New saw time

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
congrats on the new saw, should fit your needs well. I've never used a 357xp, but I would have thought it is a good all round saw!

that being said, if you stick on this site by this time next year you'll also have a 346xp, 372xp, possibly a couple of Stihls, the 6400 with 7900 top end...

cheers,
Joe

I'm starting to understand what happens after a while, I'm just thinking that I really should not need a bigger saw.

Congrats!!!

The 357 is gonna be an eye opener for ya, and it wont be too long before you run a 372 or a 460 and your eyeballs will start spinning in saw lust.:hmm3grin2orange:

It's one thing to cut quick enough, then step into a saw that cuts pretty fast, and yet another thing entirely when the saw is explosive about cutting.
Quite intoxicating really.

LOL!!
"I'm just thinking that I really SHOULD NOT NEED a bigger saw".

Just keep saying that over, and over, and over, as ya hang out here.;)

Let us know how it goes when ya get the new 357 into wood!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I'm starting to understand what happens after a while, I'm just thinking that I really should not need a bigger saw.

some resist for longer than others, but CAD will get you eventually!

cheers,
Joe

The step from 50-60cc up to 70-90cc is a big one in power if you cut decent sized wood. After using 70-90cc saws now I've only put 5 tanks or so through the 5105 I bought the first week of january.

I used a 350 husky for about 3 years then bought a ms460 and sold the husky after I picked up an ebay 044. I kept them about 4 years before I bought a 372xpw off ebay and then a new 372, a new 390xp, a used 660, and a 7900 all within a couple months. Then traded the 390 and 372 off to a member here for a new ms 440 and a 7900 with wrap handle. I bought a used ms 440 and a 394xp this spring and both have found new homes. Now I've got a 576 and a 390 and a 5105 dolmar. It doesn't take long if the wallet will support it to accumulate some saws and trade around on a lot of them.

Its starting. First your on this site. Next your looking for a new saw. Now your thinking about spending a few evenings over a couple cold ones tinkering with that 55. Then you'll find a good deal on a parts saw that you think you can't do without. Then its running. And so on.

Best advice I can give you is build shelves now.

I started out with a new woodburner, a Craftsman/ Poulan 3000 and a Jonsered 2150. The Craftsman needed fixed and I stumbled onto this site.

On my way to pick-up my 3rd 031 AV and a Jonsereds m36 Craigs list find. I find a huge blowdown on a Penn Dot rite of way. That the Farm Bosses got all the small stuff from. I just got done loading up truck with my 7900, my J-Red 2065, a Mac 1-46 and an OLY 999f and 264f Gonna get some wood tomorow.

Last edited:

Be strong man! I'm holding out, cause I don't need no stinkin big saw :D

I may port my 357xp, but this is the largest saw I want.

Well, maybe a 560xp when they come out...:)

Last edited:
Good job on the saw choice--you will surely enjoy it:clap::clap:. For what it is worth, I think the 18" bar balances the best on the 357, and the 20" husky bars are actually only one inch longer--I would save your money and keep the 18" bar. What is the stock chain you are referring too? When I bought my 357 it came with full chisel oregon chain (re-badged husky) which is good chain--at least for my applications. Let us know how you like the saw when you use it some. :cheers:
Tim

Back