New saw time

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan48

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Typical question, looking for a bit of help on selecting a new saw. I'm a homeowner, cutting several hours a week most every week throughout the year. Being ignorant, I first picked up a Wild Thing. That lasted a week and I took it back to Lowe's. In the interim, I borrowed a friend's 45cc Husky and found AS where I started reading. A lot. After a few weeks here, I picked up a rebuilt Husky 55 from another member last year and some bars, chains, files, etc from Bailey's and cut all winter and through the summer.

So now I at least understand why I bought a cheap saw - got it pinched a number of times, made some mistakes but I feel that now I at least have the hang of things. A few days ago, the sprocket wore out. I plan to rebuild it but this is a good excuse for a second saw.

Wandered down to a local Stihl dealer. I have not been impressed with their sales staff, I've been in there a number of times and they really don't provide much assistance at all (mostly they just stare at me like I'm going to run out the door with a saw). No MS361 left on the shelf and the MS362 felt really heavy and awkward after using that 11.4 pound Husky. When I picked up the MS260, my wife said "you shouldn't buy a smaller saw than what you have."

I've hear good things about the Makita line Bailey's sells but the DCS510 is 12.1 pounds and at that weight I could grab a Husky 357XP. Problem is that I'd be paying double the price of the 510 which is really hard to justify. Can't find any local Dolmar so that's out (hence looking at the Makita). I really don't think I need a 70+cc saw, though if I can ever snag a 6401 from Home Depot, I hope to use that as a big saw.

I'm hoping to hit a local Husqvarna dealer and check out a 346XP, while I pick up a replacement sprocket for the 55; it's light and should handle an 18" bar though I'm a little worried about buying a 50cc saw. I have bogged the 55 a few times.

Anyway, I know this comes up a lot but for us non-pros who don't use these things 40 hours a week, it's pretty hard to sort through all the information out there and make an informed decision without spending poorly.

Any suggestions would be great.

I wouldn't be afraid of looking for used again. Keep an eye on Craigslist. I'm guessing your wanting something in the 60cc range...Husky 359, 357, 262, 261. Stihl 361, Dolmar 6400. I don't think you'd see much of a difference over your 55 w/ the 346...although it's a heckuva saw. I've picked up some nice saws on CL, and some that needed a bit of attention but the price was right.

The 346XPne has more grunt than the 55. Don't sweat bogging it unless you are leaning on things hard. ;)

There are afew 361's around if ya look.
There's a dusty one on the shelf at Finnermans in Eau Clare.;)
Bit of a drive though.:D

The 359 is a good next step up and around the same weight you're used to.

Cast an eye on the trading post now and then as well.
Some good snags can be had quite often.

Stick around and make sure to let us know what happens.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Will try to check out the 359, thanx. As I mentioned in my OP, there's no Dolmar dealers around here so I'm reluctant to go that route. Eau Clare is a heck of a drive.

Thanx for the input, will check the thread before I head out tomorrow.

Also quite a hike for you but local small Jred dealer has a 2156 w/ less than a tank of fuel through it that you could probably pick up for less than 400. Saw has no warranty since it's 5 yrs old and has an inch of dust on it from sitting in his shop. The 2156 is the Jred version of Husky's 357XP.

I wouldn't be afraid of looking for used again. Keep an eye on Craigslist.
+2.
It sounds like you don't need it "today". Be patient. There are some wicked deals out there, especially if you have some basic skills and tools and don't mind a little tinkering. It's amazing how much OPE get's cast away because of easily-repaired mechanical issues.

Will try to check out the 359, thanx. As I mentioned in my OP, there's no Dolmar dealers around here so I'm reluctant to go that route. Eau Clare is a heck of a drive.

Thanx for the input, will check the thread before I head out tomorrow.

You can't go wrong with the 359 we have one and it's been trouble free for 5 yrs. now. Good saw good price and with a muffler mod it's even better. You can run it all day and not feel beat up at days end. Ours was run everyday for awhile and stihl gets plenty of firewood duty. It pulls a 24" bar with full comp and does a real good job. Good luck.
Joe

Well, I tell ya pardner I know what your talkin about but heck, if it were me and I could swing it, heck I would do it anyway and thats get a 372xpw while you still can. I used myne just yesterday playing around and that saw is awesome and just a lotta fun too. I believe its 13 pounds too. i tell ya ilove that saw :love1:

A open port Husky 55 with a 3/8 chain is no powerhouse, a 346xp will cut way better. If you have a closed port 55 running a .325 chain it would be a lot closer. Steve

+1

The closed port 55's are strong runners. I have two open and 1 closed port model, and another near mint closed port model on it's way here that I snagged off Ebay as soon as it was listed.

The open port models are a few more cc's, and both of mine came with 3/8" bar/chain set-ups. The closed port 55 is considerably faster, and it uses a .325" bar/chain. I'm not sure at this point why the open tranfer 55's replaced the smaller bore closed transfer units, and why the later models went to 3/8" bars/chains instead of .325"?

I have one of my 55's for sale in the trading post, open port, and it is as nice a used 55 as you will ever find. Compression is perfect, at 150psi, and it needs nothing.......Cliff

359 would be a good improvement and a fine saw, but like said, it's closer to 13 lbs than 12 lbs. A 357xp is a 'souped up' 359 and I love mine. With that said, I personally would get a 346xp, it's an amazing little saw, that can do it all :)

:cheers:

I usually don`t get involved with these saw recommendations unless I can talk to the OP personally as there are so many variables to take into consideration. If this is going to be your main saw and you don`t plan on having a fleet of saws to choose from then I would not recommend going any smaller than a 359. A 372 would be the best all around trouble free saw anyone could own, just like the 044 and MS440 is for the Stihl heads like myself.
Once you get one then you would see that they are the best all around saw for a one chainsaw owner, problem then is what is the next saw to compliment the one all around best saw and that is usually a smaller displacement nimble saw for small stuff and limbing like the 346 or 350, then comes the decision of what is the best saw for the really big stuff and it does not end until you have a fleet of saws, one for every condition woodcutting can throw at you.
PIoneerguy600

I"LL chime in on this too. If you are considering Baileys, and spending 346 money, [Not sure how much a 346 is] , Why not get a Makita 6400? IMO, that size saw, 2165, 365 6400, is the best bang for the buck going.

The Husky dealer was much more pleasant than the Stihl dealer. They did not have a 359 in stock, would have had to order it. The 346xp felt nice but I think I can get my old 55 working again and use that for limbing so I could not convince myself to buy that one.

But this 357xp kept catching my attention and I ended up walking out with it. The dealer had no 20" bars in stock so I just kept the 18" bar and stock chain for the moment, planning to pick up some chisel & semi-chisel and a 20" bar soon.

The 346xp would have been enough saw for ya, but the 357 is a fine saw
and just enough more HP to almost justify the extra $200 :)

You will like it! :cheers:

Back