new to site, chainsaw reviews

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
575xp vs. 357xp

Does the 575xp have noticably more grunt/power than the 357xp? I was using my new 357xp yesterday and was not overly impressed. I was cutting 12"-24" oak with a 16" bar, 3/8" chain. I am looking to get something to handle the bigger stuff, doesn't seem like the 357xp has any more grunt than my 200 dollar sears 55cc saw. The 357xp was bogging a few times in the 20" or so red oak not that impressed my sears seems to do the same job...

There will be allot more "grunt/power" in your saw after the "brake in" period, and the 357xp will "outcut" the "200 dollar sears 55cc saw".

:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

My 357xp needed approx 5 to 7 tanks before it started to wake up.I ve done a minor mod to the muffler and it still is coming around.With the 18''bar and Stihl RS chain it is no disapointment,for sure.

I have both saws, Yes the 575 does have lots more power for the big stuff. Don't give up on the 357 use it more and the better it'll get. Had mine woodsported for more power last summer, very impressive improvement.When sawing up firewood logs I start with the 575 for the first tank of gas, then use the 357 for the next tank of gas. Love the power to weight ratio of the 357.

I am only on gallon 2 for my new 357xp and I am very pleased with the performance in hard woods. At this point I am not seeing any need for more saw than this to run a 20" bar.(not usually full bar cuts) I don't know the hp rating on your craftsman though, perhaps it is close? The 575 is another HP and a few pounds bigger than a 357, a whole other class. Did folks catch the statement from El Grande Dogg that there will be more half wrap original displacement 372s at Bailey's come March? I'm sure you have heard just about all here say to get a 372 if you can over a 575. I know I am going to be really tempted!

Could your new saw be sporting an inferior safety chain, fouling your cutting speed? I am liking the woodsman pro RC 3/8 and scored a couple of 70DL(really 19") loops of Carlton RC(the same) for $9.95 on Bailey's close out.

I am only on gallon 2 for my new 357xp and I am very pleased with the performance in hard woods. At this point I am not seeing any need for more saw than this to run a 20" bar.(not usually full bar cuts) I don't know the hp rating on your craftsman though, perhaps it is close? The 575 is another HP and a few pounds bigger than a 357, a whole other class. Did folks catch the statement from El Grande Dogg that there will be more half wrap original displacement 372s at Bailey's come March? I'm sure you have heard just about all here say to get a 372 if you can over a 575. I know I am going to be really tempted!

Get the 372XP. ;)

I am running a 16" bar and chain. The bar is a stock husqvarna, and it's a husky/oregon chain which is 3/8" pitch. I cut hardwood, yesterday was oak on its first tank wasn't so impressed with it. Like I said, my craftsman 55cc seems to do as well thus far. The 357xp bogged a bit through some of the tough red oak pieces, I had to back off and let it rip again. I hope it picks up it's cutting power, so far it behaves like an expensive craftsman, except it costs $400.00 more.....

Back on track, yes the 575 will have more power. They do have a bunch of torque. I run 2 daily. Give that 357 some time to come into it's own. It needs to wake up. Most saws are unimpressive during the first tanks of fuel. Even the mighty 361. You know the saw that cures world hunger and could possibly put the planets into alignment :deadhorse: . Bottom line is they all need to be broken in. Good luck with the 357 it is a fine saw!!!

Is the power of the 575xp close to that of the 357xp, think I should upgrade to the 385xp, before I use the 575xp? I don't want a saw that is real close in power to the 357xp, rather upgrade while I can if necessary.

Dan the 575 power has a different feel than the 357.The power comes on low and stays consistant. No real peaks or dips just smooth. Get on mapquest and find out how far you are away from me. I don't think we are that far away. I have all the saws you are considering. You are more than welcome to try before you buy.

I am just wondering if the 357xp doesn't seem world's away in power from my 55cc craftsman, then how much more power will the 575xp feel? My father has an old dayton, I think it's a badged poulan that is from early 80's and he claims that it has more than both of these saws. The dayton is a 4.5 cubic inch. I have not used my 575xp yet, and could probably trade-up for a larger saw at the dealer if need be and pay the difference. I cut hardwood for firewood and some of the oak is pretty big.

Hahaha, well I'll tell you, it just SO FAR doesn't seem like it's $400.00 better than the craftsman....should I keep the 575xp or is it too close in power to the 357xp, and go for somethign larger?

There are no Dolmar dealers in my area that I know of. Although I hear great things about the Dolmar, I would prefer another brand because of parts and servicability.

I would think the "power" difference between your crapsman 55 and the 357 (2cc of displacement) compared to the 357 vs 575 (18cc difference) would be more than noticeable.

Most seem to knock the craftsman, seems like a great value for the money. The 55cc model has spring anti-vibration, and is very easy to start, not that others are hard to start, and seems like a great buy so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back