New to site, just bought a new saw!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovemountains

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just wanted to introduce myself, Im new to the site but have been lurking around on here reading info on saws for a while, well since I killed my Husky Rancher a few months back cutting out a huge old walnut tree in my back yard. Anyway, Ive been looking for a solid replacement and was leaning toward a Stihl or another Husky or Echo but came across the Ryobi refurbished, after reading all of the great remarks on here I went ahead and ordered one! I just found a link to the Sears professional manual and parts diagram which is the same exact saw as our Ryobi 10532.

http://www.hammerwall.com/Download_Manual/44195/

Im hoping that it turns out to be a great home owner saw!! I still use my old 1979 Homelite XL with a 12" bar for pruning and light work but am getting ready to take down a massive maple this fall so Im hoping the 18" Ryobi will be a good replacement for my Husky that just wasnt worth putting any more $$ into...

I just wanted to introduce myself, Im new to the site but have been lurking around on here reading info on saws for a while, well since I killed my Husky Rancher a few months back cutting out a huge old walnut tree in my back yard. Anyway, Ive been looking for a solid replacement and was leaning toward a Stihl or another Husky or Echo but came across the Ryobi refurbished, after reading all of the great remarks on here I went ahead and ordered one! I just found a link to the Sears professional manual and parts diagram which is the same exact saw as our Ryobi 10532.

http://www.hammerwall.com/Download_Manual/44195/

Im hoping that it turns out to be a great home owner saw!! I still use my old 1979 Homelite XL with a 12" bar for pruning and light work but am getting ready to take down a massive maple this fall so Im hoping the 18" Ryobi will be a good replacement for my Husky that just wasnt worth putting any more $$ into...

Go spend $300 on a stihl MS250 you have a Homeowner saw that will last a life time. Or buy one used on Ebay for $150. If you can blow up a husky rancher then that ryobi doesnt stand a chance.

I agree 100% but

I agree 100% but after reading and reading about the different saws out right now I found that the refurbished Ryobi saws are the same as the RedMax GZ400, which after stopping in the local dealer seem to be a really nice saw and the Ryobi was almost $200 less and right now Id rather keep the $$ in the bank!! My Husky was a great saw but after rebuilding it twice then blowing it up again, and since it was going to need a new bar and chain soon anyway I decided to just buy a new saw!!! Im hoping it will hold up for all the more Ill be using it for these days, I got all the big stuff cleared and cut with the Husky while it lasted... That really was a great powerhouse of a saw but the repair estimate made it not worth it to me, and it had a crack in the oil reservoir so if I forgot to pour the bar oil out when I was done using it Id end up with a nice puddle in and under the case in my garage!!! The GZ400 felt like a good saw and got some great reviews, and the Ryobi seems to have a big following on here so Im hopeful that with a muffler mod Ill be in good shape, probably not as powerful as my Husky but then again it may be :)

Ryobi seems to have a big following on here :)

Following with who? Ive been doing trees for a while, cutting wood even longer. Never met anyone that owned one before. Also never met anyone in the tree industry that depended on one for their living. But with that said, it could very well be a great saw and last you a long time. I wish you luck with it and welcome to the site.

Yeah i would like to know who told you to get a WHAT? Ryobi? Listen buddy I think someone was messin with you, Ryobi makes sex toys, you know , vibrators and such, things that take batteries. savy?

i agree with Stihl and Dan.

ain't nothin' from Ryobi going in my stocking this year or any year.

You can keep buying the cheaper saws and rebuilts but in the end, if you bunched up all your money and either bought one and go into debt a bit for a while or go without a saw for a while to save up, a Stihl will be the best you can buy IMO in the end. Don't waste your money piece by piece. Make the investment you won't regret.

Go spend $300 on a stihl MS250 you have a Homeowner saw that will last a life time. Or buy one used on Ebay for $150. If you can blow up a husky rancher then that ryobi doesnt stand a chance.

:agree2:

Good luck with the Ryobi. It should do ya well for a good bit, but when it does wad up, eyeball the Husky XP's and Stihls a bit harder.

Much less frustrating in the end;)

Make sure to post pics of that tree project!!!

Good ta have ya here!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Welcome to the site... dont know about no ryobi the cheapest saw i own is 372 husky and i hate it dose not handle as good as by ms440 imo and i dont think it has the torq. I have an 026 i ported and love it a friend of mine went cheep and bought the 025 and it is a good saw. good luck and welcome

we shall see!

I hope it holds up!! My Husky held up for years...but after a while every time I went to use it it needed something adjusted or replaced, finally I killed it and passed it along to a guy that either rebuilt it or parted it out!! On the Ryobi, I was referring to these and other threads I came across... Im keeping my fingers crossed that with a few adjustments and perhaps a different chain Ill be in good shape for what I need it to do!! The Ryobi and RedMax saws look like good " budget " saws, Ive been watching Ebay and have not found anything in the price range that I paid for it $99 shipped, in any kind of usable condition... Anyway thanks again for the help finding a new saw, Ill let you all know how it runs as soon as its in my hands!!

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=66515

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMTkVxWyZUo

I agree 100% but after reading and reading about the different saws out right now I found that the refurbished Ryobi saws are the same as the RedMax GZ400, which after stopping in the local dealer seem to be a really nice saw and the Ryobi was almost $200 less and right now Id rather keep the $$ in the bank!! My Husky was a great saw but after rebuilding it twice then blowing it up again, and since it was going to need a new bar and chain soon anyway I decided to just buy a new saw!!! Im hoping it will hold up for all the more Ill be using it for these days, I got all the big stuff cleared and cut with the Husky while it lasted... That really was a great powerhouse of a saw but the repair estimate made it not worth it to me, and it had a crack in the oil reservoir so if I forgot to pour the bar oil out when I was done using it Id end up with a nice puddle in and under the case in my garage!!! The GZ400 felt like a good saw and got some great reviews, and the Ryobi seems to have a big following on here so Im hopeful that with a muffler mod Ill be in good shape, probably not as powerful as my Husky but then again it may be :)

It sounds like you dont want advice. I kinda get the impression you're just trying to stir things up. (are you for real) If you're serious then maybe you should forget the "yea buts" and listen instead of talking. When you wear out the ryobi then get a real saw. The money you spend will go farther in the long run.:givebeer:

What are you doing to that Husky? You have to run the Husqvarna or Stihl 2 cycle oil in those in case you don't know. That cheap crap you get at Wal-Mart isn't good for a real saw. And proper mixing, of course.

I think time will bear out that you should have put that money into your Husky and learned how to operate a saw properly. Husky's don't just do this without either operator error or poor repair work. Or both.

Anyhow, good luck and welcome.

i have found that in the landing on our job,that if the kids run their saws dull they will wear out the saw a third to half faster than cutting with a decently filed chain,these are all brand new husky and stihl

I bought a slightly damaged brand new Craftsmans 55cc with a 20" bar for $150 bucks a little over 2 years ago. I don't use it daily but it's taken down about 20 good size trees so it's paid for itself. It feels about on par with a 029 Stihl power wise, give or take a little. It couldn't take the daily punishment of a Stihl but for a homeowner with some decent tree covered acres, it's more then capable.

I also bought this other Craftsman about 36-40cc with a 16" bar for $100 bucks barely used off of craigslist about 3 or 4 years ago. This little saw sings. I've never had a saw with such a high rpm. I've never had to mess with the carb and hope I never have to because it's spot on. It's been a great little groundsaw and has seen some pretty good usage. Once again, no it probably wouldn't hold up to daily use, but for a homeowner with small or medium size trees it's fine.

If money allows it's better to get the Stihls, Husky's, or even Echos because they hold up better, easier to get parts, and they have higher re-sale value, but for occasional use a lessor brand is fine too, just make sure you use fuel stablizers if it's gonna be sitting for awhile.

I bought a slightly damaged brand new Craftsmans 55cc with a 20" bar for $150 bucks a little over 2 years ago. I don't use it daily but it's taken down about 20 good size trees so it's paid for itself. It feels about on par with a 029 Stihl power wise, give or take a little. It couldn't take the daily punishment of a Stihl but for a homeowner with some decent tree covered acres, it's more then capable.

I also bought this other Craftsman about 36-40cc with a 16" bar for $100 bucks barely used off of craigslist about 3 or 4 years ago. This little saw sings. I've never had a saw with such a high rpm. I've never had to mess with the carb and hope I never have to because it's spot on. It's been a great little groundsaw and has seen some pretty good usage. Once again, no it probably wouldn't hold up to daily use, but for a homeowner with small or medium size trees it's fine.

If money allows it's better to get the Stihls, Husky's, or even Echos because they hold up better, easier to get parts, and they have higher re-sale value, but for occasional use a lessor brand is fine too, just make sure you use fuel stablizers if it's gonna be sitting for awhile.

You're not running it too lean, are you?

You're not running it too lean, are you?

Good question and now that you mention it, it probably is. If it died tommorow it's done a decent job and I just hate to mess with it. It's like the ulitmate sleeper saw, like a 1979 Datsun B210 with a small block chevy shoved in it. :chainsaw:

ain't nothin' from Ryobi going in my stocking this year or any year.

I have a Ryobi router that works pretty good, but for saws I'll stick with Stihl, although that Husky looks pretty nice. LOL

Stihls', pro huskys' only!

hey there, i work as a salesman and mechanic for a Stihl dealership, and we dont even touch a Ryobi saw...people complain about the quality of their Ryobis, Homelites, Craftsmans etc. but the idea is that you invest a bit more money initially, and get an awesome product that will last you years. the Stihl MS 290 "Farmboss" has been their most popular saw for over 20 years, and you can pick one up for under $400 and any official Stihl dealer...20" bar, 3.4 hp, a damn fine saw for 90% of people...my personal experience is Stihl for saws, Shindaiwa for string trimmers, Stihl or Echo for backpack blowers...the Shindaiwa blowers push harder than anything else, but the company has had some slight design issues with their EB8510s, the valves get gunked up quickly. Anyway, that's my piece.

the Ryobi....

I think the Ryboi is a fine saw, for what Ill be using it for from here out... I used it the night before last for the first time and took down two 50' spruce trees, it runs like a top and feels like it has 10x more power than the Sthil 180 that my dad just bought and let me borrow after my Husky blew up, which I don't think was anyone's fault, it was a few years old and I had cut a LOT of wood with it and Ill admit, even though I only use Stihl or Opti-2 mixed 50:1 " I use 1.5 tubes per gallon" I ran the piss out of that saw for a long time and loaned it out to a few people over the years!!! I know Sthil makes a fine product, my FS36 trimmer has held up great for many years too, and like my Husky I run the piss out of it, more so because it gets used weekly.... I didn't mean to give anyone the wrong idea, or "mix things up" I just think that in some cases, people think that just because a saw inst orange and white that they are crap when in fact they all serve the same purpose!! My 79 Homelite XL still cuts and prunes like it did almost 30 years ago and it was a cheap saw in its day... Since I'm not burning wood anymore I didn't need a $300+ saw that will sit in the garage most of the year, and for what I paid I think I got a great piece of equipment but its to each his own, some would argue that Ford builds the best trucks, I say Toyota does but who am I right!!! That's the beauty of our great country... ~Matt

I think the Ryboi is a fine saw, for what Ill be using it for from here out...
Matt,

I agree, I don't think anything is wrong with them, other than the fact they are made in China. Even so, they look like a decent saw and it does have a Japanese Zenoah cylinder in it.

There does seem to be quite a following for the Ryobi since Brad's video he posted. Sure put a spankin' on his ported RedMax 3800s.

Latest posts

Back