New saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you found a guy in the UK who has a problem with his saw and now the global saw supply of 550mk2 is full of problems? Everyone gets a lemon now and then with even the best products. My family had a new Toyota 4Runner fail on us with 20k miles, but we all knew it was a fluke. Toyota fixed it immediately and it’s been trouble free for a decade since.

I know someone who has a large volume Husky shop and he says he hasn’t had any comebacks on a MK2 so far. I’ve also spoken with a couple of dealers in my own state who are exclusive Husky who say the same. They’ll tell you all day about the hot start nightmares and carb/electronics issues on the old 550 and the bearing issues and other problems with the 562 and 572, but none can point to a problem on a MK2.

I have Stihl, Husky and Echo saws in the family and I don’t have any bias. The 550xp MK2 is a solid saw.

I’m in the market for a couple of new saws.
I need a good 50cc saw and a 90cc saw. I currently have a dolmar 510 and a 7900.
so my thoughts are a 550xp, 545 or a ms261cm for the 50cc.
For the 90cc I was looking a old school 288xp. Or a 390xp
Thoughts? Recommendations??
My secondary saw is an MS261 C-M ...decided to give M-Tronic a try since it was for personal use, and I have two major dealers close by. They do make an MS261 without M-Tronic, if you don't trust it or want to mod it later down the line like anything else. I've been researching others on modding M-Tronic saws but it seems to be in developments stages still. I bury my 20" bar in much larger wood with no issues

If your Dolmars are torque monsters, like a tractor, I can tell you the MS261 and MS462 are RPM saws but still have good torque. The 500i and 661 I think are that way as well...just haven't ran one yet to say fore sure. The 029 Super and 044/046 I used to run were more torque saws compared to the new stuff. Last saw I ran above 70cc class was an 066 Magnum which seemed to push torque over RPMs as well. When my warranty runs out, I'm hoping to juice it up to run at least a 25" plus bar without skipping a beat.

The MS261 has very impressive weight to power ratio. The M-Tronic system starts effortlessy every time, and cuts consistently throughout the day.

So you found a guy in the UK who has a problem with his saw and now the global saw supply of 550mk2 is full of problems? Everyone gets a lemon now and then with even the best products. My family had a new Toyota 4Runner fail on us with 20k miles, but we all knew it was a fluke. Toyota fixed it immediately and it’s been trouble free for a decade since.

I know someone who has a large volume Husky shop and he says he hasn’t had any comebacks on a MK2 so far. I’ve also spoken with a couple of dealers in my own state who are exclusive Husky who say the same. They’ll tell you all day about the hot start nightmares and carb/electronics issues on the old 550 and the bearing issues and other problems with the 562 and 572, but none can point to a problem on a MK2.

I have Stihl, Husky and Echo saws in the family and I don’t have any bias. The 550xp MK2 is a solid saw.
AI linked one thread about problems, if you read it you would have found others had the same problem,
so not just one, If this is how you interpret what these users said, then no evidence will be of any benefit
as you don’t take it in when it’s spelled out, and as for global supply of 550xp mk2 saws all having problems,
that’s your swan song song not mine.

Well this is sad to hear, as the options in a premium 50cc saw are very limited. Give it another 6 months to a year for the real story to come out in the mainstream.
surely some of the reports are BS, and some are exaggerated, and some are truth.

those little Huskies are beautiful creations. It's really too bad that there may be issues again. Hard to believe, really.

dangit.

Well this is sad to hear, as the options in a premium 50cc saw are very limited. Give it another 6 months to a year for the real story to come out in the mainstream.
surely some of the reports are BS, and some are exaggerated, and some are truth.

those little Huskies are beautiful creations. It's really too bad that there may be issues again. Hard to believe, really.

dangit.
Yeah, I was so close to buying the mk 2 550, I fondled one, looked well designed, had plenty of meat to it,
then I started looking for 550 mk 2 problems, unfortunately found some.
The MS261 rv2 is out a few years now and not hearing of such issues, so that would draw me
to the Stihl. But time will tell if Husky are not up to it.

The problem we have here and elsewhere on the Internet, is things often happen in one of two ways. Somethings get blown away out of proportion, others get swept under the rug. Let's be clear, we're still dealing with quite complex machines with a lot going on, with so many outside factors it makes the water really muddy. The 550 MK-II may be a pos, maybe it will be really solid, so far from what I can tell it looks more good than bad. One thing is for sure, the MK-II is doing miles better than the original, at least it's heading in the right direction.[emoji111]

Yep, mk 2 got off to a better start than their previous attempt. So far seems like carbs are giving
trouble, and crank seals rubbing through from improper fitting, I really hate to say this, but when things were assembled on shore, us eu, things were put together more consistently, you did get a what you paid for back in the day.
Its horrible buying and praying you get a good one.

Yep, mk 2 got off to a better start than their previous attempt. So far seems like carbs are giving
trouble, and crank seals rubbing through from improper fitting, I really hate to say this, but when things were assembled on shore, us eu, things were put together more consistently, you did get a what you paid for back in the day.
Its horrible buying and praying you get a good one.
So they're not made in Sweden? Do you have any direct evidence of the failures? I'm not outright doubting you, but I like to see evidence, or hear directly from those that have had these experiences first hand. Honestly I only trust a hand full of guys on these forums with this type of stuff, the rest is just gossip in my book.

So they're not made in Sweden? Do you have any direct evidence of the failures? I'm not outright doubting you, but I like to see evidence, or hear directly from those that have had these experiences first hand. Honestly I only trust a hand full of guys on these forums with this type of stuff, the rest is just gossip in my book.
I have no reason to disbelieve the guys on the UK forum, they reported their problems, others said they had them too.

@Tree Feller How do you like the 550? I love mine so far but I only have about eight tanks through if I were to guess. Just a homeowner hack here so I doubt I’ll ever wear the thing out.

Not run it much. 3 tanks yesterday. So far I love it! The smoothest saw I have ever ran.
I have to agree, but I’ve not run a lot of other models. I hope they hold up. Five year warranty with the canned fuel purchase makes me feel good about it anyway.

Has the canned fuel been tested to see how much oil is really in there.
I have a feeling it is one way for Husqvarna to say use 50:1
in their equipment, and then sell a fuel with more oil content
and give a 5 year warranty as a result of better lubrication.

i have a 2253 (550xp) and a 2260 562xp. the 2260 is ok but what a piece of crap that 2253 is. once it gets warm it shuts off mid cut. these saws nickel and dime me steady. im fixing up my older model saws so i can work daily. ill never buy a husky again!

i have a 2253 (550xp) and a 2260 562xp. the 2260 is ok but what a piece of crap that 2253 is. once it gets warm it shuts off mid cut. these saws nickel and dime me steady. im fixing up my older model saws so i can work daily. ill never buy a husky again!
I was lucky to buy a new 2153 Jonsered, then the 2253 came along and I was happy not to need one, the shop
I bought it of stopped Jonsered after the Autotune came along, went to Shindaiwa / Echo, so did I.

Has the canned fuel been tested to see how much oil is really in there.
I have a feeling it is one way for Husqvarna to say use 50:1
in their equipment, and then sell a fuel with more oil content
and give a 5 year warranty as a result of better lubrication.
I’m not aware of any testing for oil content being done. Your hypothesis does seem plausible. Would be a sneaky way to make the EPA happy and keep the bearings in good shape too. I just bought the canned fuel for the warranty extension, I’ve used some of the can but for the bulk of my use I plan to mix my own with Swift UL94 fuel and XP+ oil at 40-1.

Is this a new problem or has it done this for years? It's not an unusual issue on these models but can be fixed:

1) Check your coil isn't overheating and everything is clean. Check all your electric connections. As soon as the saw dies check to see if you've lost spark. If it did you may have a faulty coil.
2) Check that your stop switch return spring isn't broken or weak and tripping while in use.
3) If all looks good with the electrical system you likely have a carb issue or a connecting line issue. Would suggest checking all the lines and make sure the impulse line is good. If those are good then pulling the carb apart and check to make sure everything looks clean and there's no crap inside.

The 550xp/2253 may be known for some heat related issues (especially hot restart from heat soak), but they're not a bad saw and served many professionals for years. Get it sorted and you'll be happy.

The 3 series Huskys & 0 series Stihls seem to be just fine. A good 346 & 372 will do most stuff a non pro needs. So wil a 026 & 044/046. Or for that matter a xl12 & 925, or 10-10 & 82cc Mac. All are light and strong enough. What happens when the solenoids are no longer supported? Pro's can write them off and keep new tech, but us amatures tend to keep saws a fair bit longer.

Back