New wood burner here with a peculiar question?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale.Z

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
If my firewood is NOT stored in a building / shed how long will it last before it starts to rot? Or does it even matter if it’s stored in a shed?
I ask because if there were such a thing as tree gods they are being very good to me. A little summer storm rolls through and BAMM more firewood! Now this morning the neighbor has a downed red maple that’s begging to be added to my wood pile.

They tell me to expect to burn about 5 cords per season here in east TN.
I currently have approximately 13 cords of red and white Oak 1 cord of silver maple and 1 cord of black locust.

From what I can find on the forum most believe that the oaks take a good two years to cure. If that be true then @ 5 cords per season, 15 cords cut then I should have 3 years worth of fuel.
I guess my question could be, when does a guy stop.
This coming season I plan on starting this new wood burning experience with a cord of oak that has turned gray in color and substantially lighter in weight. It’s dryer then a popcorn fart and looks ready to go to me.
Just don’t want to find myself with a ton of work that’s gone bad.

Thanks

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Long as the wood isnt in ground contact and covered from rain it will last good decade or two easily that is, if you dont burn it before that... if theyre uncovered it will take couple years and theyre goner, depending on weather ofcourse...

My question is how are you going to cover that stack when the t-bars stick up above the tops?

I have three years of softwoods in the stacks that are very similar to yours. Up on pallets that is and in double rows. I cover the to and one foot on the sides with plastic that is very well lashed down with mason's string.

After about three years worth I think I will sell any excess. I mean really, are you going to stop preparing firewood just becuase you have all of yours ready for the next few years? No! The saws must be run to keep them and you healthy.

If you have the room get it...Like has been said, you could always sell a load or two...

Great looking stacks by the way...

If my firewood is NOT stored in a building / shed how long will it last before it starts to rot? Or does it even matter if it’s stored in a shed?
I ask because if there were such a thing as tree gods they are being very good to me. A little summer storm rolls through and BAMM more firewood! Now this morning the neighbor has a downed red maple that’s begging to be added to my wood pile.

They tell me to expect to burn about 5 cords per season here in east TN.
I currently have approximately 13 cords of red and white Oak 1 cord of silver maple and 1 cord of black locust.

From what I can find on the forum most believe that the oaks take a good two years to cure. If that be true then @ 5 cords per season, 15 cords cut then I should have 3 years worth of fuel.
I guess my question could be, when does a guy stop.
This coming season I plan on starting this new wood burning experience with a cord of oak that has turned gray in color and substantially lighter in weight. It’s dryer then a popcorn fart and looks ready to go to me.
Just don’t want to find myself with a ton of work that’s gone bad.

Thanks

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I got 2 words for ya....lucky bastage....sweet pics!
Keep your wood dry and it should last....the hardwood will.

Of the 4 species you listed only silver maple is not good for the long term. red and white oak will last a long time since you have it off the ground and the locust will likely outlast you.

Nice stacks by the way! :cheers:

Very dry wood burning caution

Just a note of caution:

If you've got a stove that can't get TOO hot because of a catalytic converter (or whatever), be careful with really dry (old) firewood. Your stove could over heat and damage the converter. If it gets too hot, just throw in some green(ish) wood to cool the fire and bring the stove temp down.

If you have a fireplace or a stove without a converter ... forgetaboutit.

If I were you I'd use the silver maple first. I had some that I let sit outside for maybe six months and then I put it in the barn. It was starting to get punky when I was burning it that winter.

Most woods if kept inside and dry will be good for a long long time. There are houses hundreds of years old that still have good wood in them. The wood mainly has to keep dry to last.

My barn is usually full of wood when winter burning starts. If I keep wood outside I like for it to be the locust since it will last the longest even out in the weather.

Stacked like that, I would not have a worry of it rotting before you get to burn it. That is a lot of nice stacking. I keep telling myself to just put it all in a pile, but then one day when I have nothing else to do I start a little stack and the next thing you know it's growing from there....:)

Each species is different. Some burn good wet some have to season 2 years. Some are worthless if they set more than a year some stay good for ten years. Bugs love some and hate others. You will learn as you burn. Don't be afraid to ask questions. That is what this site is for.

Each species is different. Some burn good wet some have to season 2 years. Some are worthless if they set more than a year some stay good for ten years. Bugs love some and hate others. You will learn as you burn. Don't be afraid to ask questions. That is what this site is for.

:agree2: I'm on this site probably more than my wife likes me to be. Good lookin stack also.

Just wanted to thank everyone for there advice, opinions and comments about my post. This is a continuous leaning experience for me and my knowledge is increasing daily with the help of you guys on this forum.

Thanks Again and hope everyone has a safe holiday weekend.

Dale
:cheers:

When does a guy stop?

Never. Go until the day you die.

As far as too much wood? never.

I think that oak would be fine in a deck for years. Leave it long until you need it. I have a problem leaving storm-down wood on my land. I like to buck it and deck it as soo as it falls. Then I can g out when I can and butcher it.

I found a ten year old piece layn flat on the ground (in NW Oregon). I butchered it up, and it burned fine the next season.
:agree2:

Wow...!

Now I see why you asked about cutting the long pieces to fit your stove...:bang:!

That's a lot of wood to have to cut to fit...but hey look at it this way: more time to spend running your saw! That can always be a plus:rock:.

Be safe out there:).

Cut, cut then cut some more; sell some of the wood and use the money to either buy one outfit and flowers for your "significant other" or build a lean-to or shed to cover your wood.

Latest posts

Back