New "second saw" advice?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ironhand

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
About a year ago, I bought my 235, apparently without enough research. I wanted a lightweight, 35cc range saw to limb, cut small scrub-brush, and carry on my ATV. I also wanted something less expensive to replace than my 365 (which was my only saw at the time), so if something happened to it while out riding, I wouldn't need to light myself on fire.

I am sure that the 235 is OK for what it is, but I am not impressed. The dealers closed to me sell Stihl, Husqvarna, and Echo. I was looking at the:
Husky T435
Echo CS360T
Stihl MS192

Based on what I have read here, and that I like the dealer best of all of them, I am leaning toward the Echo, but would appreciate any input.

The Husky 435 is a much better saw than the 235! And a good saw in that size/price range.

I ran my first Echo a couple weeks ago at the in-laws and I was not impressed at all. It was new and a 32cc I believe and had absolutely no power.

I've never seen or heard of a Stihl 192...

The Stihl MS192 and MS192T are not bad for what they are. Obviously not in the same league as the MS200/T but there are quite a few here on AS who swear by them. Sorry but I have no experience with any of these but if you find a good deal on a used MS200, MS200T or 020T I can tell you that you won't be disappointed. All great saws.

Currently I have a Dolmar PS3410TH and can say that if you have one of these available within your budget it will fulfill your requirements and then some.

I like my little Echo saws, but would skip the top handled for a rear handled saw. People seem to like the CS370 and CS450 saws.

Ima STIHL man myself, at our shop we cant keep the ms192's. They are available in both top handle and rear handle configurements. They are excellent limbing saws. You wont find a tree crew around here without 4 or 5 of them. Trust me, once you run one, you will be hooked. The chain/bar maintenance on them is the easiest on the market. They are light weight and well balance. Great for the small things. :rock:

Latest posts

Back