New saw - Echo 701S VL

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool old saw! I also recently found one of these saws. I literally found it, under a rubbermaid tub in a blackberry thicket I was clearing! It had been outside for at least 5 years since that is how long I have been at this house with no one going near the area! Well, I took off the side covers, cleaned it up a bit, drained the old gas out and filled with fresh and after about 10 pulls, it sputtered to life! I do notice it needs some tuning and an air cleaner and cover. It also has an ON/OFF switch installed directly below the choke knob. The original one seems to be worn and has been eliminated. If anyone here has the shop manual to this saw, and possibly an air cleaner cover, I am interested in obtaining one! It is a heavy saw, but it is a testament to the old stuff that this old beast runs after at least 5 years sitting out in the Washington rain and weather and still firing up so easily! My 2 year old Homelite would never take such abuse!
Well, nice to meet all of you!
Bill

The chain tensioner bolt should be an easy match up at your dealer from another model.

The sprocket covers show up on ebay every now and then and maybe chainsawr (link above) has one. The CS-601 cover will fit also. If you can't find one i can make you a new one from alum...Bob

If you are making stuff out of aluminum, you want to make me a new fan for my 1001? I'd bet if someone milled a batch of 10, they could sell 'em all.

New guy here

Hi my name is Pony. Pleased to have found this site and looking forward to learning and contributing.
I have numerous old (very old) chain saws. I have found that in many case the older saws out perform some of the new stuff out there.
A Stihl 009 that I have had forever and still my best pruning saw.
A John Deere 55v (Echo 500) that I discovered in a pile of dirt and after cleaning it started 5th pull.
And my latest acquisition is a echo 702evl which is all metal. Weighs a ton and runs like a champ
Not sure when the 701 came out The 702 came around in the middle 70's
As far as fuel the 702 manual is very adamant that you use 20:1 fuel or dire results may occur.
I have found that most parts for the 2 echos can be ordered through a Echo dealer.
Just ordered a throttle lock and spring and pin for under $12.

Back