cuts faster, but at the expense of more weight. Also, where are all the 2159/359 fans out there?

The faster saw between the two is probably not enough either way to even be a concern. I would think more about the weight and how they feel in your hand. Both are going to last you a long time.

Just go feel them both out and pick from there. The 362 is hard to beat in the balance and antivibe department though.

I'm going this morning to feel them both out. My purchase has been pushed back some, but I'm thinking I may need to pick it up before Earl comes ashore. We won't see quite the destruction the coast will, but we'll get some wind and rain.

Went to smell the new saws this morning at the local Stihl and Husky dealer under one roof. I have to say, that 362 felt right for what I'll be doing, and my dealings with that dealer have been nothing but first class. I will be waiting, however, until their fall sale starts in a couple weeks to get some free stuff.

All in all, I think the 2165/2171 will continue to be on my list of saws to acquire, but the added weight and bulk just don't make it the right one for me right now.

Thanks everyone for all the input and information! I will report on the saw once I turn some teeth.

Brought the new 362 home a few days ago. Haven't run it much just yet, but it runs strong and I look forward to getting several tanks through it and seeing it wake up. Also, the springs they're using for AV now are great, gives a more positive feel to the saw.

Also, being the good business man that he was, the dealer gave me the ES bar at no added cost, citing that they give buyers of the pro saws the choice either way.

Now I've just got to finish up the piping on my furnace...............

I brought this thread back from the dead because its very relevant to my current situation. I need a saw for felling and bucking. As far as lugging the saw around, the wooded parts of my property are full of obstacles so weight is possibly a factor. I'm certain I want a Jonsered and the 2165 sounds like it would be perfect for what I'll be doing but if the 2172 has more guts that might be nice as well. The less time I spend bucking the better, you see I don't really enjoy sawing for the hell of it lol. Whenever I see a video of someone making cookies I get sick cuz they could be doing something useful at my place! How much lighter is the 2165 anyways? Sorry about the necro-thread but it saves a lot of time as a re-hash.

I brought this thread back from the dead because its very relevant to my current situation. I need a saw for felling and bucking. As far as lugging the saw around, the wooded parts of my property are full of obstacles so weight is possibly a factor. I'm certain I want a Jonsered and the 2165 sounds like it would be perfect for what I'll be doing but if the 2172 has more guts that might be nice as well. The less time I spend bucking the better, you see I don't really enjoy sawing for the hell of it lol. Whenever I see a video of someone making cookies I get sick cuz they could be doing something useful at my place! How much lighter is the 2165 anyways? Sorry about the necro-thread but it saves a lot of time as a re-hash.

The 2165 and 2172 are basically the same saw, same weight, but the 2172 has more power.

The 2165 is a nice saw, but the 2171/2172 (and the Husqvarna 365/372) is a tad nicer for one thing: They all have the 2-piece top cover that gives you tool less access to the airfilter and the plug for cleaning and replacement, while the 2165 will need a screwdriver to remove the top cover.

This difference is only found on the Jonsered, while the Husqvarna 365 and 372 both have a 2-piece cover. Power difference is not so much a matter of more or less between the models, but rather just different temperament. <-- EDIT: Opinion on user experience! Of course the 2171/2172 and the 372 actually has more power in the specs!

Last edited:
The 2165 is a nice saw, but the 2171/2172 (and the Husqvarna 365/372) is a tad nicer for one thing: They all have the 2-piece top cover that gives you tool less access to the airfilter and the plug for cleaning and replacement, while the 2165 will need a screwdriver to remove the top cover.

This difference is only found on the Jonsered, while the Husqvarna 365 and 372 both have a 2-piece cover. Power difference is not so much a matter of more or less between the models, but rather just different temperament.

Thanks for that info, I did not know that the 365 has the two piece cover while the 2165 does not. Good to know. I just ordered a 365 a couple of weeks ago.

IMO the 2165 and the 365 are the best bang for the buck out there. There have been some real good deals showing up lately on the 365's. Over the summer my bud bought a 365 powerhead only for around 5 bills on Amazon. But beware of online because there are a lot of counterfeits out there.

The 2166 and the 2172 are basically the same except for a restrictor plate on the 2166. If I were you i would go 2172 all the way.
Actually I would get the 2166 get rid of the restrictor plate and have a 2172 for a lot less money..............................

Last edited:
Back