new trimming technique

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMO the tree was a removal tree to a safe limit. the utility most likely leaves the responsibility to the property owner once it is brought to a safe limit. the utility company would not allow future legal action against them so they cover their butts by leaving it under the lines.

A day and a half with 2 buckets on a no haul? Wow.

You should go to some conferences and have a few drinks with the training types. They have some real funny stories about inefficient some crews can be. What with discussing every move in comity, smoke breaks, snack breaks, meal breaks...

A few weeks ago I saw the worst hacking I've ever seen around here. Two sugar maples that were nice and full hatracked to about a third left - kind of like a salad bowl, you could put a laser level accross the tops, right in the front yard on a busy street in the guys own town.

The best part is he actually put his sign right in between the two - "Affordable Tree" (I'm sure if he's that stupid he cant use a computer so I dont really care+ he deserves it), the irony was just unbelievable.

It made me realize just how stupid some people in this buisiness actually are. Sad thing is this guys in one of the papers I advertize in, so this is the competition I have to bid against.

Last edited:
I have seen some left that way when they won't let you take a tree that needs to come out down. It's easy to blame the line clearing company for improper tree placement imo the tree was wrong species wrong spot.

I agree tree clearance is a necessity and thankless, but at that point, they need to take the two ugly stubs off, or take the whole tree downa at the churches wishes.

looks like a safety trim & then a residential company comes to do the rest....including brush & debris cleanup, sad enough I have had to do that plenty of times, however I would of atleast took the stubs back to a collar.

LXT...........

That is some of the worst treework I've ever seen. Yes utility work is essential but you can do good work and balance trees without much extra effort.

That is some of the worst treework I've ever seen. Yes utility work is essential but you can do good work and balance trees without much extra effort.

Hi, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all. Guessing from the angle that the picture was taken from the stubs are just below the high tension line. In this area (Merlin) my understanding is the law says below the HT line and ONLY two years of growth. When laws are made by those who do not understand the subject they are trying to regulate the picture is the result you get. The 'Law of unintended consequences'. On the other hand, the people who did this might have thought they were just being artistic, God forbid!
Self regulation of an industry is often not as good as it should be, but government regulation is almost always worse and far more expensive.
eljefe

Balance huh? Like when you have to sidelimb a big conifer? I guess you could just strip it both sides and leave a little Christmas tree top, but you can't if you want it to live, but I guess it would be balanced.

I was the ''leader of the building and grounds growth team'' at a church for a while. When the power company wanted to take out some trees, people listened to me and avoided any such abortion. In any organization without a strong top down organization, iit can get ugly.

The work was done by Asphland, and in other areas, I didn't see any such horrors. I just hope people noticed how good what they did looked compared to the local butchers that are still topping trees.

Wow, I ran into something similar in northern Colorado. A person with any sort of ethics at all would have would have cut less, or removed the tree... How can that trimmer have a job?

Balance huh? Like when you have to sidelimb a big conifer? I guess you could just strip it both sides and leave a little Christmas tree top, but you can't if you want it to live, but I guess it would be balanced.

Ok... There are always exceptions to the rule.

In most cases you can make sympathetic cuts and leave a decent looking tree.

In the case at hand, it would have probably been better to just fell the f*****g thing. Having no before photo to reference it's hard to make any judgement as to the best course of action.

In Scotland I did a lot of line clearance work and I NEVER left a tree looking like that one.

Ah, but you have to respect what the tree owner wants, no matter how dumb.

Up to a point, I agree. I generally refuse to a job if it leaves a tree ugly or unable to recover. Yes; I probably have lost revenue doing this, but my conscience and reputation are clean.

Ok... There are always exceptions to the rule.

In most cases you can make sympathetic cuts and leave a decent looking tree.

In the case at hand, it would have probably been better to just fell the f*****g thing. Having no before photo to reference it's hard to make any judgement as to the best course of action.

In Scotland I did a lot of line clearance work and I NEVER left a tree looking like that one.

Well The tree was too close to make it look good and get clearance. I agree I have not left them looking like that. I have cut them down to ten foot high trunks a time or two! It is usually the tree owner that causes problems as you tell them the tree needs out and they resist and if you start making deals, well; be ready to cut to customer specs after. The only thing imo that will remedy this scenario which has been ongoing since power was
invented is proper tree selection. I have on many occasions seen cone bearing trees planted in a row directly under power lines and cut them to the owners dismay. If they are to expect they have the right to plant any species in the right of way then they need to pay the cost of improper tree selection. In the cases where they were left at the time the lines were installed such as this case they still need out. I would tell the home owner either let us take it down or pay a qualified clearance guy to do your trimming to our clearance specs.

Last edited:
Well The tree was too close to make it look good and get clearance. I agree I have not left them looking like that. I have cut them down to ten foot high trunks a time or two! It is usually the tree owner that causes problems as you tell them the tree needs out and they resist and if you start making deals, well; be ready to cut to customer specs after. The only thing imo that will remedy this scenario which has been ongoing since power was
invented is proper tree selection. I have on many occasions seen cone bearing trees planted in a row directly under power lines and cut them to the owners dismay. If they are to expect they have the right to plant any species in the right of way then they need to pay the cost of improper tree selection. In the cases where they were left at the time the lines were installed such as this case they still need out. I would tell the home owner either let us take it down or pay a qualified clearance guy to do your trimming to our clearance specs.

:agree2:

I feel power companies could seed out pamphlets with their bills explaining
the need to cut costs through proper species planting near lines. Or make
it a requirement that only certified arborists can plant any tree 15' either
side of center of such line and only if said arborist consults with certified
utility arborist on such plantings.

I feel power companies could seed out pamphlets with their bills explaining
the need to cut costs through proper species planting near lines. Or make
it a requirement that only certified arborists can plant any tree 15' either
side of center of such line and only if said arborist consults with certified
utility arborist on such plantings.

Aye, that would be a very good solution to future problems. Unfortunately I can't see them taking up a scheme like that, as every one has an opinion. I have also come to realise just how strong willed you Americans can be when it comes to you homes and land. Nothing wrong with that, but it does make decisions as discussed here very difficult sometimes.

Aye, that would be a very good solution to future problems. Unfortunately I can't see them taking up a scheme like that, as every one has an opinion. I have also come to realise just how strong willed you Americans can be when it comes to you homes and land. Nothing wrong with that, but it does make decisions as discussed here very difficult sometimes.

I am working on it, tougher now days to push the dead weight out of the way. Used to be easier to get rid of the schmucks or stick in the spokes. Simple gravity and cement, now with all this political correct bs it's hard to do business efficient ya know.

Back