New to me 576xp and worsening CAD

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all that look at this. New member here after lurking through many posts for many months. Great information by the way. OK, I thought I was catching CAD, but I'm just a lightweight. I burn wood for heat, so I bought a new Husqvarna 359 20" bar back in 06. I have used this saw exclusively until July of this year when I bought a new 545. I have lower back issues so I wanted a light limbing and small wood bucking saw. Got a decent deal, so I jumped on it.

Now I know the 359 is famous for being overweight, so I weighed it. Half full of fuel and oil, 20" full comp, it weighed 18lbs. Weighed a Stihl ms360 20" full comp, right after and it only weighed 16.5lbs. So that got me thinking. "If I'm going to pay the price for the weight, I might as well get a more powerful saw".

So I was looking at the 372xp, 576xp, Dolmar 7910 and Stihl ms461. I am not particularly brand loyal, but I do like Husqvarna. Was looking at a used ms461 when a 576xp non autotune fell in my lap. Guy just wanted it gone for $300. Seemed to run great, idles and revs out good, unfortunately, no bar and chain so couldn't cut with it. But I snagged it up. I know, more weight than the 359, but it will out hustle it when I am bucking 30" oak.

Now, I'm thinking about selling the 359 since it will likely not be used now. But might keep it as a back-up, and maybe start modifying it some.

For the 576xp, I am thinking about a 20" bar and a 28" for "big" stuff, but maybe a 24" would be a good compromise. Thinking .058 gauge so I can use my 20" chains from my 359, but .050 seems the norm in my area. Decisions, decisions. I got 130psi on a compression test, thought it would be more? Saw was warm though. Sorry for the long post, but any wisdom or guidance you experts have on my ramblings is appreciated. Thank you.

If it were me I'd keep that 359 if you have any interest in saw mods. It's about the ideal saw to start on and simple mods wake it up quite nicely.
Thing is the other two can have a lot of potential too and what you learn on the 359 will get your head around port timing, squish, flow velocity, etc.

I'd be pretty keen on a 16" on the 545, a 24" on the 576 and a 32" with skip on the 576.

The 545 has a 18" narrow kerf. Local dealer says I can run a full chisel .325 on that pixel bar instead of the semi chisel. I think I would prefer the full chisel because prior to this saw, that is all I have used. As for me performing mods to the saws, I would be comfortable doing muffler mods, but not sure about any porting. I'd probably send it to someone who knows what they are doing.

Results vary - bar shape and thickness is important - but full chisel chain on a pixel bar on a 545/550 can touch the cutter on the plate on the case. Just check. Sparks and all the left hand cutters being blunt, followed by swearing is my style - but you may be smarter than me. Those pixel bars are so cheap and light that I use them whenever I can.

That hesitation about mucking up a good saw is why I suggested having a play on the 359. There is a lot of information out there and a lot of people on here who would happily provide advice.
The 545 responds well to similar mods, tightening the squish, smoothing out casting imperfections and a muffler mod really wake them up, and there is little chance of making a mistake. Of course it's not in the same league as a pro ported saw, but it's well within the scope of most competent home mechanics.

Weedkilla...Nope, I'm not smarter than you! I would have put that chain on and went right to cutting, and if it were a mishap then I would definitely be swearing and throwing stuff!

Free Will...Thanks for the welcome. Might have a Stihl in my future, never know.

Latest posts

Back