New saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mic687

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Posting this here because tap talk won't let me post it in commercial forum. I picked up a 540xp today as I am not thrilled with my 201 w ported muffler going to cut with it tomorrow I'll let you know what I think. I will say even with the break in cuts on white oak it revs quicker than my stihl and held rpms better. On a side note why do I sometimes get not enough permission to post on the commercial forum I've been on here like 7 yrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ypabuguq.jpg
7a3ebuve.jpg

$50 will make your 201T out cut any top handle out there

I have a ported muffler but not the timing advance on my 201. I think it sucks that I have to modify a new saw to have it preform adequately. My 201 in stock form stunk and I have 5 stihl saws 3 of which I really like. I will have to see how the husky holds up but it cuts better out of the box than my 201 did and that's coming from a stihl guy.

Im a Husky guy and have never cared for their top handle saws including the 540. I have always used Stihl top handles and have a modded 201T.

Im a Husky guy and have never cared for their top handle saws including the 540. I have always used Stihl top handles and have a modded 201T.

I am a stihl guy and have been disappointed with the last two saws I bought the 201 and a 362, in stock form both are dogs. The 201 wakes up remarkably well with mods it's just a pisser you have to do that. I know the husky cuts better bone stock but I can't say I'm a convert yet.

I am a stihl guy and have been disappointed with the last two saws I bought the 201 and a 362, in stock form both are dogs. The 201 wakes up remarkably well with mods it's just a pisser you have to do that. I know the husky cuts better bone stock but I can't say I'm a convert yet.

Try a 395xp and you'll be all set to jump the fence!

There's more than one crap husky, same as there's more than one crap Stihl, Mercedes, BMW...

So I have been using the husky 540 for a couple of months now, and here are some observations. This saw cuts fast on limbs and smaller wood. The saw works quite well in green wood up to16". I do think the muffler moded 201 has a little more torque but the chain speed is slower. My only complaint with the husky is it is a little flakey starting sometimes. All that being said I have both a 201 and 540 and I almost always take the 540 in the tree with me.

I have a T540 a day or 2 away! I'm like a kid getting a new bike! I'm honestly excited. I just hope i actually like it's feel, balance and cutting speed. I have been real happy with the 338XPT, but it's time to step up and get on board with the new tech. Plus having an air filter NOT against the wood i am cutting would be nice. :)

I like the saw so far, although I did have a kill switch issue and had to take the saw Handle apart to fix it. It seems that the switch got some gunk in it and was not going forward enough. My cold eye appraisal is that the throttle linkage is fragile compared to the stihl ,and when you take the break handle off there is a dog bone and spring thing that keeps the break lever from being reinstalled until you stick a screwdriver through a slot and push it forward. I was getting a little frustrated until I noticed why the lever would not seat. The top trigger linkage works good but it is just a thin piece of spring wire, I guess I'll see how it holds up cause I don't plan to stop using it anytime soon.

I like the saw so far, although I did have a kill switch issue and had to take the saw Handle apart to fix it. It seems that the switch got some gunk in it and was not going forward enough. My cold eye appraisal is that the throttle linkage is fragile compared to the stihl ,and when you take the break handle off there is a dog bone and spring thing that keeps the break lever from being reinstalled until you stick a screwdriver through a slot and push it forward. I was getting a little frustrated until I noticed why the lever would not seat. The top trigger linkage works good but it is just a thin piece of spring wire, I guess I'll see how it holds up cause I don't plan to stop using it anytime soon.

Yeah i noticed all that when i was putting the spikes on and changing the handle over for the XL size grip. Has me worried a little with how the trigger linkage seems a bit flimsy but like you say time will tell.

Just looking forward to putting some hours on it this week as this rain should lift tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back