New saw help!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjones

Reaction score
Guys, I'm new here to the forum and I have done some research on some saws and I need some experienced help. I'm looking at buying a new saw, I want a good all around saw that will give me years of use. Give me some of your thoughts. I plan on using it for fire wood and ranch work. Thanks for the help,

Chet

The question is a little vague. What price range? I have a friend who uses a 372xp for what your describing and another friend who uses a Stihl MS290, yet still another friend who uses a 395xp.

More imformation is needed. But base one what your've stated. I would recommend a 346xp, IMO it's a good all around saw.

Here's my nichols worth. If you can find a good used 044 Stihl or a 372XP Husqvarna those 2 will do all you ever ask of them. If you take care of um they will give you years of trouble free service. All of our 30 some work saws are Stihl or Huskey and they will get it done. Both have good power and can be used all day if need be. The new ones are pricey but it's well worth the cash to get a pro model saw the first go round you won't regret it.
Good luck and saw safe,
Joe

saws

The price doesn't really matter. I just want a good saw. I have looked at Husky, Stihl and Jonesred. I just can't decide on which saw to buy. Thanks for the info.

Take a look at Baileys one of the sponsors for a Makita re badged Dolmar. They are really popular with a upgrade cylinder.

Do your self a big solid and get the new 562XP. Check out the threads that are going on. Both the 555 and the 562XP are awesome. The 562XP @12.3 pounds 4.7 hp and autotune IMHO is the best all around saw you could ask for. I'm tryin my best to hold out for an XPG (heated handles) However, the 555 @ 11.9 pounds and 4.3 just got thru spanking Mitch's (mweba) 357XP by a good 2 seconds. So the 562XP..........well..........LOL..........
Oh and BTW, if you buy now and trade an old Husqvarna saw in before Oct.9th Husqvarna will give you $50.00 off the price plus a free Husqvarna tee shirt and a free Husqvarna carrying case! If you dont have an old Husqvarna to trade in you still get the free tee shirt as well as the carrying case! It's a win-win-win situation!

Last edited:
Softwoods? Typical size of wood? Felling or limbing mostly? Making firewood? How much cutting or cords per year? How much does the weight matter? Do you care about resale value? These are probably the main things I would consider. Choosing the pro vs "farm" models will have to do with how much you want to pay, weight, repairability, resale value, longevity.

About a 60cc pro saw would be my suggestion in any of the big 4-5 brands that have parts and service nearby. But the answers to these questions might make smaller or bigger saws or a 2 saw plan better.

Buy dealer support not brand, A professional dealer is worth his weight in knowledge and having parts on hand.

Buy dealer support not brand, A professional dealer is worth his weight in knowledge and having parts on hand.

You beat me to it. I have a Stihl Jonsered dealer 5 miles from my house and a Dolmar dealer that is about 12 miles from my house. Both are great dealers to do business with. All 3 saw brands have good professional saws.

Buy dealer support not brand

+1!

Choose the dealer that seems most knowledgable -- and most villing to use his knowledge to help you with your needs -- then buy the brand he sells! The other most important thing is that the saw must feel comfortable in your hands. All three brands you mention are "the best", and each of them has better and worse models. Husqvarna and Jonsered are even the same saws but in different colors and different ergonomics (front handle bar angle), you'll have to try them in your hands to know what feels best for your personal preference. Quality wise there's no difference between the two, and a lot of parts are interchangeable! Whether or not Stihl is higher quality is a matter of endless ongoing discussions, and a verdict is far away... Another hint: It's not a law of nature that everybody likes the Husqvarna ergonomics better than Jonsereds, even if it might seem so when you understand the difference, you'll have to try them on...

If you tell us what kind of wood, how big and how often, you will get a lot of suggestons for each and everyones own favrite brand and model. Most folks here are most likely going to suggest pro-models (it's why we're here...), but from what you've said so far you could probably be happy with the better consumer models as well -- they do a good job and last a long time for... well, people that don't hang around AS too much...

Last edited:
My Son Purchased a Homeowner Husky 460 last Fall and cuts with me routinely with my MS-361 no problems with the power or cutting speed . I have had my Stihl for yrs and would think the same for my Son's Husky . As the forum has indicated a Good Dealer can provide very valuable assistance in final selection .

Back