New saw thoughts 372xp or 576xp??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stone69er

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all,time for a bigger saw(well something that rips),need something to run a 24 inch bar,only looking at these two saws and must be huskie:msp_sneaky:,
Would also like to do a muffler mod as I like to tinker.....
Any advise would be great
cheers

I've owned both for work. I'd go 576. Better power band. Torquey ####er. Do dual port the muffler. Very nice saw as stratos go. - Sam

What about the autotune with the 576 then??
And also my friend has not long bought a 575xp and that thing likes to break down.....Seams to be going ok at the moment with his new 28 inch bar.What was the problems with the 575 and is the 576 and 'new' saw?

Most of the problems with the 575 were reported to be on the bottom end.

The 576 is a reworked version which lost a bit of weight and gained some more power.

Having owned both the 372 and the 576, I think the choice really depends on your applicaiton. The 372 is lighter and easier to maneuver. If you need to fell, buck and limb out trees then I'd rather do the limbing with a 372 than a 576. For a saw to work a woodpile, or to buck larger stock, or for felling, but less limbing and light detail work, a 576 is where it's at.

The autotune units reportedly deliver better performance over a standard carb unit. They have been reported to take to mild muffler mods. I dont think anybody has tested to see where exactly the flexibility of the autotune chip maxes out.

Cutting with a 441 M-tronic today, I did notice that there is a much broader powerband, as the saw is optimizing the fuel air ratio to exactly what youre doing, as it's happening.

FWIW one of the Aussie racers is using a 576 in the under 77cc class here against the 046's and 460's and is very competitive while giving away capacity, so they take to mods OK too.

Having owned both

Hands down the 576XP. Better power over a much wider range. Put an 8 tooth on it with a 20 inch bar and the saw really comes to life.

If you're going to be felling hardwood logs definitely 576XP. If your dropping pulp or firewood trees the 372XP will work, but the 576XP is still a better choice, as it can develop power when you need it.

Never ran a 576XP AT, but I love my 441CM Tronic that uses similar technology.

Take Care

Just a reminder that the AT version adds some more weight to the already heavier and bulkier 576xp...:biggrinbounce2:

I have never run a 576xp, as there are no need for the added weight and power here, so the better-handling 372xp fits better here - but it may be where you are....

Actually I would probably jump streight to the 390xp, if the need for a larger/stronger saw appeared, and keep the ol' 372xp.

372 absolutely shreds with a 24 inch bar, and is very nimble with a 20 or 18 inch bar if you need it to be.

I want to say the 372 is about 14 lbs and a few ounces. The 576 was about 15 lbs and 10 oz. A 390 was 16 lbs 5 oz or so. All had flush cut handles. They weren't new when I weighed them but were drained down good and some were drained overnight. So the 576 is in the middle with a little more power than the 372. The 390 is a jump in weight and power.

Hi nice to meet all you folks.I worked for dealers for many years and did many mods for work saws and competition.
As for the 576 bottom end do the main bearings have metal or plastic cages?It is the cage that self-destructs and destroys the bearing(along with piston and cyl. too)Replace the main bearings with a high quality brand of bearings and specify plastic cages,these are very light and slippery,survive much higher constant rpm without failure and if one should fail,the motor eats the plastic cage with no damage.
A real power-boosting trick I invented for the 372 was to adapt a Jonsered 670 piston,it fits ok but needs minor(cheap machining to the top,which results in a hi-comp. dome and allows raising the exhaust port more for more power.I did lots of these with no problems. This trick works great.I wish I knew how to send a diagram here...:confused: Can someone explain how to simply so I can?

What you're talking about is making a popup on the piston. I don't think he was wanting more than a muffler mod. The 576 has more torque stock to stock.

I have a 372xp. It still makes me smile after a year every time i use it. They just rip ,i cant say enough good about it. 24 inch bar I would like to try 20 or so for limbing.I cant see why anybody wouldnt like these saws.

Yeah all id do is a simple muffler mod,with this done would it produce power close to the 576.Would rather gain in the weight lose and add with a muffler mod

Latest posts

Back